C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using two sets of wheels & tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 09:19 AM
DonaldWilliam
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Using two sets of wheels & tires

Planning on using two sets of wheels and tires on my C6 Z06. But wondering if I need to have TMPS units in both sets? One set will be for street use and the other will be for track use. Are there any issues to be concerned with?
Thanks for any advice that can be provided.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:44 AM
OKIGS12
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Only one set will be linked to your car. The other set will give you the XX treatment in the computer and give you the tire warning
Old 09-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by OKIGS12
Only one set will be linked to your car. The other set will give you the XX treatment in the computer and give you the tire warning

Correction.

Only one set will be linked at a time.

I have TPMS in both my street wheels and my track wheels. I use the little 25 dollar tool from Amazon to reprogram the car to the new set when I swap back and forth. Takes 15 seconds to do.

Some guys make a PVC pipe, mount 4 TPMS sensors in it, cap both ends. Put in an air chuck and pressurize the pipe to 30 pounds. Toss it in the hatch and set the car to read the TPMS in the pipe.

LG sells a unit that plugs into the computer and fools the car into thinking it is reading the TPMS.

You can disable the whole thing on the track by unplugging the SWPS. But the plug is fragile and doing that a few times will cause you a real issue.

One way or the other you have to do one of the above or the car will give traction control issues on the track.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:37 AM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Correction.

Only one set will be linked at a time.

I have TPMS in both my street wheels and my track wheels. I use the little 25 dollar tool from Amazon to reprogram the car to the new set when I swap back and forth. Takes 15 seconds to do.

Some guys make a PVC pipe, mount 4 TPMS sensors in it, cap both ends. Put in an air chuck and pressurize the pipe to 30 pounds. Toss it in the hatch and set the car to read the TPMS in the pipe.

LG sells a unit that plugs into the computer and fools the car into thinking it is reading the TPMS.

You can disable the whole thing on the track by unplugging the SWPS. But the plug is fragile and doing that a few times will cause you a real issue.

One way or the other you have to do one of the above or the car will give traction control issues on the track.
Sounds like $25 and a little time is the smart way to go in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:08 AM
OKIGS12
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by trebor8008
This is why we use the Corvette Forum New Better Ideas from all over the world !!!!!
Old 09-30-2019, 12:20 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trebor8008
well, to be clear it is 25 for the gizmo on Amazon, plus a second set of tpms for the track wheels.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:23 PM
DonaldWilliam
8th Gear

Thanks for the information, I have ordered an extra set of TPMS units and the reprograming tool today.
The following users liked this post:
Sox-Fan (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

The procedure to tell the car which TPMS sensor to use takes just a few seconds.

Put the car in accessory mode.
Hold lock and unlock on the remote at the same time.
Once the horn blows release the buttons, grab your programming tool and move to the left front wheel. Hold the tool to the outside of the tire, right where the valve stem is located, and press the button on the tool until the horn beeps once. You might have to work with your aim a little to hit the TPMS sensor just right the first time you do it. I have best luck aiming through the sidewall of the tire, not down through the wheel.
Move to the right front, then right rear, then left rear. The horn will beep once for each of the first 3 tires when set, and and then twice when the last and 4th is done.
Take the car back out of accessory mode so you don't kill the battery while you are attending the driver's meeting.
Less than a minute to do.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Last thought. Always carry a spare 9 volt battery. Sucks to get to the track, bolt your track rubber on, and not be able to reset your TPMS because the battery died in the tool.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:06 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I have used two sets of wheels and tires on my C-6 for 5 years. I purchased a set of summer tires mounted on aftermarket wheels with TPMS from Tirerack. I also purchased their reset tool. When I swap mine out I reset my car to the different TPMS sensors and they always work fine.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:56 AM
DonaldWilliam
8th Gear

Thanks everyone for the quick response and providing the very useful information. My plan will be to install the track tires the day before the track event and driving to the track which is about 35 miles away. My previous track vehicle is a Honda S2000 and I just used Bridgestone RE71 tires for both track and street driving.
Thanks again
Old 10-01-2019, 11:44 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

There is also the option to use cloneable sensors as the second set. The car pings sensors for info related to the unique serial number of the sensor in a 1 thru 4 sequence. It's why you can be parked next to another car with the same sensor and your car can't read it. However, with cloneable sensors, you create a duplicate of the unique serial number. You only need to program once and you can swap wheels at anytime. You can get the tire shop who installs the sensors to do the programming, since you'll never need to do it again.

There are two things to be aware of if you do that.
1. Always put the same wheel at the same location on the car of either set. I sprayed a spot of red on the left side hubs and backside of wheels and a spot of white of the other side for easy ID in low light conditions.
2. Store the unused wheels a minimum of 50 feet away from the car. Generally, the batteries in the newer sensors will overpower the old sensors, but you may need to throw one of those aluminized blankets over the street tires in the pits, while you are at the track.

I used Orange Electronics sensors, although I'm not sure they will still pre-program them to match your current sensors. It's been 10 years and I sold the second set of tires/wheels about 8 years ago.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:09 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I realize you have already ordered your TPMSs and tool, yet since I went through this same framework of thinking, I ultimately found the Trackbox was the way to go. There are so many unseen issues that crop up at the track that eliminating the TPMS variables was well worth it for me. So after a couple of frustrating days on the road course, I finally purchased a LG Motorsports Trackbox Tire Pressure Sensor Eliminator and was very glad I spent the $400. Wishing the very best for you.

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 10-02-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 AM
DonaldWilliam
8th Gear

Thanks again for the additional information from everyone on the forum. I will research the LG Motorsorts Trackbox over the winter break.

Get notified of new replies

To Using two sets of wheels & tires

Quick Reply: Using two sets of wheels & tires