C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Hills Corvette Rally cancelled..is anybody going anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:30 AM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,809 Likes on 670 Posts

Default Black Hills Corvette Rally cancelled..is anybody going anyway?

I was bummed (but not overly surprised) that they cancelled the BHCV this year as I planned on attending. The guy I got my C6 from said he'd received MANY emails from vette guys&gals about doing something impromptu during the usual week. He's been selling corvettes for 34 years and has attended the Rally for I believe the last 24 so he knows a lot of enthusiasts. I actually think it'd be kind of a fun departure from doing scheduled things. A bunch of people show up, somebody suggests doing something while another does the same and everyone does what they feel like doing. The last time I was there I didn't have anything scheduled. I spent the entire day driving around just doing whatever and going wherever struck me. I did happen to find a rather long deserted stretch of highway in Wyoming.

Would anybody here consider doing something like this? The more I think about it the more I like it.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:45 AM
w4rmk
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

My wife and I are considering still going as well. I haven't cancelled my Hotel reservation (staying in Deadwood). I figured there would still be some Corvettes around and the Black Hills are a beautiful place to visit even without a coordinated event. A drive out to Devils Tower is always a great day trip. A few meetups/drive as a group would be awesome!

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited by w4rmk; 05-25-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

We went last year (September) and it is a wonderful area. The Needles Hwy is so enjoyable, we went both directions. You will fit through the tunnels easily and the one tunnel opens up to Mt Rushmore. I think the key is whether enough restaurants are open along your travels. Take out dinners get tiring (to us anyway) and eating at different restaurants is part of the fun experience as you wind down each day. As far as lunch, if you do the Devil's Tower trip, grab a sandwich (they make quality & fresh) at the Sinclair station in Moorcroft and take it to the Devil's Tower lot to enjoy a nice picnic lunch there. If you go, have fun!

Needles hwy.

Tunnel opens up to Mt Rushmore in distance.

At entrance to Devils Tower.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:09 AM
w4rmk
Instructor

astepup - any further updates, I'd still like to plan on heading up to the black hills on July 17-18. Have you gotten any updates on smaller gathering? Maybe group dinner/drive one of the days?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 06-02-2020, 05:26 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Was going......Now I'm waiting to see if Vettes on the Rockies is still a go......great weekend and usually cooler temps than Spearfish.....
Old 06-02-2020, 05:30 PM
w4rmk
Instructor

Vettes on the Rockies has been canceled too (not sure why they are saying "postponed", really just a word-play). See the link/banner that says "Vettes on the Rockies, 2020 - Postponed - Click Here".

https://www.lgcacorvette.org/

Last edited by w4rmk; 06-02-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:23 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,809 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by richmadeknives
astepup - any further updates, I'd still like to plan on heading up to the black hills on July 17-18. Have you gotten any updates on smaller gathering? Maybe group dinner/drive one of the days?

Thanks,
Richard
Hey Richard, I haven't heard anything yet but the moment I do I'll post something up. I asked Barry (the salesman I got my car from) to keep me updated. I'm going to check on hotel availability for the second or third week of July and I'm really hoping to hear something from Barry. I might drop him an email next week to see if he has any more info.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:35 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

It's a great trip, but I would prefer to go a little earlier in the year when it's a little cooler. I would stay in Deadwood......a lot more to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Black Hills Corvette Rally cancelled..is anybody going anyway?

Quick Reply: Black Hills Corvette Rally cancelled..is anybody going anyway?