C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure reading low

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 12:48 PM
08vette4LT
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure reading low

I have an 08 with the LS3. The oil pressure indicator on the heads up is on and the reading goes as low as 27 PSI at Idle. And goes up to about 40 when at higher RPM. The manual says it can go this low but I seem to remember it would go higher in pressure and didnt go this low. I bought a new sensor to see if the sensor is going bad. Waiting for it to cool down now. Anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where the sensor is at?
Oil level is full.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by 08vette4LT
I have an 08 with the LS3. The oil pressure indicator on the heads up is on and the reading goes as low as 27 PSI at Idle. And goes up to about 40 when at higher RPM. The manual says it can go this low but I seem to remember it would go higher in pressure and didnt go this low. I bought a new sensor to see if the sensor is going bad. Waiting for it to cool down now. Anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where the sensor is at?
Oil level is full.
The oil can go as low as 6 psi and still be normal (at idle). Usually, wet sump engines average about 40 psi when cruising.

Your scenario sounds like everyday for both LS2 and LS3.

Most sensors fail at full max.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:57 PM
Bronk
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

Oil level is full.
My 2010 GS has recorded the same numbers as yours, and it is still going strong after 40,000 miles. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:38 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

My base 2010 has the same numbers as yours. If there is an issue we BOTH have it!
Old 06-14-2020, 10:16 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,108 Likes on 708 Posts

Mine runs between 29 at idle and 42 with higher rpm. Been this way for almost 50,000 miles now.
The following users liked this post:
RobJoy (06-22-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 08:10 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

On a really hot day when my oil temps get up around 215 - 220 degrees , my idle oil pressure gets down to 24 -25 lbs.. It has been like this for years with no ill affects ,so I would say your fine... As long as your oil pressure goes up normally when you hit the gas you shouldn't have any problem.It doesn't sound like you have an oil sender problem, but if you want to change it out the sender is on the drivers side behind the intake manifold, There are videos on Youtube showing the procedure ...WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-15-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:38 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
On a really hot day when my oil temps get up around 215 - 220 degrees , my idle oil pressure gets down to 24 -25 lbs.. It has been like this for years with no ill affects ,so I would say your fine... As long as your oil pressure goes up normally when you hit the gas you shouldn't have any problem.It doesn't sound like you have an oil sender problem, but if you want to change it out the sender is on the drivers side behind the intake manifold, There are videos on Youtube showing the procedure ...WW
Strange difference with oil pressure's in different cars.Hot idle on a hot day and pressure on mine is 40 psi and over 70 psi above 4,000 rpm
Old 06-15-2020, 10:03 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Oil level is full.
not trying to override your situation but...
...i just installed a brand new crate LS3 about a month ago. i got around 2k miles on now. no issues at all,
until this Saturday. i almost finished a 500 road trip when, i came to a stoplight. was met with a warning of low oil pressure.
it was reading below 10psi. i gave it a little rev and it did jump up to around 20 psi. i still had about 40 miles to get home.
luckily it was mostly freeway. pressure was running about 25-30psi the whole way ( usually would have been closer to 40 ).
let it sit overnight and, when starting it the next morning, after the initial gauge sweep, the oil pressure needle sat at 0 psi for about 2 - 3 seconds than, went to 40psi. i then took it for a short spin at 19mph / 1600rpm, oil pressure ran up to 125PSI!!!
( new worlds record? ). another quick run showed a 118psi reading. later in that day, it was reading pretty much what at it normally did ( 30ish psi at idle, 40ish psi at city speed ).
this morning coming to work ( 30 miles city/freeway ), it also appeared to be running normal. my call will be to jegs ( who i bought the engine from ) followed up with a call to GM ( who offered a 3yr/100k mile warranty ). just to get on record my current issue / experience.
how do think either of these calls will go?

Last edited by cgladish; 06-15-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:08 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by cgladish
not trying to override your situation but...
...i just installed a brand new crate LS3 about a month ago. i got around 2k miles on now. no issues at all,
until this Saturday. i almost finished a 500 road trip when, i came to a stoplight. was met with a warning of low oil pressure.
it was reading below 10psi. i gave it a little rev and it did jump up to around 20 psi. i still had about 40 miles to get home.
luckily it was mostly freeway. pressure was running about 25-30psi the whole way ( usually would have been closer to 40 ).
let it sit overnight and, when starting it the next morning, after the initial gauge sweep, the oil pressure needle sat at 0 psi for about 2 - 3 seconds than, went to 40psi. i then took it for a short spin at 19mph / 1600rpm, oil pressure ran up to 125PSI!!!
( new worlds record? ). another quick run showed a 118psi reading. later in that day, it was reading pretty much what at it normally did ( 30ish psi at idle, 40ish psi at city speed ).
this morning coming to work ( 30 miles city/freeway ), it also appeared to be running normal. my call will be to jegs ( who i bought the engine from ) followed up with a call to GM ( who offered a 3yr/100k mile warranty ). just to get on record my current issue / experience.
how do think either of these calls will go?
Doesn't this seem more like a sending unit problem?? ****** I'm no mechanic
The following users liked this post:
Cam323 (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 04:19 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

at this point, i have no idea. mind you, this is brand new crate motor. i drove it yesterday afternoon & today to work. so far, it seems that it's back to 'normal'.
thinking it might be

a relief valve issue. as i mentioned previously, i did the 500 mile break-in procedure (oil & filter looked good with no obvious signs of anything metallic present). with about 2k miles on it now, the oil is still so clean that, you can barely see it on the dipstick.
i'm just trying to contact GM on to make sure that they received my warranty form. and then, at least let know of my situation. hopefully, it's just a one off situation.
what you do expect for almost $8k?

Last edited by cgladish; 06-15-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:16 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Oil level is full.
your readings are perfectly normal when using 5w30 oil

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure reading low

Quick Reply: Oil pressure reading low