C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone rig up a custom backup/front camera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 01:44 PM
Banks53
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleB5832
For what its worth, I wanted better sound and front and rear cameras. Not that I had to have the cameras, but I grew tired of asking my bride to get out and make sure I didn't hit a curb when parking. Plus, it makes it super easy to line it up when parking it on my 4 post lift (which is all the time, for the most part). I wanted it to look as close to stock as possible, so put a new head unit/screen in the car. I have the Bose set up, but with CD, not OEM GPS. I wanted apple car play, streaming, etc. So a new head unit was pretty much a given. I put in a Kenwood that had both, front and rear camera inputs. I also installed a steering wheel controls adapter too, so I could retain all my steering wheel controls. This adapter, also took care of the wiring for the cameras....they are always hot, so I can pull them up while in motion whenever I wish and toggle between the two by touching the screen - and they automatically come on when in reverse and forward respectively. I did all the installation myself....I'm very picky so had to make sure they were installed just right. The cameras are Natika.....about $50 bucks each on Amazon. I got the Kenwood and steering wheel adaptor kit from Crutchfield and paid them $25 bucks to make the adapter connections too...well worth it in my opinion.

Oh....after this, still wanted better sound, but did not want to replace the factory amp, so installed new 3.5" speakers in the doors, and new 5.25" speakers in the rear, and ended up adding in Second Skin sound deadening material plus VetteNuts premium insulation. That part was a TON of work, but 100% worth it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Front camera, mounted dead center.

Rear camera, mounted sightly off center passenger side (could not mount dead center).

Kenwood head unit. No switches mounted anywhere, can toggle between the two cameras by touching the middle top portion of the screen when either camera image is active.
Do you have details on exactly what you ordered?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:02 AM
Pegaso
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I also did the sun visor DIY, a bit of work, but happy with the results.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Might be best to go with the Pioneer car AVH-4100 Head Unit.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM
TripleB5832
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Banks53
Do you have details on exactly what you ordered?
Yes, looked it up and listed it below:

From Crutchfield:
- Kenwood Excelon DMX905S
- SiriusXM tuner SXV300V1
- Metra 95-3304 dash kit
- Crutchfield ready harness ($24.99; no part number)
- PAC RP5-GM11 wiring interface

From Amazon:
- Natika backup/front view camera, IP69K (quantity 2; link below)
- $39.99 each
-
Amazon Amazon

Speakers (done at a later date):
- From Amazon: JL Audio C2-350x 3.5" (door speakers; DID NOT remove subs or factory Bose amp)
- From Crutchfield: Focal ICU 130 5.25" (rear speakers)
The following users liked this post:
Randyman2002 (10-27-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:21 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you considered the Garmin cameras that interface with their GPS units? I have one and it works fine. Back up rear camera is activated via back-up lights and displays on GPS screen. Front camera requires selecting front camera broadcast input.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by florida john
Have you considered the Garmin cameras that interface with their GPS units? I have one and it works fine. Back up rear camera is activated via back-up lights and displays on GPS screen. Front camera requires selecting front camera broadcast input.
Wouldn't this require external wires s howing throughout the interior?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:25 AM
tjaved22
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Activate rear camera through stereo?

How can I turn the rear camera on if I wanted through my kenwood unit without putting it in reverse? Maybe I didn’t wire up everything correctly?

As of now, it always turns on when the car is put in reverse, but wanted to have the option of seeing through the rear camera if I wanted without putting it in reverse.

Last edited by tjaved22; 08-26-2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

The camera turns on in reverse, because that's where the installer took the power from (the reverse light wiring) You can use any power source, put an on-off switch in the circuit so you can turn the camera on/off at your own will.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2019, 08:33 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

When I installed my 994 I called Crutchfield, they said wire both cameras through the red and black wires in the harness, I did that and can put on either camera anytime and the backup camera comes on in reverse. ONLY downside of this is I have to have the radio on or the BU camera won't go on, sometimes I shut the radio off while driving.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tjaved22
How can I turn the rear camera on if I wanted through my kenwood unit without putting it in reverse? Maybe I didn’t wire up everything correctly?

As of now, it always turns on when the car is put in reverse, but wanted to have the option of seeing through the rear camera if I wanted without putting it in reverse.
I looked at a Kenwood Multi-Media receiver and was told hit the "CAM" button when I want the camera to go on. The installer didn't specify if I had the option of doing that with the rear cam.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:31 AM
tjaved22
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobLo
When I installed my 994 I called Crutchfield, they said wire both cameras through the red and black wires in the harness, I did that and can put on either camera anytime and the backup camera comes on in reverse. ONLY downside of this is I have to have the radio on or the BU camera won't go on, sometimes I shut the radio off while driving.

I'll try this, thanks!
Old 08-27-2019, 08:12 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by tjaved22
I'll try this, thanks!
Let us know how it works out...
Old 08-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Kenwood, Rear camera triggered by reverse. Front camera aux input. Can run both on demand as well. used this camera for both. Instructions tell how to cut wires to reverse image, remove gridlines.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P45P7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P45P7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear camera home run to radio reverse trigger, powered by amp remote turn on wire.
Front camera run under drivers knee bolster, out and around door long and under coolant tank, under radiator. power from fuse box.

Last edited by Spacewalker; 08-27-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:44 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RobLo
Let us know how it works out...

Quick Reply: Anyone rig up a custom backup/front camera?