C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed State Inspection VA

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

I'd suck up the extra expense of an inspection elsewhere and NEVER go back to the clown who told you sixteen hundred bucks would take care of it. Plenty of licensed garages and mechanics in the state. Get your sticker and then tell the original guy to go suck off.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:16 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 590 Posts

Back when SC had inspections they were $3 which barely paid the labor to scrape off the old sticker and put the new one on. Needless to say they were very lax. If you didn't hit the back wall when you pulled into the bay the brakes were OK. I had an old beater pickup that had a corroded horn button, sometimes it didn't work very well. When I was asked to hit the horn it put out this really weak squawk. Two bays down another car let loose a real HONK. My mechanic said "Hit it again so we can here it down here". HONK. "OK, you pass".
Old 03-16-2020, 02:33 PM
NP Doom
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
I'd suck up the extra expense of an inspection elsewhere and NEVER go back to the clown who told you sixteen hundred bucks would take care of it. Plenty of licensed garages and mechanics in the state. Get your sticker and then tell the original guy to go suck off.
Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Back when SC had inspections they were $3 which barely paid the labor to scrape off the old sticker and put the new one on. Needless to say they were very lax. If you didn't hit the back wall when you pulled into the bay the brakes were OK. I had an old beater pickup that had a corroded horn button, sometimes it didn't work very well. When I was asked to hit the horn it put out this really weak squawk. Two bays down another car let loose a real HONK. My mechanic said "Hit it again so we can here it down here". HONK. "OK, you pass".
i def will. And I would love a honk to pass inspection.
The following users liked this post:
USA1 427 (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 03:42 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

How much are these inspections in other states? In Missouri it's regulated and all shops can only charge you $12.00. Super cheap to hit up a new place. Years ago in KS when they had them (long gone now) the inspection station would sticker your car if you failed and didn't have it fixed there - you can to scrape it off before hitting another station else if they saw the sticker they weren't allowed to perform their own inspection. That was a huge scam. The legit places would put the sticker on lightly because they knew you would want to peel it off. Other places would do whatever they could to make it hard to pull off.

Last edited by dkpnkc; 03-16-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:34 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by dkpnkc
How much are these inspections in other states? In Missouri it's regulated and all shops can only charge you $12.00. Super cheap to hit up a new place. Years ago in KS when they had them (long gone now) the inspection station would sticker your car if you failed and didn't have it fixed there - you can to scrape it off before hitting another station else if they saw the sticker they weren't allowed to perform their own inspection. That was a huge scam. The legit places would put the sticker on lightly because they knew you would want to peel it off. Other places would do whatever they could to make it hard to pull off.
In PA, we have to pay emissions inspection too. Just had my new Equinox inspected at the dealership. Free inspection, but I had to pay for the emissions test, sticker, and inspection sticker and taxes. All together........$63. So much for free inspections!!! It's all a rip off.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:40 PM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

If tail lights are an issue, you can probably pick up a used set of OEM on here or on EBey for a song. I think I have seen them for around $80 - $120.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:31 AM
darkfader
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 36 Posts

14$ for me in West Virginia. I know the guys at the local shop so when I pull in they just want to make sure the lights work and I have insurance. It’s a stress free event for me. No emissions testing in this state.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:13 PM
Corps 'Vette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Just failed at Radley Chevrolet in Fredericksburg, VA

Passed last year at a local tire shop; no changes and one year later... Dealership said the inspector said I had "too much tint all over the car". Windows are all done and legal, eagle eye tail lights, side marker tinted covers. Rule as I understand it is a certain amount of light must get through and the inspector is required to test the amount of light. They aren't doing that. I didn't let them pitch me a deal to get it to pass; I told them to fail it and give it back. Taking it back to the tire shop. The dealer told me "we fail vettes all the time for this stuff". Owner beware.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:48 PM
Xvoyager
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Corps 'Vette
Passed last year at a local tire shop; no changes and one year later... Dealership said the inspector said I had "too much tint all over the car". Windows are all done and legal, eagle eye tail lights, side marker tinted covers. Rule as I understand it is a certain amount of light must get through and the inspector is required to test the amount of light. They aren't doing that. I didn't let them pitch me a deal to get it to pass; I told them to fail it and give it back. Taking it back to the tire shop. The dealer told me "we fail vettes all the time for this stuff". Owner beware.
For sure...take it somewhere else. Had inspections done for 8 years in VA, never a problem; but never a dealership.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:31 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Corps 'Vette
I bought my car new at Radley Chevrolet in Fredericksburg, I was suppose to get two years of oil changes and inspections but I did the first one and decided to never return.

Long wait even though I scheduled ahead of time and then they still hit me with a bunch of charges which I argued, but then just gave up. Awful service department. I just take it to my regular guy that the other cars go to now.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 11-01-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:15 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Do buy a replacement set of OE taillights for about $100 and switch back after passing. I assume that the high price was for a new set of original tail lights?
Old 11-02-2021, 11:07 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

I have not had tinted tail lights or side markers, but I have had tinted windows and never had a problem with inspection here in Virginia.
Even if you remove the tint from your tail lights, you should find another inspection station. That one is trying to generate service business and they'll find something else.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:19 AM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I dont see why he needs to go elsewhere and pay out of pocket again? They will not inspect the car all over again just what failed
install a pair of used oem tail lights and side markers. VA and MD are the worst
One week before moving to Florida I got pulled over for tinted taillights and side markers got a mandatory repair order or my license
would be suspended. I ignored the ticket since I was moving to Florida and registered my car there this was 3 years ago
Old 11-02-2021, 11:22 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by veneno
I dont see why he needs to go elsewhere and pay out of pocket again? They will not inspect the car all over again just what failed
install a pair of used oem tail lights and side markers. VA and MD are the worst
One week before moving to Florida I got pulled over for tinted taillights and side markers got a mandatory repair order or my license
would be suspended. I ignored the ticket since I was moving to Florida and registered my car there this was 3 years ago
I have literally taken my car back to the same shop and told them I fixed the problem and passed even though I never touched a thing.

The safety inspections in Virginia are sketchy.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Dave_in_VA
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NP Doom
Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions before I take car back in.

Any insight/suggestions sincerely appreciated.
WHere are you located in VA?

If in Northern VA, I can recommend a great private shop. It's where I take my highly modified 2005.

In general, never take anything other than a basically new car to a dealer for inspection. Dealers put cars up on a lift to find anything wrong possible. Remember their business is to install new parts and perform services on car. So they want to find things wrong. Most mechanics get a percentage of billings or have other financial incentives to fix "stuff".

Send me your location.
Cammar94 (02-01-2022)
Old 11-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Dads2kconvertible
Drifting

Received 646 Likes on 428 Posts

Some interesting reading in the VA state inspection manual. https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/pdf/Saf...anual-2021.pdf
I used to be a vehicle inspector in Texas. Customers can call the DMV inspection station supervisor (their number is posted on a sign at the station and on the inspection report) if they have a complaint about an inspector. The one time I got a call from the station supervisor it was because I failed a truck for a power steering fluid leak. I had forgotten the only underhood leaks that fail are brake fluid. Supervisor just clarified that with me and that was the end of it.
Multiple times shops have tried to fail my motorcycle because I won't demonstrate the turn signals for them. Since most shops rarely inspect motorcycles they don't know that turn signals are not an inspection item. I show them the criteria at the TX DMV website and explain there isn't even a space to mark turn signals pass or fail on the motorcycle page of the inspection report software. That's been enough every time so far. Worst case they could fail the bike, I'd get the inspection report, call the station supervisor and have them correct the shop, then come back the next day.

Texas window tint laws vary. State allows one light transmission percentage, other jurisdictions can be more restrictive. We were told a story in the inspector class about a customer that removed their windows when they came back after failing the inspection for too dark window tint. The car passed. The customer was told the car isn't required to have doors, next time it might be easier to remove them instead of the windows.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:39 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I see more and more dealership wrench turners as parts replacers. I hate to call them mechanics because what I have seen are people that are nothing more than read the screen and replace the listed item. In you case the easy fix was to replace the lens, max profit and no need to think. We have made it easier for the dealership to hire less knowledgeable service personal. One time in my life I worked on a training program and was told I could not train the students to have basic skills and knowledge to be able to perform their work without a specific written task because it would make them too valuable in the workforce and could go elsewhere to work. Keep them dumb is a better approach?

Get notified of new replies

To Failed State Inspection VA

Old 11-04-2021, 06:17 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I lived in Virginia for a while and high tailed it back to America...North Carolina as soon as I could. douchebag Va. cop gave me a ticket for no front license plate, a different cop pulled me and said putting it in the front windshield would be good enough. I needed Inspection so I bought a plastic plate holder and attached permanently 4 suction cups and then stuck it on the front bumper cover, the Dealership service manager chuckled a bit and the passed my car for inspection. DO NOT return to that douchebag dealership that rejected you, I would bet he just figures that you drive a Corvette so you are stupid and have money. F' him go somewhere else and tell anybody who will listen about this Dealerships underhanded tactics. Have a good day.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:18 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

P.S. how about telling us the name of this stealership?
ladamas (02-02-2022)
Old 11-04-2021, 09:30 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been taking Corvettes to the same shop in Virginia since 2004. The owner is always fair to me. Unlike some shops, he will install parts that I buy and bring to him, such as fuel injectors.

Quick Reply: Failed State Inspection VA