C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won’t crank

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 02:05 PM
sloaner
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won’t crank

My 2006 convertible won’t crank when the start button is pushed. Furthermore, prior to pushing the start button, everything works, I.e. the lights come on, the instrument panel lights up, the horn, works, and windows all operate. When the start button is pushed, the instrument panel goes totally blank except for the “engine trouble” Icon remains illuminated. Also all the light etc turn off. The battery is new and I even tried to jump start it in case the new battery was defective. The car did crank and start when the new battery was first installed, and this problem arose about a week later. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by sloaner
My 2006 convertible won’t crank when the start button is pushed. Furthermore, prior to pushing the start button, everything works, I.e. the lights come on, the instrument panel lights up, the horn, works, and windows all operate. When the start button is pushed, the instrument panel goes totally blank except for the “engine trouble” Icon remains illuminated. Also all the light etc turn off. The battery is new and I even tried to jump start it in case the new battery was defective. The car did crank and start when the new battery was first installed, and this problem arose about a week later. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Auto or manual
Old 08-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Jump again and see if it starts. If so you likely have a parasitic drain going on with the new battery that's giving it enough power for the lights but not enough to turn the engine.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:16 PM
jbripps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the solenoid on the starter....that could be the culprit.
The following 3 users liked this post by jbripps:
DesertRunner (11-01-2020), mpicki (10-31-2020), NBVette_Canada (08-21-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 10:22 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

First thing I'd do is have the new battery load tested to be safe. Beyond that, I agree with Narddog. Had the same exact symptoms you describe in the past, turned out to be a bad battery.
The following 3 users liked this post by Welker1:
DesertRunner (11-01-2020), mpicki (10-31-2020), NBVette_Canada (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:22 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jbripps
This has been happening a lot more often as the cars age and the number of start cycles increase. If you can wiggle the battery cable near the starter, you'll know the bakelite is cracked/broken and you need a new solenoid. Most auto electric shops can replace the solenoid for around $30-40, if you remove and replace the starter. More if they do the R&R..Don't waste your money on a whole starter w/solenoid, especially at a dealer.

Be sure to leave as much slack in the battery cable as possible, so the stress doesn't break the solenoid again, since that might be what happened during the recent battery swap.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 08-21-2019 at 01:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
DesertRunner (11-01-2020), NBVette_Canada (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 PM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Just went through this myself. Mine turned out to be a double whammy.... both the battery and the starter.
The following users liked this post:
DesertRunner (11-01-2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM
Ounce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NBVette_Canada
Just went through this myself. Mine turned out to be a double whammy.... both the battery and the starter.
How many labor hours to replace the starter, please?
Old 12-28-2019, 07:43 PM
new 2 me
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Same here, thought it might be a bad battery so I bought a new one, that didn’t work. So I go further down the rabbit hole...bad starter, bad solenoid, bad ground or cable, bad multi plug connections behind battery or under passenger floor board, possible alternator cable fault, I think there are several more electrical issues to be looked at that escape me at the moment (fuse panel relays) but I certainly will need to have those checked out as well.
In case I can’t troubleshoot and repair all this stuff who will do it and how much will it cost? I want to get it running so I can replace the wobbling harmonic balancer, leaking radiator, convertible top strain straps, and the traction control/abs system doc warnings before I install the new drilled brake rotors, Vararam, and dyno engine/trans tune. The car is absolutely mint except for the above listed gremlins and yes I do get in it in the driveway and remember the last time I was able to drive it

Last edited by new 2 me; 12-28-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:12 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

^ Well at least it’s mint other than that.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:45 AM
new 2 me
Racer

Originally Posted by 919cw313
^ Well at least it’s mint other than that.
^^^Exactly, had it six months and I have been able to drive it two weeks
Old 12-29-2019, 09:04 AM
brentsz06
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Battery
Old 12-29-2019, 09:36 AM
new 2 me
Racer

I had the one year old battery the car came with tested at a battery and starter shop I have been dealing with for forty years, they told me it was good no evidence of a dead cell and they put a load test circuit on it telling me the battery had 85% life left. I use a Deltran battery tender rated 1.25amp charge and .75amp maintainer, the battery “green lights” (full charge) in a reasonable amount of time.
But with a lot of info on how needy C6 electrical systems can be I bought a new Delco 85 series battery, it’s manufacturing build date code pre-dated my purchase by two months so its a fresh battery. Put it on the battery tender overnight it green lighted by morning and I think the dcv was apprx 13.2. Installed it, tried to start it but no dice, dash goes black for 4 seconds before returning to normal. I realize new batteries can be bad so I’m going to jump it with my truck (which doesn’t have a hint of electrical problems), and go from there.
If it starts with the jump then I’ve had two bad batteries one new and one a year old, if it doesn’t start I’m inclined to believe it’s a car problem. Yes the battery posts are clean and the cable terminals too.

Last edited by new 2 me; 12-29-2019 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mpicki (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 08:46 PM
mpicki
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jbripps
how do i know if there is any issues with the silonoid?
Old 10-31-2020, 08:47 PM
mpicki
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Welker1
First thing I'd do is have the new battery load tested to be safe. Beyond that, I agree with Narddog. Had the same exact symptoms you describe in the past, turned out to be a bad battery.
bought a new battery and tried to start and still nothing
Old 11-01-2020, 11:20 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by mpicki
Must get underneath to visually inspect starter/solenoid. Do yourself a favor, use a lift.
With a flashlight locate S/S on pass side, use a pliers to grasp each power line giving 'em a slight tug.
If attaching posts are burned/cracked there'll be much movement of wire/lug, want those connections to be tight & secure.

BEST to disconnect battery, BTW.
IF pliers are accidentally grounded you'll have much bigger & expensive problems to deal with.
Be careful.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

bought a new battery and tried to start and still nothing
Originally Posted by Landru
Must get underneath to visually inspect starter/solenoid. Do yourself a favor, use a lift.
With a flashlight locate S/S on pass side, use a pliers to grasp each power line giving 'em a slight tug.
If attaching posts are burned/cracked there'll be much movement of wire/lug, want those connections to be tight & secure.

BEST to disconnect battery, BTW.
IF pliers are accidentally grounded you'll have much bigger & expensive problems to deal with.
Be careful.
I agree with Landru that you need to check the power lines - The plastic on mine shows a lot of heat wear at the starter - I think he's on the right track here. But I have a few questions.

1) Can you put the car in "accessory mode"?
2) Do you hear a "click" from the starter when you try to start it?

Old 11-01-2020, 05:14 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,149 Likes on 737 Posts

Yea as stated before , a bad battery can kill a starter. When the battery voltage is low the starter draws more power (amps) .

To check most grounds = put on the headlights and try to start the car - if the headlights go out there is an electrical issue, Most likely a ground or power cable. Maybe even a bad battery. If nothing changes it's usually the starter.

If the headlights stay lit - Double check by putting 12volts to the S terminal on the starter and see if it cranks. If not it's bad.

Last edited by BLUE1972; 11-01-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine won’t crank

Quick Reply: Engine won’t crank