C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you use an Oil Extractor on a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 06:10 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can you use an Oil Extractor on a C6?

I've been changing my oil on the C6 through the plug for the past 15 years. I recently bought an oil extractor for my wife's Audi Q7 and I was curious to try it on the C6. My intention was to extract the oil and then pull the plug to see how much oil remained after the extractor finished. However, I could not extract even a drop of oil. I assume there is some baffling preventing the tube from getting into the oil pan. That's all fine as this was just an experiment but I am wondering if anyone could could get oil out of their C6 through an extractor?
Old 06-23-2020, 09:00 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I have to use an oil extractor on my boat engines and it takes forever. I wouldn't buy a car without an oil drain plug to cha ge oil with.

You could probably get to it from the oil fill port if you had to,
Old 06-23-2020, 09:46 PM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 123 Posts

I have an extractor, but it always seems to leave a considerable amount of oil in the pan--anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart. I use to use as I was keeping up with my kids cars and doing 8 oil changes a year it saved time. To be honest, I stopped using it a few years ago and wen't back to just draining it from the pan in my own cars.

As I change the oil in my C6 only once a year, it's not a big deal to put it up on the QuickJack and change it the old fashioned way.

Last edited by HobbesTiger; 06-23-2020 at 09:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MontanaZR1 (06-25-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 01:30 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Wonder if some hoses are smaller. I cannot get my in any further and nothing comes out. As I mentioned though this was just supposed to be an experiment to see how much was left. I definitely like it for the Q7 as everything including the filter is on top. Less value for the C6 given the filter is under the car. Still I thought it would be an interesting test.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:13 AM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K
Wonder if some hoses are smaller. I cannot get my in any further and nothing comes out. As I mentioned though this was just supposed to be an experiment to see how much was left. I definitely like it for the Q7 as everything including the filter is on top. Less value for the C6 given the filter is under the car. Still I thought it would be an interesting test.
I should have mentioned that I've never tried it on my C6. I have the dry sump, so I don't even know if an extractor would be a possibility.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:27 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by S2K
People claim its a godsend for my Mini too. I'm not so convinced, because they also say that the fiberglass rod for the dipstick can break and ruin your week, so why you'd want to remove it all the time for oil cha ges is beyond me. On the other hand, they use a stupid rubber sealing washer on the drain pan that is single use, though to be honest I'd think you'd want to replace that just to avoid (some of the) German car oil leaks.

Anyways, oil extractors take FOREVER. And you have to keep going and pumping it more to get more vacuum, drain plugs are much faster. I guess the extractor is cleaner, if you have time.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:45 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FAUEE
People claim its a godsend for my Mini too. I'm not so convinced, because they also say that the fiberglass rod for the dipstick can break and ruin your week, so why you'd want to remove it all the time for oil cha ges is beyond me. On the other hand, they use a stupid rubber sealing washer on the drain pan that is single use, though to be honest I'd think you'd want to replace that just to avoid (some of the) German car oil leaks.

Anyways, oil extractors take FOREVER. And you have to keep going and pumping it more to get more vacuum, drain plugs are much faster. I guess the extractor is cleaner, if you have time.
I don't know how much you drive but I am certainly not "removing it all the time" for oil changes. The Q7 gets about 2 changes a year. Additionally, the extractor does not take forever. The Q7 takes over 6 quarts and it drains quickly without having to continually pump. Get it started and maybe do some pumps near the end. Perhaps some cars don't work as well (note the C6) or perhaps the extractor in question isn't very good. For me on the Q7 it is much easier and quicker. As mentioned it would be less a value proposition for the C6 but this was always just supposed to be a test.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:07 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by S2K
I don't know how much you drive but I am certainly not "removing it all the time" for oil changes. The Q7 gets about 2 changes a year. Additionally, the extractor does not take forever. The Q7 takes over 6 quarts and it drains quickly without having to continually pump. Get it started and maybe do some pumps near the end. Perhaps some cars don't work as well (note the C6) or perhaps the extractor in question isn't very good. For me on the Q7 it is much easier and quicker. As mentioned it would be less a value proposition for the C6 but this was always just supposed to be a test.
The extractor I use for my boat pulls the 3 to 4 quarts each engine holds in like 20 minutes. It's super tedious, that said, it's designed for use on PWCs and jet boats, so the tube is smaller than the average car dipstixk tube, etc.

Honestly with the mini, the solution is a metal dipstixk tube from the aftermarket, but they're like 100 bucks, which is absurd. Especially considering its a cheap car with a lot of miles I'm gonna sell, lol.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:12 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

To change the oil by extraction, the car has to be set up for it. Otherwise, trying to fit a small tube down the dipstick tube just isn't going to reach the bottom of the oil pan.

On my Jaguar, when I remove the oil filler cap there is a small 8mm steel tube that is routed down to the lowest part of the pan.

Many Euro cars are now set up this way with top mounted oil filters. Extracting oil when the car is set up for it only takes minutes. Far faster than jacking the car up, removing the large air dam belly pan, then the drain plug. Some members on my Jag forum have tested extracting the oil then jacking up, removing the drain plug. All have reported the equivalent of an extra shotglass of oil missed by extraction. So, when designed for it, extraction is fast and efficient.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 06-24-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:30 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 195 Posts

No.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:54 AM
AZ_DSOM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The one I have I can't get a drop out of the Vette either. However, it drains my wife's Honda in under four minutes. Turn the wheels all the way to the left, spin the old filter off, spin a new one on, fill it, and done.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you use an Oil Extractor on a C6?

Quick Reply: Can you use an Oil Extractor on a C6?