C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your fuel gauge wonky after fill-ups?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 08:32 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

This is for the guys whose gauge function returns to normal after driving a few miles...

Your over filling the gas tank... Your suppose to put the gas handle on autofill and let it shut off automatically.. If you dispense the gas manually you squeeze a little to much gas into the tank at the end, and move the pick up prongs off the top of the sender board disrupting the signal...That's why the gauge starts working again after you use about a gallon of gas.. Also not letting your tanks get over half empty will keep the sender submerged and stop the corrosion from happening... .WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-14-2020 at 08:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 07:02 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
This is for the guys whose gauge function returns to normal after driving a few miles...

Your over filling the gas tank... Your suppose to put the gas handle on autofill and let it shut off automatically..
I always let the pump shut off automatically and the issue is still happening.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:04 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Your being too impatient .... Don't worry, give it a little more time and you will have this issue.
You never had the problem because you never had the problem...overfilling the tank does not cause this...
Old 06-14-2020, 08:06 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by joliett
You never had the problem because you never had the problem...overfilling the tank does not cause this...
Makes sense.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:06 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joliett
All I can tell you is 3 guys in our car club, 4 including myself had the problem with the gauge jumping around after filling our tanks.. I talked to one of the guys at the Kerbeck Corvette tent at Corvettes at Carlisle a few years ago and told him what was happening. He told me what I just told you, and 3 of us out of 4 had the problem cleared up with the next fill up. So yes, sometimes over filling the tank can cause the gauge to not work properly..It may not be your problem , but it can be a problem...Do a search on this site and you will find warnings about over filling the tank...WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-15-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:21 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,367 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
All I can tell you is 3 guys in our car club, 4 including myself had the problem with the gauge jumping around after filling our tanks.. I talked to one of the guys at the Kerbeck Corvette tent at Corvettes at Carlisle a few years ago and told him what was happening. He told me what I just told you, and 3 of us out of 4 had the problem cleared up with the next fill up. So yes, sometimes over filling the tank can cause the gauge to not work properly..It may not be your problem , but it can be a problem...Do a search on this site and you will find warnings about over filling the tank...WW

I always consider the source and would suspect information about cars from someone who does not know that you should not overfill the tank..
Old 06-14-2020, 10:36 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,042 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I also never overfill the tank; the filler hose shuts off automatically. The drive home from the station is 1-2 miles and the problem persists, but it's not around when I next use the car, which can be several days or a couple of weeks.

It's strange that, if worn prongs in the sending unit actually do (always?) cause this problem, that the dash gauge ever reads accurately at all and doesn't fluctuate all the time. This might be a good example of the perversity of inanimate objects!
Old 06-15-2020, 07:53 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
I always consider the source and would suspect information about cars from someone who does not know that you should not overfill the tank..
Well, actually your not over filling the tank, the gas doesn't come out onto the ground or anything like that.. What your doing is putting gas in the tank to the point that it causes the sender prongs to run off the end of the plate where it can't make complete contact. This can happen when the gas tank will still hold a half gallon or more gas...WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-15-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:19 PM
dexterandmia33
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem. What if I just ignore it? Does it hurt anything?
Old 06-17-2020, 04:27 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Will not hurt a thing...it may even start working again...

Last edited by joliett; 06-17-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Is your fuel gauge wonky after fill-ups?