C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 04:52 PM
Richiez
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fob

I tried to start my C6 Corvette today and when I hit the start button the dash went black and nothing happened.

A neighbor came over with his cables and we tried to jump start the car. Results were the same, dash went black and nothing happened.

Then we tried holding the FOB just below the start button and hit start and the car started,

Does this mean the battery in the FOB is dead?

It allowed me to open the doors, run the windows down and open the trunk?

Additionally, when I got home shut the car off and restarted it with the FOB in my pocket?

How can I tell if my FOB battery needs to be replaced
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Why not spend $5 and 30 seconds of your time and replace the battery? They go bad and cause issues like this. In a pinch, if the FOB appears not to be working due to dead FOB battery, then place it in the glove box slot and car can be started. All of these things are found in your manual. Additionally, you are in the wrong forum.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Richiez
Advanced

Because, at the time I thought the problem was the car battery. How would it was the FOB when I was able ro get in the car amd open the trunk??
Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

The FOB battery could simply be weak and only working intermittently. Spend $5 and 30 seconds and put a new battery in it. They should be replaced every few years either way. At a minimum this will eliminate it as a potential culprit and is a simple, easy fix. Just pop the FOB open, remove the battery and take it up to your local Walgreens or Grocery store or whatever. They stock the batteries.

The other issue that can cause this is if you have ANYTHING else plugged into the car, like a PAL unit, an IPOD, something in the OBDII port etc. If you do, then unplug it.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Richiez
Advanced

Again, I thought it was the car battery. I had just purchased the FOB, that came with a battery. Additionally, I had an extra FOB and two batteries at home.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:51 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

I'm trying to fill in the blanks here. You say your neighbor tried boosting the car and had the same result. Then you tried again to start it holding the fob near the start button and the car started.

Were the booster cables still hooked up at this point at this point?
Was the new fob programmed for the car?
Did you have both fobs with you in the car?
Does the other fob start the car without problems?
Did you get any messages on the DIC when the car failed to start?

Last edited by FatsWaller; 07-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Richiez
Advanced

The boster cables did not help, DIC still went blank, with no message. When i held the FOB (not new) under the starter button the car started. When I got home I tested the FOB battery and it was nearly dead, very weak.I replaced te fOB battery and all is fine. My concern isI didn't know if the problem was the car battery of the FOB? will I get a warning if my car battery needs to be replaced?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:10 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Richiez
The boster cables did not help, DIC still went blank, with no message. When i held the FOB (not new) under the starter button the car started. When I got home I tested the FOB battery and it was nearly dead, very weak.I replaced te fOB battery and all is fine. My concern isI didn't know if the problem was the car battery of the FOB? will I get a warning if my car battery needs to be replaced?
No, you will not get such a message about the car battery or the fob battery.. Also, new fob batteries are sometimes no good.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:16 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

How old is the battery, where do you live, and do you keep the battery on a maintainer? The maintainer greatly extends battery life, and hot climates greatly reduce it. Lots of posts about this on the forum. I change my car batteries every 5 years even if they test good. I'd rather not get stuck on a road trip with a crapped out battery.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
No, you will not get such a message about the car battery or the fob battery.. Also, new fob batteries are sometimes no good.

I caught this on mine a few months back. It's rare but it can make an appearance!

Last edited by EVRose; 07-08-2019 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FatsWaller (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I ALWAYS keep a spare FOB battery in my console.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

The antenna used when the starting the car is in the glove box, not near the start button. There is also a slot in there to stick the fob into in case the fob battery fails or is missing.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

Could have been the jumper cables too. Not every set of cables will work. I usually don't attempt a jump unless I see spark when I connect the jumpers.

Get notified of new replies

To Fob