C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel smell??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 01:51 PM
c64lucky
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel smell??

I own a 2005 C6 Coupe. I Ordered it new & it currently has about 23,000 mi.. It is always Garaged & Serviced regularly by my local Chev Dealer. I took it out for a drive 2 nights ago.. After a couple hours of my return home & parked in my Garage I noticed a strong Gas smell.. I couldn't see anything leaking??

Yesterday morning I went out to my Garage & there was no Gas smell...

Yesterday afternoon I took it out for a Drive, the same thing happened again.. A while later my Garage smelled like Gas.. Again I could find no leaks?

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any ideas what's causing it & what the Fix is??

Thanks,

Lucky
Old 07-08-2020, 02:04 PM
VolSince69
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 94 Posts

Have never experienced the issue, but have read of similar experiences and know to keep the nose aware.

Check out the Sticky Thread section above the Normal Threads listing titled...

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

The following users liked this post:
zaragoza (07-18-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 04:48 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by c64lucky
I own a 2005 C6 Coupe. I Ordered it new & it currently has about 23,000 mi.. It is always Garaged & Serviced regularly by my local Chev Dealer. I took it out for a drive 2 nights ago.. After a couple hours of my return home & parked in my Garage I noticed a strong Gas smell.. I couldn't see anything leaking??

Yesterday morning I went out to my Garage & there was no Gas smell...

Yesterday afternoon I took it out for a Drive, the same thing happened again.. A while later my Garage smelled like Gas.. Again I could find no leaks?

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any ideas what's causing it & what the Fix is??

Thanks,

Lucky
Sorry to hear this. I am going through the same thing. If you don't already know, GM recognized this was an issue with the fuel system and put a ten year warranty from first date of service. My 09 "special warranty" ran out in 2018, and I'm scheduled to take my car to a Chevrolet dealer next week. Get your wallet out if you aren't a "do it yourselfer." This is a labor intensive fix and will cost you between $1500-$2000 to get it fixed.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:18 AM
jmaci
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I also had this problem. Got it to the dealer within the 10 year special warranty period for this issue.
Here is the notice. May help to take this to your dealer, they may cover it.

Good luck!
GM Special Coverage Adjustment
Old 07-09-2020, 10:25 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,108 Likes on 708 Posts

A dealership is not going to fix your 2005 under that recall (10 years max).
Save yourself some time and money and find a good independent shop to do this repair for you.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:17 PM
c64lucky
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the Car New & am the only Owner & it currently has 23,000 miles. It has been Serviced regularly by the same Dealer since new.

Does anyone know what the actual Campaign Repair was?

Thanks

Last edited by c64lucky; 07-09-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:52 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by c64lucky
I ordered the Car New & am the only Owner & it currently has 23,000 miles. It has been Serviced regularly by the same Dealer since new.

Does anyone know what the actual Campaign Repair was?

Thanks
Look at the link in post #4....it even has pictures. The left tank fuel pump is prone to get a small crack at the hose fitting, allowing gas fumes to escape.

Another relatively common failure is the right tank fuel sending unit. The right tank empties first, which means that sending unit is not immersed in fuel as much as in the left tank. Sulpher deposits can form, causing erratic signals to the fuel gauge. Since dropping the tank is so labor intensive, many will suggest that you replace the RH fuel sender when you are in there replacing the LH pump. .
h8snow (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 09:08 AM
VINAL13
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 205 Posts

Been reading several messages about this issue, I have not experienced any gas smell in my garage or in the 2013 427. However, my friend who recently purchased a low millage 2010 GS has noticed the gas smell in his garage. His 10-Year GM coverage adjustment ran out his past June, lucky for him he took my advice and purchased an extended warranty, the repair will cost him only the repair deductible of $100.00
Fast Dawg (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 11:26 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by VINAL13
Been reading several messages about this issue, I have not experienced any gas smell in my garage or in the 2013 427. However, my friend who recently purchased a low millage 2010 GS has noticed the gas smell in his garage. His 10-Year GM coverage adjustment ran out his past June, lucky for him he took my advice and purchased an extended warranty, the repair will cost him only the repair deductible of $100.00
$100 plus the cost of the warranty.
The following 4 users liked this post by airmed2:
449er (07-16-2020), Fast Dawg (07-15-2020), reasonable suspicion (07-15-2020), wideglideleon (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 12:53 PM
VINAL13
Pro

Originally Posted by airmed2
$100 plus the cost of the warranty.
So what is you point?

Please don't bore us with another "An extended warranty is a waste of money...." discussion..

Last edited by VINAL13; 07-15-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:54 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by VINAL13
So what is you point?

Please don't bore us with another "An extended warranty is a waste of money...." discussion..

the point is that it didn’t cost him ONLY 100 dollars, which is pretty clearly stated
wideglideleon (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 03:24 PM
VINAL13
Pro

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
the point is that it didn’t cost him ONLY 100 dollars, which is pretty clearly stated
Ok, whatever you say...
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 PM
airmed2
Drifting

VINAL13's failing to comprehend the obvious. Not looking to start "the warranty topic" argument, only pointing out a fact. I don't know what the extended warranty cost, but if it was $2,000, any body can add $100 to that and deduce that the fix was actually $2,100. Pretty easy math. You only get ahead hoping you have more problems.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:10 PM
VINAL13
Pro

VINAL13's failing to comprehend the obvious. Not looking to start "the warranty topic" argument, only pointing out a fact. I don't know what the extended warranty cost, but if it was $2,000, any body can add $100 to that and deduce that the fix was actually $2,100. Pretty easy math. You only get ahead hoping you have more problems.
Your right EXTREMELY easy math, I posted this once before.... needs to be reposted:

Unfortunately, the opinions on extended warranty programs are skewed by those who:

A- Have never purchased but state the assumed popular opinion.
B- Purchased and never had a failure.
C- Purchased and had a BAD experience when getting payment for a covered failure.
D- Purchased and had a GOOD experience when getting payment for a covered failure.

When someone states a comment about these programs you need to find out where they fall into these categories to get any real value from their “opinion”

Pay attention here comes the MATH part:

My ex-husband had Endurance on a 2017 Ford F-350 King Ranch he purchased from a private party seller. The original owner clocked enough miles during the initial year to burn through the factory warranty. He purchased the Endurance plan that covered the most items, their Supreme Exclusionary package. It was not cheap, for a 5 year / 100K mile plan it was almost $4,000. The truck had just about every option including the 6.7 Turbo-Diesel, during the first year of ownership several issues came up including transmission, AC, radio, exhaust, and a leaking sunroof. The biggest repair was a faulty turbo that required replacement. He eventually got rid of the truck after a year and a half of ownership due to the obvious number of repairs and received a REFUND on the balance of the Endurance warranty. In this case the cost of the Endurance warranty was worth every penny and then some. All repairs were fully covered and done at a Ford dealership, absolutely no issues with payment, a quick phone call to get authorization to take vehicle to dealership for repairs was all that was needed. The extended warranty gives YOU piece of mind, just like any other insurance policy.

BTW, what brainless IDIOT would actually HOPE for something to go wrong so they break even or are ahead of the game when it comes to extended warranty costs.

Last edited by VINAL13; 07-15-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Fast Dawg (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 05:21 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Disagree. Your logic is faulty.

You have insurance on your car, right? That's to pay for any damage *if* you have an accident that's your fault. The same "easy math" applies to the extended warranty. I bought one for a 15 C7 I owned. I had one repair on that car under the extended warranty that I paid $1800 for and that repair essentially refunded the cost of the warranty. Same logic with insurance. If you pay $1000/year and have an accident, the repair minus your deductible will absolutely cost you more than several years of insurance payments. Make sense?
Old 07-16-2020, 06:43 AM
airmed2
Drifting

Insurance for a car is a legal requirement. Big difference in how one must spend money. Yes, I get it, it's a peace of mind purchase; I've bought it before, and actually used it well above the cost. But this brainless idiot got smart with my money and figured out peace of mind actually cost a lot more than the odds of needing it. I don't really care if anybody get's one or not, but with your initial comments about your recommendation that your friend was lucky, I couldn't help but chime in. Personally, peace of mind for most that understand the extended warranty business enjoy knowing they keep their hard earned money to themselves and that they rarely pan out to the initial amount forked out.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,740 Likes on 3,016 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

OP, Unfortunately you are in for an expensive repair especially if your car is a automatic. GM has a technical service bulletin out for this repair but will cover it only if the car is less than 10 yrs old & has less than 120,000 miles. This repair can be 2k+ at a GM dealership
Fast Dawg (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 09:08 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by vinal13
your right extremely easy math, i posted this once before.... Needs to be reposted:

unfortunately, the opinions on extended warranty programs are skewed by those who:

a- have never purchased but state the assumed popular opinion.
B- purchased and never had a failure.
C- purchased and had a bad experience when getting payment for a covered failure.
D- purchased and had a good experience when getting payment for a covered failure.

When someone states a comment about these programs you need to find out where they fall into these categories to get any real value from their “opinion”

pay attention here comes the math part:

my ex-husband had endurance on a 2017 ford f-350 king ranch he purchased from a private party seller. The original owner clocked enough miles during the initial year to burn through the factory warranty. He purchased the endurance plan that covered the most items, their supreme exclusionary package. It was not cheap, for a 5 year / 100k mile plan it was almost $4,000. The truck had just about every option including the 6.7 turbo-diesel, during the first year of ownership several issues came up including transmission, ac, radio, exhaust, and a leaking sunroof. The biggest repair was a faulty turbo that required replacement. He eventually got rid of the truck after a year and a half of ownership due to the obvious number of repairs and received a refund on the balance of the endurance warranty. In this case the cost of the endurance warranty was worth every penny and then some. All repairs were fully covered and done at a ford dealership, absolutely no issues with payment, a quick phone call to get authorization to take vehicle to dealership for repairs was all that was needed. The extended warranty gives you piece of mind, just like any other insurance policy.

Btw, what brainless idiot would actually hope for something to go wrong so they break even or are ahead of the game when it comes to extended warranty costs.
🤙🏻

Last edited by reasonable suspicion; 07-18-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

☝️☝️☝️Uncalled for and hateful ☝️☝️☝️

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel smell??

Quick Reply: Fuel smell??