C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C6 Convertible Owner (with questions)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 11:33 AM
SK '08
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to the site & Congrats on your Corvette !
Old 02-09-2020, 08:20 PM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Took a shakedown cruise to the Blue Ridge Parkway today - right front TPMS acting up - losing signal - checked tire with air gage & it's OK.
Anybody want to steer me in the right / inexpensive direction?
Been doing a little searching, and like everything else there seems to be mass confusion.
Will swing by my local trusty service station tomorrow to see what he has as I know he deals with them.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:25 AM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by basicblur
right front TPMS acting up - losing signal - checked tire with air gage & it's OK.
Anybody want to steer me in the right / inexpensive direction?
Been doing a little searching, and like everything else there seems to be mass confusion.
Will swing by my local trusty service station tomorrow to see what he has as I know he deals with them.
My search-fu must be getting better (at least the computer is running faster at the moment).
Got all the OEM part #'s & tracked down some reasonably priced OEM Delco TPMS sensors.
'Course, my favorite garage's machine can't handle run-flat tires, but he steered me to one of his buddies that can.

Guess I'll wait a few days as the light has gone on / off a few times after cranking the car - I'm assuming the sensor / battery is about to go.
Mebbe these few days of cold weather killed off a weak battery?
Old 02-10-2020, 08:29 AM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by salt6
I found the instructions. It looks like if you have a two-wire it will only be one color. Four wires will be multi-color. There is a post on the forum on how to add a dimmer but I can find it.

Thanks for the info - every little bit helps.
I'm hoping Wind Restrictor will come thru and e-mail me a PDF of instructions.
Paperwork on these things seems to be top secret for some reason.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:58 AM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Wind Restrictor just came thru - e-mailed me a PDF of the installation instructions.
One more piece of paperwork tracked down...
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Bronk
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerman
welcome to the forums, you'll have better luck with questions over in the c6 section congratz!
c6 huh??
The following users liked this post:
LuthRavin (02-28-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:36 PM
salt6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Can I get a copy of the PDF? I like to keep this kind of stuff on a tablet so it's easily available.

Steve
Old 02-10-2020, 05:03 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Welcome to the world of C6 Convertibles! I have had mine for many years and have enjoyed it each mile!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:52 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,178 Posts

The installation instructions
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
014 C6 Illuminated.pdf (1.80 MB, 55 views)

Last edited by madsonp; 02-10-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:24 PM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Wind Restrictor just came thru - e-mailed me a PDF of the installation instructions.
One more piece of paperwork tracked down...
Stopped by the dealer today & got printout of the Vehicle Information Sheet & Vehicle Build Sheet.
Beginning to see light at the end of the paper scavenger hunt...

Also stopped by the local stereo shop - will probably let them troubleshoot the inoperative cigarette lighter & the lights on the Wind Restrictor later.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:53 PM
salt6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by salt6
Can I get a copy of the PDF? I like to keep this kind of stuff on a tablet so it's easily available.

Steve
Thanks
Old 02-11-2020, 07:06 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,468 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Congrats. I've had my LeMans blue convertible for 14 years. Still puts a smile on my face. Your exhaust tips look like Borlas. The early systems did not have the Borla logo on the tips as I have Borla on my car without the logo on the tips. The mufflers should have their logo, though. Your rear spoiler looks to be the ZR1 style. Enjoy your new ride!!!
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 AM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Your exhaust tips look like Borlas. The early systems did not have the Borla logo on the tips as I have Borla on my car without the logo on the tips. The mufflers should have their logo, though.
Thanks - browsing Borla's site, I'm guessing I've got the Axle Back Exhaust “S-Type Classic” - it's the most convoluted arrangement, which is what mine looks like.
If all this rain ever ends or the first time I get it on a lift, I'll see if I can find Borla's name on anything underneath.

Borla was the first thing I thought of, but all of them I'd seen had their name engraved on the exhaust tips.
Based on everything else the previous owner spent money on, I was betting it had an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:21 AM
PAULEB07
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 226 Posts

Welcome!
Nice looking Car!! This is what I like about this forum. Everyone is so helpful! Love reading and posting.
Enjoy the new ride!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:38 AM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I gotta slow down...

Thanks - browsing Borla's site, I'm guessing I've got the Axle Back Exhaust “S-Type Classic” - it's the most convoluted arrangement, which is what mine looks like.
If all this rain ever ends or the first time I get it on a lift, I'll see if I can find Borla's name on anything underneath.

Borla was the first thing I thought of, but all of them I'd seen had their name engraved on the exhaust tips.
Based on everything else the previous owner spent money on, I was betting it had an aftermarket exhaust.
Crawled under the car today - took a pix of a tag on the exhaust & it turns out I have a Billy Boat Exhaust, model FCOR-0515.
Of course, their site says "The Bullet is the most aggressive performance exhaust system to be released..."
https://www.bbexhaust.com/shop/chevy...ust-fcor-0515/

How the heck I thought I saw the Borla arrangement at first glance is beyond me...
Got way too much going on to spend a lot of time on the car right now.

Probably would have preferred something quieter, but I have no problem with the system except at highway speeds.
If you've in "fuel saver mode" and are turning low RPM, it does tend to drone when you hit hills - just have to drop it down a gear - don't know that it's any quieter, but it is less annoying as you lose that low frequency drone.

It is a blast listening to it when around town.

Last edited by basicblur; 02-26-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:00 PM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Spent a little time trying to smooth out the bumps & warts on the 'Vette today.
1. Missing the cover over one of the windshield wiper bolts (it's on the way).
2. Worst looking thing on the car is a heavily faded windshield cowl - 1st time I've used PInnacle Onyx Trim Restorer (has black dye in it) - we'll see how it holds up.
3. Tried the Pinnacle on one of the front fender vents - one is heavily faded (the black plastic piece down in the vent) - guess a previous owner parked it with that side facing the sun?
Reached down inside the vent with a 1" foam painter's brush - didn't work too well - too many streaks - will go back for a 2nd coat later.
4. Hit all the scuffs / scrapes with Griot's Perfecting Cream - haven't broken out the random orbitals yet, but did pretty well just hitting 'em by hand.
The faded / splotchy looking windshield pillars look like they may polish / buff out well - won't have to worry about painting them.
5. Would like to go around the faded black trim surrounding the trunk opening, but going to wait & see how the Pinnacle holds up.
6. AmorAlled the trim under the rear bumper - wish I had hit it with the Pinnacle instead (next time).
7. Got a Mother's PowerCone - soaked it with chrome polish & jammed it up all four exhaust pipes - not bad, but the darn pipes are a bit too large for the PowerCone to fill them up - maybe I'll try a PowerBall next time?

I went by both of the body shops that do my work to see about getting all the faded black trim painted, but neither seemed to be too thrilled about the job. Been pricing new stuff - some of it's not too bad (windshield cowl) but they burn you on shipping.

After living with the car a while, I'll see about getting some of the trim replaced or painted - just don't want to spend that kind of money until I've lived with it a while.

BTW - I FINALLY put the top down for the first time the other day - been waiting for all this rain to end, and didn't want to try it for the first time away from home. Think I might have the window / tonneau cover problem (hitting the back window) - heard a rather loud bump when I was working the top, but didn't know what it was - just found the posts covering the problem in here yesterday.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:19 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 325 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

BTW - I FINALLY put the top down for the first time the other day - been waiting for all this rain to end, and didn't want to try it for the first time away from home. Think I might have the window / tonneau cover problem (hitting the back window) - heard a rather loud bump when I was working the top, but didn't know what it was - just found the posts covering the problem in here yesterday.
Here's the best fix I found on your top window hitting the cover. Mine was a little different. Top of strap was on side of rail where it was held on with a small rivet. I was able to drill rivet out and replace with small bolt, washed and nut. Easier than doing strap down below as video did. Washer helps solid hold on new hole. You may have to go to bottom of strap if strap is not on side at top. Just another standard problem caused by poor design. Mine now still working right. Think I took up closer to 1/2 - 3/4" for new hole.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 02-26-2020 at 12:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New C6 Convertible Owner (with questions)!

Old 02-28-2020, 09:46 AM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Here's the best fix I found on your top window hitting the cover. Mine was a little different. Top of strap was on side of rail where it was held on with a small rivet. I was able to drill rivet out and replace with small bolt, washed and nut. Easier than doing strap down below as video did. Washer helps solid hold on new hole. You may have to go to bottom of strap if strap is not on side at top. Just another standard problem caused by poor design. Mine now still working right. Think I took up closer to 1/2 - 3/4" for new hole.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mm_Acb3886k
Does anyone know if GM put out any type of service bulletins etc. regarding fixing the top hitting the cover?
I called the local dealer yesterday - they know nothing - said I should bring the car in to let them eyeball it (which I will).
Would be nice to point them in the direction of any GM notices on the subject.

BTW - I'm having a bear of a time with the search function in here - darn if I don't have better luck searching Google, which often sends me back here for the exact search I was looking for. Can't seem to get the search function in here to be specific enough?

EDIT: Never mind - found the service bulletin with Google.
#09-08-67-013C - Folding Top Contacts Stowage Compartment Lid (Tonneau) and/or Tonneau Contacts Rear Window During Top Operation (Verify Condition and Perform Appropriate Adjustments) - (Mar 21, 2012)
Subject: Folding Top Contacts Stowage Compartment Lid (Tonneau) and/or Tonneau Contacts Rear Window During Top Operation (Verify Condition and Perform Appropriate Adjustments)
Models: 2005-2013 Chevrolet Corvette

Last edited by basicblur; 02-28-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:46 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Crawled under the car today - took a pix of a tag on the exhaust & it turns out I have a Billy Boat Exhaust, model FCOR-0515.
Of course, their site says "The Bullet is the most aggressive performance exhaust system to be released..."
https://www.bbexhaust.com/shop/chevy...ust-fcor-0515/

How the heck I thought I saw the Borla arrangement at first glance is beyond me...
Got way too much going on to spend a lot of time on the car right now.

It is a blast listening to it when around town.
There is a major difference in BB and Borla tips. Borla has rolled tips while BB has really nice finished double wall tips. Should have been pretty easy to eliminate one or the other. Enjoy your new car!👍
Old 02-28-2020, 10:55 AM
basicblur
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by saplumr
There is a major difference in BB and Borla tips. Borla has rolled tips while BB has really nice finished double wall tips. Should have been pretty easy to eliminate one or the other. Enjoy your new car!👍
I'm like water circling the drain - got so much going on lately (elderly / deceased parent) that I'm just circling problems / research - hit it a lick and move on - come back later when I have more time and narrow down the problem / research.

Currently got it in the garage torn apart, waiting on the UPS, USPS, FedEx guys to arrive with all the bits & pieces to make a used car "like new" again.
Of course, the out of state dealer I bought from dropped the ball on getting the vehicle info to my state DMV.
My 30 day tags are about to expire before my state has received the vehicle info so I can register it.
I HATE the look of those 30 day tags...

If I had bought a coupe, it would probably live outside - since it's a convertible, it's probably going to get my single garage spot.

Quick Reply: New C6 Convertible Owner (with questions)!