C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of Convertible questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 AM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
I adjusted the straps on mine last summer and do not recall any "extra" material around the original holes.

So far so good though!
There appeared to be some extra thread sewn in near the factory hole from I saw in the videos. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,094 Likes on 800 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I felt like a contortionist with those straps. I was more concerned with getting the tiny screw back in than getting a peek!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 PM
PCK1221
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced the straps in mine. There was no way to stretch them further- they were so worn. I replaced with oem for about $30-35 but if i do it again i'll diy something more durable.
The following users liked this post:
Trebor (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Dr. Peter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great point.

I suggest getting a California Pop Top to cover your top when outside. I used it when I parked my car overnight in the snow last winter. Although there was serious snow on it, I think it protected the top and the windshield. Great performance! I also use it when I park the car in the summer - I keep the top down but use the Pop Top to keep the interior cool while I am in a store or restaurant. At $150 or so, tt is a great buy for any convertible owner.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 PM
sinkingslow
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 convertible problem

New member,I don't use my vette near enough the top stays up most of the time.being in northern Ohio it came out of storage a month ago,went to put the top down and the hatch came down but would not completely lock in place.And now the top will not go back up,it goes so far and just stops at the point where the hatch is suppose the latch [top mid way up].Any suggestions would be great.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Convertible C6 is the only way to go.......I havent had any problems (knock on wood) with my 05's top. The folding trunk panel will touch the window going up or down because of the straps stretching over time,.but I just pull the window in slightly while raising or lowering to avoid any contact. During the Summer the top is left down for days, sometimes weeks at a time without any problems. I wash the top when the car gets washed. Usually twice a month. I use the same car shampoo for the top as the car along with a microfiber wash mit. To help dry the top I use an electric leaf blower. Twice a year I put a coat of 303 Fabric Protectant on the top to for water protection. It beads water like a good wax. As others have mentioned dont store your top down when it is wet. Enjoy !
Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 PM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Love my ‘05, 212K Vert. Top still looks great. Minimal care, but I have used 303 fanfic protection on it. No evidence it has ever leaked in Florida downpours. Leave it in whatever position I came home in. Window hits, but cannot use 2 finger fix because of Wind Restrictor in the way (which I highly recommend, by the way).
Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 AM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2009 vert with 25000 miles and have had 2 top operation problems - one shortly after purchase which turned out to be a loose pressure release screw on the hydraulic pump (learned that the allen wrench that was supposed to come with the car was missing) and the second was a blown "top switch" fuse in the fuse box under the passenger side toe board a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the fuse and it has worked properly through a couple of dozen cycles since. According to the manual, there are "spare" fuse slots in the fuse box but no spare fuses were in those slots on my car so you may want to pick up some 10A mini fuses and fill the slots just in case; I had to......

Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

The 06 automatic convertible top is a bad design. If I had a choice it would be a manual top!

Last edited by enventr; 06-26-2019 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. Peter (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 11:01 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by enventr
The 06 automatic convertible top is a bad design. If I had a choice it would be a manual top!
Ditto.

I have 13 and mine rubs just like in the video, but not as bad. Might have to deal with that. Mine only just touches.

Mine has a blue top and the previous owner left it down for extended periods. It's got ugly wrinkles in it which are really a disappointment. I Try to always keep it up while in the garage.

A friend with a 10 GS Vert has the motor that pulls the tonneau down not working properly. It's hit or miss and his top has been down for a while now while he hasn't had time to get the part to fix it.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:12 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

As for top up/top down overnight I always leave mine however it is. I never know if I will want the top up or down the next time I drive it.
As for the "scuff" marks on a black top I have used "detailer" spray with some good results. I have also used a light wipe of a back-to-black product.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Dr. Peter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2006 is manual. At first I did not know what you were discussing. Now I'm glad I was cheap!
Old 06-26-2019, 06:00 PM
richp5
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '06 auto top and use the two finger method. Also had to replace the switch in the trunk that says something to the effect about blockage (can't remember exact wording) which prevented the mechanism from working. It was a $128 replacement part that was a plug and two screws so easy enough to do yourself. Both the glass scraping necessitating the two finger method and the switch went out within 5k miles of each other at 40K miles. Generally leave the top up now but for a year left it down until I replaced the switch (only drove it on nice days then).

Last edited by richp5; 06-28-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-2019, 07:55 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I've had 2 C6 Verts. Current is a '13 GS. I'd recommend learning and doing the procedure to put your top up or down manually. That way you'll know how just in case the power option fails. Also, put the correct size Allen wrench in the glove box.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I tried a steamer to get the wrinkles out. It was much better until I put the top
down! As I said a lousy design. My C4 Vert had the orig top and no wrinkles!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 PM
OkieTim1
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the correct size allen wrench? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Red12
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I had an issue with my power top. It would work then not work. I lived with it for a while until I got soaked night. I was 4 months passed the warrantee when I brought it in for repair. They diagnosed a faulty module. Too much grease was used when the car was assembled and dripped on the module and shorted it out. GM refused to pay so it cost me $1,100. No other issues.

Get notified of new replies

To A couple of Convertible questions

Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Convertible C6 is the only way to go.......I havent had any problems (knock on wood) with my 05's top. The folding trunk panel will touch the window going up or down because of the straps stretching over time,.but I just pull the window in slightly while raising or lowering to avoid any contact. During the Summer the top is left down for days, sometimes weeks at a time without any problems. I wash the top when the car gets washed. Usually twice a month. I use the same car shampoo for the top as the car along with a microfiber wash mit. To help dry the top I use an electric leaf blower. Twice a year I put a coat of 303 Fabric Protectant on the top to for water protection. It beads water like a good wax. As others have mentioned dont store your top down when it is wet. Enjoy !
HUH?? You've had no problems with your top (knock on wood)...but the trunk panel hits the window ?......
Old 06-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
HUH?? You've had no problems with your top (knock on wood)...but the trunk panel hits the window ?......
Its really nothing. Over time the fabric straps in the top stretch and become longer, so when you raise/lower the top it slightly touches the folding trunk panel. All you have to do is pull the window (2 finger method mentioned in previous posts) in toward you and the folding trunk panel will go up/ down without touching the top window.......I have had 5 convertlbles and they all have had their little issues because of the materials stretching or shrinking over time.......Hope that clears it up for you....
Old 06-28-2019, 11:33 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
Its really nothing. Over time the fabric straps in the top stretch and become longer, so when you raise/lower the top it slightly touches the folding trunk panel. All you have to do is pull the window (2 finger method mentioned in previous posts) in toward you and the folding trunk panel will go up/ down without touching the top window.......I have had 5 convertlbles and they all have had their little issues because of the materials stretching or shrinking over time.......Hope that clears it up for you....
LOL and understood. But I need no clear up. I have a vert and have been doing the 2 finger tango for years. To be diplomatic I just sometime get "confused" on how people can say that they have no issue at all and then they will describe something that doesn't work quite rite. Kinda like when sometimes you'll see someone say "I've had absolutely no problems with my C-6 in over 100-K miles". Then they will go on and talk about having several things replaced over those 100-K miles......

Quick Reply: A couple of Convertible questions