C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 01:50 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by maverickmk
I think he means the tire will hit the fender when he hits a pothole.
Gotcha... I think several folks above already mentioned it's not a problem at that spacing. I could be mistaken.

I have the same size wheels, and believe me, if you hit a pothole, you have bigger issues than the inner fender rubbing. More like a bent wheel.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:17 PM
robsvette
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
Looks good. Hope it works out for ya.

How do you keep from stone chipping the hell out of the sides of the car? I get them on the same car with no spacers.
Huh? What does a wheel spacer have to do with potholes?
Left is before spacer, right is after spacer. U see that big wide splash guard? Matches perfectly well with that rear stock splash guard too

Old 12-20-2019, 11:25 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

^^^^ My rear brake ducts have a ton of chips on em. Could be from me 'turning into the stones' I suppose. Meaning, kick the stones up and turning in hard makes the car hit em before they're past the rear. Idk. I can't help but think moving the tire outboard more would exaggerate that effect.

Not looking to put em on my car, just thinking aloud.

PS. I'm pretty sure my car has the same splash guards (unless yours are aftermarket).
Old 12-21-2019, 12:21 AM
robsvette
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^^ My rear brake ducts have a ton of chips on em. Could be from me 'turning into the stones' I suppose. Meaning, kick the stones up and turning in hard makes the car hit em before they're past the rear. Idk. I can't help but think moving the tire outboard more would exaggerate that effect.

Not looking to put em on my car, just thinking aloud.

PS. I'm pretty sure my car has the same splash guards (unless yours are aftermarket).
That's because you don't have these aftermarket front splashguards. They will protect from any flying rocks the front tires lift
Old 12-21-2019, 08:44 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by robsvette
That's because you don't have these aftermarket front splashguards. They will protect from any flying rocks the front tires lift
I searched the thread for your posts but I did not see anything mentioning splash guards. Where did you get them and how much were they? Those I would install even without wheel spacers.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:03 PM
smd001
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by robsvette
Yes 20mm. Same one from the link the guys posted above. I had my front wheel turned in the full pics I took which kinda doesn't show well
Looks great! I have the those mud guards and side skirts waiting to go on mine. I like how they look.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:28 PM
Function Racer
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 107 Posts

Some people have a hard time with perspective digitally so I took a quick snap shot from the top down to show flush-ness with the outer lip of the tire to the fender. As you can see in the photo I tried to align the camera with the molding on the hatch area to keep it straight(ish).

Hope this helps anyone looking into spacers. As I stated before, next time I go to track the car (Probably April 2020) I will take some photos.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:44 PM
LOURDESBELLE
Pro

Received 381 Likes on 218 Posts

^^^ Nice! And this is with stock GMZ06 wheels and a 20mm bolt-in spacers on all fours, correct? Did you have to grind/cut the wheel studs to clear the wheels mounting surface?
Old 12-26-2019, 09:46 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

It does look a lot more pronounced when you take the picture from the side. Looking down on it like that shows there is clearly a illusion. Although the fender does turn in at the bottom so there would be exposure to some degree.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:37 AM
Function Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by LOURDESBELLE
^^^ Nice! And this is with stock GMZ06 wheels and a 20mm bolt-in spacers on all fours, correct? Did you have to grind/cut the wheel studs to clear the wheels mounting surface?
Yes, stock Z06 wheels. Yes 20MM on all 4 corners.

I have aftermarket ARP studs, so no. But if you have stock studs, you will have to grind/cut the non-threaded portion of the studs off to clear.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:38 AM
Function Racer
Racer

It does look a lot more pronounced when you take the picture from the side. Looking down on it like that shows there is clearly a illusion. Although the fender does turn in at the bottom so there would be exposure to some degree.
I suppose there would be exposure to the... Mud guard(s)? I have ZR1 side skirts so both sides have a guard against any rock or debris flinging.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Spacers are terrible for your car, period.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:49 PM
LOURDESBELLE
Pro

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Explain why it would be.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:45 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Explain why it would be.
Changes the load characteristics on the bearings. Maybe not much in some cases, but maybe too much in some. Might not ever cause a problem...but then again it might......roll the dice.....
Old 12-28-2019, 11:00 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Explain why it would be.
Because the supported load (weight of the car) is no longer centered on the wheel bearing which can lead to early bearing failure.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:31 AM
CorVetteJones
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

So I think the spacers look great and I plan to put them on soon. All the spacer naysayers are speculating about problems. Not one person has posted a problem after actually putting them on. So based on that I think there might be a small load change on the bearing but it’s negligible.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:49 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I don't need spacers on my GS, but I think 1/2" or less spacers would not present a problem .... The real problem is when someone (ie "Ricers") install spacers that stick there wheels way way outside the wheel wells ... that wrecks the wheel bearings and throws the whole suspension out of wack.

Look at this **** .......

This guy also has so much negative camber dialed in that he has already ruined his suspension

Get notified of new replies

To Let's talk wheel spacers

Old 12-28-2019, 06:02 PM
LOURDESBELLE
Pro

Originally Posted by windyC6
Changes the load characteristics on the bearings. Maybe not much in some cases, but maybe too much in some. Might not ever cause a problem...but then again it might......roll the dice.....
Originally Posted by Dutch08
Because the supported load (weight of the car) is no longer centered on the wheel bearing which can lead to early bearing failure.
Thats true that it will lead to bearing failure. BUT, that would apply to spacers that are 1” or more like you would see in the truck forums-2”,3”, even 5” spacers.
Here, members just want that close to flush look with their vettes that’s all. I think it looks great,IMO.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:13 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

I went to Harbor Freight to get a new jack that was on sale. Took the Vette. When I got back in the garage, I saw a piece of dirt on my hood. Here it was a small stone, obviously thrown up by the tires when I pulled in the driveway. Now, my drive is all paved so it's not like I'm out jumping stone fences or anything. This with stock width wheels, original equipment tires as shipped, and stock backspacing. Still, a stone was thrown up enough for me to drive under it and it hit the car.

Not a big deal, but this is what I was talking about earlier.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:22 PM
ideep29
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I don't need spacers on my GS, but I think 1/2" or less spacers would not present a problem .... The real problem is when someone (ie "Ricers") install spacers that stick there wheels way way outside the wheel wells ... that wrecks the wheel bearings and throws the whole suspension out of wack.

Look at this **** .......

This guy also has so much negative camber dialed in that he has already ruined his suspension

i know... That stance doe... it looks sooooo good. (To each their own, I get why people do it on cruisers)

on another note... anyone got pics of a 1/4 spacer on a base. im trying to figure out if that pushes the wheels past the fender.
Id like to get z06 calipers in the future. I just love the way the caliper looks over the base calipers.

Quick Reply: Let's talk wheel spacers