C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012-2013 C6 GS vs 08-09 C6 Z06 - First time Corvette buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 01:25 PM
MswmSwmsW
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2012-2013 C6 GS vs 08-09 C6 Z06 - First time Corvette buyer with specific concerns...

Hey all, I'm a new member and have been researching these two cars for the past few weeks. I've read a bunch of threads about each, and understand that there's a 50/50 split over which is the best car. I get that the Z06 is faster, more raw, and the better performance car. But I also get that the GS, esp. with the F55 suspension, is maybe the better daily driver and street car.

So, here's my situation. I am looking to buy a car in the 30-35k range and both of these fall within that set. I have never been all that interested in getting a Corvette for myself until the C6 and C7 came out Then, over the past few years, with the depreciation really kicking in, especially on the C6, I'm seriously considering buying one. I currently have a 2017 Miata, which is a great car, especially with all the suspension mods I've done, but it lacks soul in the engine deparment - especially compared to my previous cars such as an 81 911 targe or an 83 Audi turbo quattro coupe. I've spent a lot of time on the track, as I used to own a racing team about 20 years ago. I might want to do some track days on occasion, but I think either of these C6 options are more than capable.

So here's where I'm at:
1. My first love and honestly, preferred car would be the Z06. It has so much more tech in the chassis and the engine, plus the lower weight and mystique. It's just a more pure sports car. It's a beast.
2. The counterpoint to that is I'll be driving on the street, commuting 40 miles per day over San Francisco Bay Area freeways and streets every day. i've read that the suspension in the Z06 is kind of brutal. But... I don't know if that is from the perspective of the average driver, or if it is still pretty harsh to those who are used to stiffer suspensions. My Miata has Fox coilovers which are a fair bit stiffer, but nothing crazy.
3. Reliability - After all the reading I've done, my concerns over the longevity of the LS7 engine have only grown. I've seen several references to the heads failing again after supposedly being repaired. What's the deal with that? If I get one of them, am I really looking at rebuilding the heads every 10-30k miles? I get that it's a high performance car, but even my air cooled 911 would scoff at that expense. The ones I've found around me all have less than 35k miles, but I don't think they've had the heads redone. Hell, even if they did, I'd be worried about the repairs being done correctly and permanently.

On this topic, it sounds like I'd be looking at what, 4000 to have the heads rebuilt/exchanged with a repaired set? I read the article about the wiggle test not being a reliable measure of wear, and the best way to check the condition of the valves is to remove the heads. That seems pretty invasive to me. Is there a way to reliably check the engine during a pre purchase inspection to actually determine whether the valves need repair, or does the engine really need to be disassembled? Is there truly a permanent fix to the valve issues, or is there still uncertainty about what is really going on? How much does that permanent fix cost?

4. Because of the issues in the 3rd point, it really seems like the GS is the better overall car. It has the looks, great sound, it would be a few years newer, so it'll have the updated interior and the (apparently) awesome magnetically adjustable suspension which is supposed to be really nice on the street. I like the idea of something a bit softer for my daily driving, to be honest. Plus, the LS3 is such a well supported engine with minimal issues such as the LS7's ongoing valve problems.

So, I dunno. I think I'd be plenty happy with either one, but the Z06 is just such a beast... But the GS looks amazing and still has so much of the performance...

HELP!

Last edited by MswmSwmsW; 12-01-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:34 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,014 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I loved my 2007 Z06 but the valve issue made me trade it for a 2012 GS automatic. It was a nice car but boring in comparison.

Solved the problem with a 2009 ZR1 with an extended warranty.
The following users liked this post:
hippiefreak67 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 01:47 PM
MswmSwmsW
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I loved my 2007 Z06 but the valve issue made me trade it for a 2012 GS automatic. It was a nice car but boring in comparison.

Solved the problem with a 2009 ZR1 with an extended warranty.
i wish i could do that, but a ZR1 is far beyond my budget...
Old 12-01-2019, 02:21 PM
OKIGS12
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

For a daily driver I think you have answered you own questions the Grand Sport.
If tracking for sure the Z06
My choices have been Grand Sport’s
MswmSwmsW (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 02:29 PM
MswmSwmsW
Instructor

Originally Posted by OKIGS12
For a daily driver I think you have answered you own questions the Grand Sport.
If tracking for sure the Z06
My choices have been Grand Sport’s
you're probably right. i could even sense that was happening as i wrote it all out. but i still have an emotional desire for the big bad Z06.

if the rain holds off, I'm gonna stop by a dealer this afternoon that has an 09 z06 in Orange, which is the color I'd love to get. they're asking a ridiculous 37k for it with 32k miles. so we'll see. i shouldn't buy it today, but if i get it under 30k, maybe it's worth it.

but seriously, my biggest concern is the valve issues. is there a real fix?
Old 12-01-2019, 02:37 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by MswmSwmsW

Yes there is. Have the heads done by one of the reputable shops that repair the heads and don’t worry about it again. I bought an 07 with 32K on the clock. It has a cam intake TB headers and BB exhaust. It also has coil overs on all 4 corners. Makes about 520 HP at the wheels. Car is a blast to drive. Only issue is the heads have not been done. Not a big deal for me as I can do it myself and will this winter. Doing as few other things to the car. If you really desire the Z then do it. You will not regret it. A lot of the Zs have already had the heads done so check to see if it has been done.

That being said nothing wrong with the GS either. For daily driver performance probably more than you will need.

Last edited by Gordonm; 12-01-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:54 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

I say go Z06 since it's your dream and by doing so, you'll drive your dream even on the commute. It's not the heads but the valve guides in the heads and not all of them fail. If you're concerned, shop until you find one with new guides.

OK, disclosure here. The GS has never moved me. While is has some performance upgrades, they don't amount to squat. The performance is in the Z's.

Sure, you have a commute but you aren't always commuting. For those weekend or vacation drives, do you want to be bored? It's a matter of being bored while recreating and having a comfy couch ride while commuting or having the thrill of your life on your days off but also experiencing a bit of a rougher ride on your commute.

It's YOUR life. Live it as you choose.
MswmSwmsW (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 03:00 PM
robsvette
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

For a daily def a gs
MswmSwmsW (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 04:13 PM
LOURDESBELLE
Pro

Received 381 Likes on 218 Posts

I was in the same debate last year. I ended up with with the GS. And I made it exciting by installing an A&A V3Si trim. Makes any Z06 owner a run for their money!
MswmSwmsW (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:47 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Get your dream car, and buy something cheap to commute in. Otherwise you will regret not getting the z, and end up trading for one anyways.
The following 4 users liked this post by FAUEE:
cadyshac (12-02-2019), hippiefreak67 (12-02-2019), MswmSwmsW (12-01-2019), USA1 427 (12-08-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 07:56 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Get your dream car, and buy something cheap to commute in. Otherwise you will regret not getting the z, and end up trading for one anyways.
This is the best advice. Buy the car you want the first time or you'll end up trading for it later. I passed on a few great deals on some JSB C6 because I knew I would kick myself for not getting the wide body like I wanted. Glad I waited for my GS. If you want the Z06, go for it! Don't lead the head issues scare you away - there is a solution.
The following 2 users liked this post by BluegrassMotorsport:
hippiefreak67 (12-02-2019), MswmSwmsW (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:03 PM
MswmSwmsW
Instructor

well, thanks for the advice, everyone. i wasn't able to make it to the dealership today to look at the z06. it was raining and i wouldn't be able to really get a feel for the car. so I'm gonna go next weekend, instead.

i don't think the heads have been done, but I'm just gonna accept that as an expense, i think.

but is there a way to tell if the valve guides are in ok shape without pulling the heads?
Old 12-01-2019, 11:14 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by LOURDESBELLE
I was in the same debate last year. I ended up with with the GS. And I made it exciting by installing an A&A V3Si trim. Makes any Z06 owner a run for their money!

eehhhh.....
****Boosted C6z enters chat****
The following 2 users liked this post by 73DBG:
hippiefreak67 (12-02-2019), Mr. Azrael (12-04-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:22 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Personally I just wouldn’t want to daily a vette. Sure you can, people do all the time....just not something I’d ever entertain.

it does sound like you want to road course this vette. That being said the ZO6 is what you want. Not sure what people are trying to say about the ZO6 suspension, it’s fine I wouldn’t let that hold you back. If you want a C6z get a C6z. If you settle for the GS and that’s not what you really want you’ll chase your tail trying to make it a “ZO6” GS is a great car, LS3 is a solid platform (especially for boost) and it’s got the wide body 👍🏻 but it seems like you like the road course stuff or at least some hard driving on twisty roads. Don’t be scared of the LS7, fix the heads right the first time and you’ll be good to go. You can do them for way less then $4k especially if you can turn your own wrenches.

Get what you want man, don’t settle! You’ve got the budget for either car. So go drive a few and go with what moves you the most, $35k isn’t a small amount of money. If your gonna spend $35k get what moves you. Good luck man, the hunt is the funnest part 🇺🇸
stevesvette (12-04-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 AM
LOURDESBELLE
Pro

Received 381 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG
eehhhh.....
****Boosted C6z enters chat****
Stock for stock, a boosted LS3 will outperformed a boosted stock LS7! You can only go so much boost on the much higher compression LS7.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:13 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LOURDESBELLE
Stock for stock, a boosted LS3 will outperformed a boosted stock LS7! You can only go so much boost on the much higher compression LS7.
well that’s 1000% not true lol, you can go as high as you want not saying it won’t end badly but you sure he’ll can send it til it does.

I’m willing to make a friendly wager that you have a bigger blower then me, but I’m probably making 250+ more whp on 12 psi. Our 60-130mph times are probably a 2 second difference, LS3 is great platform but it’s has zero chance against a proper LS7 build on boost.

LS3 is gonna need to make 20+psi to achieve same power as LS7 on almost half that.

Last edited by 73DBG; 12-02-2019 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:40 AM
hippiefreak67
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

you're probably right. i could even sense that was happening as i wrote it all out. but i still have an emotional desire for the big bad Z06.

if the rain holds off, I'm gonna stop by a dealer this afternoon that has an 09 z06 in Orange, which is the color I'd love to get. they're asking a ridiculous 37k for it with 32k miles. so we'll see. i shouldn't buy it today, but if i get it under 30k, maybe it's worth it.

$37k for an ‘09 Z with 37,000 miles is not that ridiculous. I am willing to bet you will definitely NOT get the car for under $30k. Just look at the prices some of the Z’s are going for on here! Yes, these are private sales and some are a little high, but us Z owners know what we have and love them.
I only recently picked up an ‘08 Z06 w/27xxx miles for $34.
She is Jetstream blue metallic, with the two tone leather interior and it has the factory competition grey wheels. HUD, leather dash Bose sound, NPP exhaust...🙂
Found out after I bought it, thru Betty at the NCM, in Corvette Records and Registry, that there were only 15 made with that option set after she looked up the VIN for me.
I bought it from a reputable dealer. (I am betting they had no idea it was a 1 out of 15 car!). After the sale, I did some digging and found the original owner and we spoke several times. He had the heads done about 18 months prior, and now I have the paperwork for it. A HUGE plus to know that has been taken care of!
To your situation; Have you driven one of each?
Do so if possible.
The Z is raw power. Angry. Ready to hit the track. Ready to guzzle high octane fuel if you are brave enough to open it up.
The GS is more....sophisticated maybe is the right word. Still has monstrous power. It is a wide-body, fat booty car that stands out from the base model. BUT, it rides smoother, quieter, and has a little more comfort built into the cabin. You can always throw on a set of Kooks long-tube headers, hi flow cats and your preference of low restriction muffler and add probably 50 horsepower. You can get really wild and have a supercharger put on and you the be WELL above the hp/torque ratings of the Z.
That said, I would NOT want to drive the Z as a daily to and from work, especially in, where did you say, California traffic?
HELL NO, not even for a week would I do that. The Z is built to run. All Corvettes are really.
So this part is your personal choice.

Get notified of new replies

To 2012-2013 C6 GS vs 08-09 C6 Z06 - First time Corvette buyer

Old 12-02-2019, 07:48 AM
NCC-1701
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey all, I'm a new member and have been researching these two cars for the past few weeks. I've read a bunch of threads about each, and understand that there's a 50/50 split over which is the best car. I get that the Z06 is faster, more raw, and the better performance car. But I also get that the GS, esp. with the F55 suspension, is maybe the better daily driver and street car.

So, here's my situation. I am looking to buy a car in the 30-35k range and both of these fall within that set. I have never been all that interested in getting a Corvette for myself until the C6 and C7 came out Then, over the past few years, with the depreciation really kicking in, especially on the C6, I'm seriously considering buying one. I currently have a 2017 Miata, which is a great car, especially with all the suspension mods I've done, but it lacks soul in the engine deparment - especially compared to my previous cars such as an 81 911 targe or an 83 Audi turbo quattro coupe. I've spent a lot of time on the track, as I used to own a racing team about 20 years ago. I might want to do some track days on occasion, but I think either of these C6 options are more than capable.

So here's where I'm at:
1. My first love and honestly, preferred car would be the Z06. It has so much more tech in the chassis and the engine, plus the lower weight and mystique. It's just a more pure sports car. It's a beast.
2. The counterpoint to that is I'll be driving on the street, commuting 40 miles per day over San Francisco Bay Area freeways and streets every day. i've read that the suspension in the Z06 is kind of brutal. But... I don't know if that is from the perspective of the average driver, or if it is still pretty harsh to those who are used to stiffer suspensions. My Miata has Fox coilovers which are a fair bit stiffer, but nothing crazy.
3. Reliability - After all the reading I've done, my concerns over the longevity of the LS7 engine have only grown. I've seen several references to the heads failing again after supposedly being repaired. What's the deal with that? If I get one of them, am I really looking at rebuilding the heads every 10-30k miles? I get that it's a high performance car, but even my air cooled 911 would scoff at that expense. The ones I've found around me all have less than 35k miles, but I don't think they've had the heads redone. Hell, even if they did, I'd be worried about the repairs being done correctly and permanently.

On this topic, it sounds like I'd be looking at what, 4000 to have the heads rebuilt/exchanged with a repaired set? I read the article about the wiggle test not being a reliable measure of wear, and the best way to check the condition of the valves is to remove the heads. That seems pretty invasive to me. Is there a way to reliably check the engine during a pre purchase inspection to actually determine whether the valves need repair, or does the engine really need to be disassembled? Is there truly a permanent fix to the valve issues, or is there still uncertainty about what is really going on? How much does that permanent fix cost?

4. Because of the issues in the 3rd point, it really seems like the GS is the better overall car. It has the looks, great sound, it would be a few years newer, so it'll have the updated interior and the (apparently) awesome magnetically adjustable suspension which is supposed to be really nice on the street. I like the idea of something a bit softer for my daily driving, to be honest. Plus, the LS3 is such a well supported engine with minimal issues such as the LS7's ongoing valve problems.

So, I dunno. I think I'd be plenty happy with either one, but the Z06 is just such a beast... But the GS looks amazing and still has so much of the performance...

HELP!

Z06 is not a bad daily driver as I have driven my 06 Z06 my 16 Z06 and now my 09 Z06 a a daily driver, the choice for you should be do I want a stick or automatic if its automatic then find a nice GS.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:55 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,317 Likes on 889 Posts

I prefer the Grand Sport with the LS3 for a number of reasons. Has the wide-body styling of the Z06. Has a removable top. LS3 is less prone to problems. You can get the Z06 oiling system in a manual trans Grand Sport.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:58 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,734 Likes on 3,012 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

OP, A couple of thoughts here...
1. You will not get that dealer to drop down at or below 30k for that Z
2. There are reliable vendors who will fix your heads forever
3. The wiggle test does not work & there is no other way short of pulling the heads to do an examination
4. You want the Z, go & buy one instead of buying the GS & always thinking that "I should of"
The following 4 users liked this post by 449er:
hippiefreak67 (12-02-2019), IMXCITD (12-08-2019), Mr. Azrael (12-04-2019), stevesvette (12-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 2012-2013 C6 GS vs 08-09 C6 Z06 - First time Corvette buyer