C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 02:45 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Question

Question. I am looking at purchasing a Corvette very soon. Currently I have two very interesting prospects. The first is A 2002 C5 Z06, Black, 92000Km.
The second is a 2005 Coupe, Silver, with the Z51 suspension, 92000Kms.I have been researching both cars and they are similar in performance and each
offers something I like and something I don't.
The Z06 is lighter and Black is my favorite color but it has the kind of weird FRC styling that I'm not crazy about. I'm sure it would grow on me.
The Z51 has nicer styling, but I really don't like Silver. I know I could have it painted, but why bother.
Both cars are within a grand of each other in price and I'm sure I would be happy with either. My question is: Has anyone here owned both of these cars? Or at least
a C5 Z06 and any C6 Z51. And if so which would you have rather kept in the long run? Which car basically made you happier?
Thanks to anyone or everyone in advance for any input.
Corvette Crazy in Canada.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

HP is pretty much about the same between the 2, but the C6 has the upgraded electronics and other improvements that the C5 will not have. As a general rule of thumb get the newest one you can afford. I've owned both a C5 and a C6 (the C5 wasn't a Z06), and I like the C6 much better.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:03 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

All things being equal...C6.
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 03:30 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I'm fairly certain you can find a C6 in Black if you don't rush your purchase. If you are in Canada, you won't be driving it anytime soon in the winter, so why rush.
As stated, a C6 is more refined than the C5, as the C7 is more refined than the C6. Gm made improvements each year from 2005-2013 to the C6 which improved the interior, or handling, or options.
I have a list of the improvements if you want to see them (Taken from the Corvette Black Book)

The rule of thumb is always buy the newest model and year that your budget allows.
When I was searching for a C6, I looked at both the 2005, and 2006. I went with the 2006 for a few reasons.
1) The 2006 introduced a beefier rear end differential
2) The FM antenna was moved from the B pillar or truck to inside the two rearview mirrors
3) The Passenger Air Bag alarm was moved from the console tombstone and incorporated into the inside rearview mirror. the passenger air bag was automatically engaged with a certain weight was put on the seat. The sensor replaced the manual **** for air bag on/off found in the glovebox.
4) The Auto went from a 4 speed to a 6 speed with paddle shifts.
5) In 2005, on shutdown, if you left your shifter in any gear but reverse, it would kill the battery. This was removed in 2006 and beyond
6) In 2005 and early 2006, a faulty ignition switch steering column lock will prevent the car from starting This was removed after Jan 2006 and beyond. There are numerous threads on this on the forum, and there is a recall to fix. This also affects the C5 corvettes as well.GM has issued a recall for 40,028 Corvettes built during the 2005 and 2006 model years. Specifically, the recall covers Corvettes built between March 2004 and January 2006 that have the tilt/telescopic steering column (RPO N37). Check your build date on the driver’s side doorjamb to see if your early C6 falls into that time period of manufacture.

Here is some info on the sterrring column lock.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the reported issue is that “repeated movement of the steering column may cause a signal interruption within the column. If this occurs, the message, ‘Service Active Handling System’ will appear in the Driver Information Center, and one or more of the brakes may apply, possibly causing the vehicle to pull to the right or left.” A crash could result if a driver is caught off guard should the car should suddenly pull left or right.

GM will notify owners and dealers will repair the Corvettes free of charge. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438 and GMC at 1-866-996-9463. Owners may also visit the Owner Center at www.gmownercenter.com.

Good luck with your decision.

I now have over 100, 000 miles on my 2006, and have had no electrical issues. I replaced a leaking water pump at 30K miles, but besides regular mainenance items such as batteries, shocks, brake pads, tires, sway bar end links, regular oil changes and greasiing the Z51 zerk fittings, it's been trouble free.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 01-10-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:36 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

My choice would be the C6 Z51.
Better styling, power and amenities in my opinion.
If you don't like the color, wait and get what you like.
I'm in Canada also.
If you're in or near a large city there's lots of choices.
There will be more choices starting April.
Also it's a long time til spring when you can safely drive it.

Last edited by oldcanuck; 01-10-2020 at 03:40 PM.
FAUEE (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 03:52 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

OP, you're caught between lower winter prices here in Canada, but a diminished selection. Personally, if you can afford to wait, keep looking until you find the colour and options you want in the newest year you can afford. I ended up paying more than I had originally planned for a Grand Sport in exactly the colour I was looking for, and lucked into finding a 4LT coupe. I don't begrudge the extra $$. I've yet to see a Brinks Truck in a funeral procession.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:13 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
OP, you're caught between lower winter prices here in Canada, but a diminished selection. Personally, if you can afford to wait, keep looking until you find the colour and options you want in the newest year you can afford. I ended up paying more than I had originally planned for a Grand Sport in exactly the colour I was looking for, and lucked into finding a 4LT coupe. I don't begrudge the extra $$. I've yet to see a Brinks Truck in a funeral procession.
I agree, buy the car you really want the first time, screw the budget. Younwill pay a few grand more, but do what? You will be happy.

That said, the worst C6 is still WAY better than the best C5. You shouldn't pay C6 money, even for a c5z imo.
​​​​​

Last edited by FAUEE; 01-10-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:35 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
You're dead on about the cost right now! Prices are quite good, but as you say, selection is slim. I most likely will wait a bit and find a Black Z51.
But damn it's hard to pass up good deals sometimes!
Old 01-10-2020, 05:06 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

Often the old saying "you get what you pay for" turns out to be true.
FAUEE (01-10-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 11:25 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I owned a C4, C5, and a C7 before I bought my 09 C6. I went with the 09 because I am having it modded and three different tuners told me the LS3 was the most solid engine for mods. The C6 is a far better car than my C5. It's roomier and more comfortable. It has a lot of upgrades that you won't find on a C5. My advice would be to take your time. This time of year you will get a better deal - I bought my 09 C6 in November 2019 - but you can wait and find exactly what you are looking for especially with the C8s that are going to start hitting the streets in a few months. I think the selection will get much larger.

Get notified of new replies

To Question

Quick Reply: Question