C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Charging System?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 04:13 PM
JDawg
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Service Charging System?

Hey folks,
​​​​
2006 Corvette Z51, 3LT, manual transmission, 88,000 miles.
​​​​​About a week a go, I was driving and dropped the hammer to redline through 1st and 2nd gear and I noticed the volt gauge drop to about 11 volts, it went back to normal about 14.3 volts, then the service charging system on the DIC came on. I have read all the threads on this, checked grounds, alternator, battery and starter are fine. Horn works, fuses good, no dimming of lights, usually the first signs of bad alternator. I have turned on all electronics, lights, a/c on high and it doesn't happen, only when I gun it! It starts fine as well. I am just stumped at what else it can be, no codes. Everything charges fine at idle, normal driving, only does this when I gun it.

I hope someone can help, can't enjoy the drive if I am wondering if she is going to die on me.

Thanks in advance,

JDawg

Last edited by JDawg; 03-06-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:57 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Mine would do the same thing. My belt was so worn it would slip on the pulley when the Rpms came up fast
Old 03-06-2020, 05:07 PM
JDawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by baxsom
Mine would do the same thing. My belt was so worn it would slip on the pulley when the Rpms came up fast
Thanks for the reply! My belt is new, but there could be a possibility of grease or something on it. I may go take a wire brush to it and see if that helps. Cheers!!!
Old 03-07-2020, 06:45 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

It was the alternator in my car's case - there was no noticeable voltage fluctuation but replacing the alternator corrected the issue.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:21 AM
JDawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
It was the alternator in my car's case - there was no noticeable voltage fluctuation but replacing the alternator corrected the issue.
Thanks Mad Max! Mine checked out okay, but I did read where someone had the alternator issue, but it was the brushes or something to that nature that came loose. I think that is what it is going to come down to check next.

Love the profile pic!

The following users liked this post:
Mad*Max (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:33 AM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts

Could the tensioner be getting weak and not keeping the belt tight enough?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:42 AM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I have the same issue after changing several alternators the warning still comes on every time I start the car. Charging voltage is good at 14.4V
JDawg (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:51 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I had this issue and have it again. First time mine would do it it was a wire in the alternator that when I got on it would spread from centrifugal force and contact the stater.

This time it just comes on immediately when I start the car. I think it is the starter connection to the starter wires. Going to scotchbrite and clean the posts to see if that is the answer.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:36 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by KEZ06
I had this issue and have it again. First time mine would do it it was a wire in the alternator that when I got on it would spread from centrifugal force and contact the stater.

This time it just comes on immediately when I start the car. I think it is the starter connection to the starter wires. Going to scotchbrite and clean the posts to see if that is the answer.
similar to my experience and solution was replacing cable from battery to starter. Picked up increased resistance in cable due to internal corrosion in the cable. Replaced (along with starter) and no issues since.
JDawg (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 09:02 PM
JDawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by 88redconvert
Could the tensioner be getting weak and not keeping the belt tight enough?
Possibility, but its not even a year old, had the balancer replaced and they replaced the tensioner as well.

Last edited by JDawg; 03-07-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:04 PM
JDawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by KEZ06

Thanks for the reply, I am planning on doing that tomorrow. I checked and tightened those the other day, but didn't take them off to clean them.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:07 PM
JDawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by dpigguy
similar to my experience and solution was replacing cable from battery to starter. Picked up increased resistance in cable due to internal corrosion in the cable. Replaced (along with starter) and no issues since.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, this is driving me crazy. I have put a lot of sweat, blood and profanity in to this car, to get her running like new. Oh, I forgot, alot of Benjamins too!
Old 03-09-2020, 02:07 AM
FactoryZ51
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JDawg
Thanks for taking the time to reply, this is driving me crazy. I have put a lot of sweat, blood and profanity in to this car, to get her running like new. Oh, I forgot, alot of Benjamins too!
On my a4, got the same message, turned out to be loose and ultimately broken transmission cable link to the shifter (under the console). Pain to remove the console, but worth the check so you don't get stranded.!
JDawg (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 10:54 AM
JDawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by dpigguy
I took the starter cables off Sunday and cleaned them, but no dice. They did need to be cleaned though and I ordered a starter just in case, not looking forward to installing it. I think I am going to look into the alternator before replacing the starter though.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:55 AM
JDawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by FactoryZ51
On my a4, got the same message, turned out to be loose and ultimately broken transmission cable link to the shifter (under the console). Pain to remove the console, but worth the check so you don't get stranded.!
How did you track that down?
Old 03-10-2020, 05:03 PM
FactoryZ51
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JDawg
How did you track that down?
i was getting all the same service charging system messages and symptoms. Then the shifter cable bushing gave out. Im guessing that it was loose and on it's way out. Check that first, it seems more daunting than it is, but way easier than changing the starter first. Maybe you dropped the 🔨 a little too hard...thor. Yours is an m6, but I'm guessing the linkage might be similar.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/3372584-diy-2005-a4-shifter-cable-repair.html

Last edited by FactoryZ51; 03-10-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:21 PM
JDawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by FactoryZ51
i was getting all the same service charging system messages and symptoms. Then the shifter cable bushing gave out. Im guessing that it was loose and on it's way out. Check that first, it seems more daunting than it is, but way easier than changing the starter first. Maybe you dropped the 🔨 a little too hard...thor. Yours is an m6, but I'm guessing the linkage might be similar.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-repair.html
The shifter cable bushing is only on the automatic, right? I have a manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Charging System?

Old 03-11-2020, 11:09 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I had that issue and ended up being two fold, the cable on the starter end was black and on the positive end, also the starter solenoid melted.
I replaced the battery cables and the starter and no more issues.
JDawg (03-11-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 06:51 PM
JDawg
Advanced

I am not very good with electrical stuff, but there are some obvious things I see. The center shaft bushing cracked and the electrical contacts looked corroded. Would appreciate some input on this and some knowledge if I should buy an alternator or have someone rebuild it.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:14 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Slip rings look like they can still be cleaned up/still useable, Brushes look fine but would contact clean out the housing to make make sure they are not bind in the channels at higher RPM's.
As for the rest, basic cleaning with a little dielectric grease to make sure you have good connections across the board.

And if the coil winding plastic Cage was broken, would not be getting higher voltage even at lower RPM's. Same for bad grounding connection of the alternator to the bracket and motor.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nator-fix.html

Quick Reply: Service Charging System?