C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New head unit and steering wheel controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 06:26 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts
Default New head unit and steering wheel controls

I just had a electronics shop with a good reputation in my community install a Sony head unit in my 09 C6. They used a Metra ASWC1 for my steering wheel controls to work, but the control button to hang up the telephone is now a source button for the head unit. I told them I wanted it right and they agreed.

What works with a Sony unit so the steering wheel controls work properly? I’m thinking I may have to ask them to order from a manufacturer they don’t normally use. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:44 AM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

May depend on if you have Bose, what model Sony Head Unit, etc. but, the most recommended on site will probably be:

PAC RP5-GM11 Wiring Interface

Connect a new car stereo and retain OnStar®, factory amp, and steering wheel audio controls in select 2000-up GM vehicles

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP5GM11/PAC-RP5-GM11-Wiring-Interface.html
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 11:18 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Hey Fast Dawg. Like FLC6GS stated, the Pac RP5-GM11 is the most recommended wiring interface for the C6 and includes steering wheel controls(SWC). But unfortunately it suffers from the same thing you described above, and that is that it is very difficult to program the phone buttons correctly, if at all. Usually the stand alone steering wheel controls have more luck and are easier to re-program to get the buttons right. I'm not sure if your installer followed all the available options with the ASWC1 or not, but there is an option to try and reprogram it, but if they can't get it right there are different options you could try. Your best bet may be some of the stand alone SWC's from other brands, like iDatalink Maestro's SWC or the stand alone Pac SWC. Pac also sells another wiring interface for the C6, the RP4-GM11, that includes SWC. Other forum members claim to have been successful in getting the phone buttons programmed correctly on the RP4 interface. iDatalink does not sell a wiring interface for the C6, but I believe their SWC is compatible with a C6 and id so, may be your best and easiest choice, just confirm with their website first. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:58 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Fastdawg you are correct. I used this harness with my Sony and the hang up button works as a source button when not on the phone but all my buttons work correctly when I'm on the phone. My 2008 Z51 optioned car did not come with phone buttons. I bought a 2012 steering wheel with the buttons and had to figure out the correct wiring in my steering wheel harness to make them work, and they do. Everything works as it should,

I worked thru my issues with help here........

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-needed.html

Last edited by ls1121; 05-09-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:05 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ls1121
Fastdawg you are correct. I used this harness with my Sony and the hang up button works as a source button when not on the phone but all my buttons work correctly when I'm on the phone. My 2008 Z51 optioned car did not come with phone buttons. I bought a 2012 steering wheel with the buttons and had to figure out the correct wiring in my steering wheel harness to make them work, and they do. Everything works as it should,

I worked thru my issues with help here........

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-needed.html
So what you are telling me is that even though your telephone "hang up" switch works as a source button when you are not on the phone, when you do get on the phone you can use it to end the call? If that's the case, then I won't worry about it.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:18 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
So what you are telling me is that even though your telephone "hang up" switch works as a source button when you are not on the phone, when you do get on the phone you can use it to end the call? If that's the case, then I won't worry about it.
Yes that is what I am saying. That is how mine works, at first I thought there was something wrong, but all is well.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:28 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Dawg, try it and let us know. Curious minds want to know!
Old 05-10-2020, 11:57 PM
Riveroger
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Hey Fast Dawg. Like FLC6GS stated, the Pac RP5-GM11 is the most recommended wiring interface for the C6 and includes steering wheel controls(SWC). But unfortunately it suffers from the same thing you described above, and that is that it is very difficult to program the phone buttons correctly, if at all. Usually the stand alone steering wheel controls have more luck and are easier to re-program to get the buttons right. I'm not sure if your installer followed all the available options with the ASWC1 or not, but there is an option to try and reprogram it, but if they can't get it right there are different options you could try. Your best bet may be some of the stand alone SWC's from other brands, like iDatalink Maestro's SWC or the stand alone Pac SWC. Pac also sells another wiring interface for the C6, the RP4-GM11, that includes SWC. Other forum members claim to have been successful in getting the phone buttons programmed correctly on the RP4 interface. iDatalink does not sell a wiring interface for the C6, but I believe their SWC is compatible with a C6 and id so, may be your best and easiest choice, just confirm with their website first. Good luck.
I used the iDatalink Maestro's SWC on my 05 with a Kenwood and a 2012 steering wheel. everything works..
Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Dawg, try it and let us know. Curious minds want to know!
My wife and I were in the car yesterday and I got her to call me. I couldn’t answer my phone with either steering wheel control button so back to the installer it goes!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:43 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I have programmed my left steering wheel buttons to answer/end calls with RP5-GM11 and my Kenwood.It doesn't come out of the package that way. You must do the custom programming. The Idatalink maestro SW-1mentioned above is the ONLY one the can be programmed (by computer) to do two different functions on a button 1- short press and 2 - long press and hold
Let me know if ya got any questions ....

Last edited by 1FUNC5; 05-11-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:24 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1FUNC5
I have programmed my left steering wheel buttons to answer/end calls with RP5-GM11 and my Kenwood.It doesn't come out of the package that way. You must do the custom programming. The Idatalink maestro SW-1mentioned above is the ONLY one the can be programmed (by computer) to do two different functions on a button 1- short press and 2 - long press and hold
Let me know if ya got any questions ....
Good to know. Many only come to the forum when there is a problem. Maybe it depends on which firmware was installed at the time of purchase. Either way, glad to hear it worked.
The following users liked this post:
1FUNC5 (05-11-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To New head unit and steering wheel controls

Quick Reply: New head unit and steering wheel controls