C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 low beam lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 09:07 AM
jfhoughton
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 low beam lights issue

I have a 2005 c6 corvette and the low beam headlights provide very little light. I had the local dealer check it out to complete the GM light recall and it had already been done. I replaced the hid bulbs but saw no improvement. The passenger side headlight provides slightly better output but overall the low beam lights do not provide sufficient output at nighttime. Has anybody had this issue and could share how you resolved it? Thanks John
Old 04-07-2020, 09:24 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,474 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Ballasts are probably old and not working at full voltage.
The following 2 users liked this post by FAUEE:
4SUMERZ (04-07-2020), Landru (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 09:28 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I've never had an issue with the brightness on my 2006 with over 100K miles on the clock.
Perhaps the lights are adjusted correctly. I know when I removed my headlights to replace the lens, I forgot to take notice of the shims at each bolt. I reinstalled the lights, and never thought of it much....until, ech tiome I met a car at night, they would flash me, and I found that ny drive light was aimed way too high.
I adjusted it down using the adjusting bolt inside the front fenders.
Did the dealer check the aim adjustment?

Good Luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 04-07-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by jfhoughton
I have a 2005 c6 corvette and the low beam headlights provide very little light. I had the local dealer check it out to complete the GM light recall and it had already been done. I replaced the hid bulbs but saw no improvement. The passenger side headlight provides slightly better output but overall the low beam lights do not provide sufficient output at nighttime. Has anybody had this issue and could share how you resolved it? Thanks John
It's the ballast, w/ an '05 good idea replacing both.
The 'test' for determining whether a bulb or ballast was bad was to swap bulbs, usually only one ballast goes bad at a time.
HL on my '08 was out, pissed me off because 99% of my driving is during daytime.
Dealer made sure to inform me one HL was out when getting oil change.
When asked whether bulb or ballast, they shrugged. Said it might be bulb or it might be ballast. Period.
When priced ballast (IIRC, $5-$600) I opted to take a gamble issue was bulb.
Wrong.

There're couple members who've replaced ballasts w/o removing pod, which by book involves removing front facia.
Great idea for anyone familiar w/ ballast location, can work blind and upside down; since, again IIRC ballast is attached to bottom of pod w/ 3-4 screws.
I'm sure none dropped a screw trying to get it started, dropping it into even darker darkness.

Had my performance shop replace ballasts while they did other work.
Since shop went strictly from book they removed bumper, labor alone was not inexpensive.
Not as much as dealer, though.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:29 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Here's a write up I did on replacing the ballast if you're interested in reading it. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-ballast.html
Old 04-07-2020, 12:37 PM
TripleB5832
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

FWIW, I just replaced all bulbs, interior and exterior, with LEDs and the low beams with new, brighter HID bulbs. Huge difference. When I replaced the low beams of course, the new HIDs came with ballasts. I'm not willing to invest in Morimoto's, so went with the bulb swap. I haven't tallied it because I did it over a couple months time and my low and high beam bulbs were my last ones to do, but I probably spent about $250, maybe $350 max on all of them. And I bought the nice little resistor harnesses from sharp light innovations so there was a little extra cost in there for those but well worth it specifically for the taillights. Kinda hard to tell in the pic because its daylight, but they were a major improvement in brightness.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:46 PM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes, switched to Led's 2 yr's ago. Very bright, also did the fog lights. You will not be sorry. Very
Old 04-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
Here's a write up I did on replacing the ballast...
One of the DIYers I recall reading, looks to be in '17.
Gave it a thumbs, beautiful write-up.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:43 PM
info@umnitza.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 330 Likes on 264 Posts

If you want more light output and the low beams aren't sufficient there are 5 or 6 things you can do:
1) You can replace the low beam bulbs with Osram D1S CBB or CBI bulbs, we carry both, great bang for the buck. Given most HID bulbs in the C6 have reached their half-life, so half the light output, this is a great upgrade and relatively inexpensive and simple to swap.
https://www.umnitza.com/osram-xenarc...40cbb-hcb.html

2) LED high beams and low beams - for forum members, you get 20% off.
https://www.umnitza.com/luxen-v3-led...men-6000k.html

3) Replace the front lenses with new fresh lenses.

4) Upgrade the projector itself (this requires opening the headlight, which is perfect when you do #3), you can remove the projector and install a clear lens or replace it with a bixenon projector (requires some custom fabbing).

5) Replace the complete headlight assembly with the brighter Morimoto ones we offer a great discount for forum members:
https://www.umnitza.com/chevrolet-co...2005-2013.html

6) Some other mods we can discuss if you would like to change a few things and are ready to DIY.
Give us a call if you aren't sure - 877 486 6489
Old 04-09-2020, 07:55 AM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Great write up and very good information, thanks to all....

Get notified of new replies

To C6 low beam lights issue

Quick Reply: C6 low beam lights issue