C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM battery charger question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 10:07 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,877 Likes on 4,277 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default OEM battery charger question

Maybe a dumb question but how do you connect the red & black ring attachment to the OEM battery charger? My new Z came with the battery charger & the red/black rings already attached to the battery, but the charger has the cigarette lighter end on it.

I have another CTEK charger that I use right now with the red & black ring attachment connected directly to the battery & I can simply plug in right there at the battery. I’d like to use the 2nd charger for either the Z or my other cars but using the lighter end the cord is too short to reach any of them.

What am I missing with the OEM charger? Thanks!

Old 03-28-2020, 06:33 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 222 Posts

What your arrow is pointing to looks like the quick disconnect for the original Battery Tender, which is what I use. The red and black rings attach to the car, in my case I connected the red ring to the positive terminal on the engine fuse block, and the black ring I attached to a ground near the radiator. In order to use the quick disconnect, you will need to cut the cigarette lighter plug off, and then splice a corresponding quick disconnect. They work great, I have it on my Harley as well.

BTW, you can by extension cables with the quick disconnect on Amazon.

Last edited by BigBlok502; 03-28-2020 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-28-2020, 06:42 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

My oem charger doesn't have that. It has the cigarette lighter plug on one side and the wall outlet plug on the other end. Looks like this one,

Old 03-28-2020, 07:07 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I thjnk that part your pointing to is from another tender. But you an use something like this. A female cigarette lighter adapter.
pat least I think what I’m seeing in your pic.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,877 Likes on 4,277 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by BigBlok502
What your arrow is pointing to looks like the quick disconnect for the original Battery Tender, which is what I use. The red and black rings attach to the car, in my case I connected the red ring to the positive terminal on the engine fuse block, and the black ring I attached to a ground near the radiator. In order to use the quick disconnect, you will need to cut the cigarette lighter plug off, and then splice a corresponding quick disconnect. They work great, I have it on my Harley as well.

BTW, you can by extension cables with the quick disconnect on Amazon.
That’s what I was trying to figure out, quick disconnect rings were attached to the battery when I bought the car but I didn’t see anywhere to connect them to the OEM charger.

I’m currently using the quick disconnect rings that came with the other CTEK charger I had already purchased for my GS. Just thought I was going crazy not being able to connect them to the OEM charger.

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
My oem charger doesn't have that. It has the cigarette lighter plug on one side and the wall outlet plug on the other end. Looks like this one,

That’s exactly what mine looks like but the other connector was attached to the battery when I bought the car, so I assumed they were supposed to connect somehow.

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I thjnk that part your pointing to is from another tender. But you an use something like this. A female cigarette lighter adapter.
pat least I think what I’m seeing in your pic.
Thanks for the link to that attachment
Old 03-29-2020, 08:20 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 237 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

If the ring ends are connected to the battery and the plug is connected to the power socket in the car it will do absolutely nothing. One side of the charger has to go to the car and the other side to house power (120 volt)
Old 03-29-2020, 01:56 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The red and black ring adapter is for a different charger. "Battery Tender" brand.

Last edited by ALS 08; 03-29-2020 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (03-29-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:48 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by ALS 08
The red and black ring adapter is for a different charger. "Battery Tender" brand.
We have a winner. The OE charger just plugs into the power port or cigarette lighter.
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (03-30-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To OEM battery charger question

Quick Reply: OEM battery charger question