C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback LEDs Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:14 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisharek
I thought so too. I got a very vague response to my Email inquiry that they have never had this issue before. No wiring diagram or any instruction was included either.

(shrugging shoulders)
Thanks for that info.
The following users liked this post:
chrisharek (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I purchased the switchback harness and bulbs from RadioFlyer about 10 months ago but still haven't installed them. I just opened the box yesterday. I should really get this done already.
chrisharek (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:43 PM
Dragon Tamer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just a recommendation for you - having done this myself...remove the entire fog light assembly to make the installation easy. It takes all of a couple of minutes to remove the 3 screws that hold the assembly onto the facia. With the removal, you can use your left/right hand to reach through the opening to assist in the installation of the resistor in the the preferred location. It makes it super simple, removing the PITA part of the resistor install. Plugging the harness into the existing is straightforward as is the bulb swap. Have some zip ties ready to secure it all up. It took me about 40 minutes per side for the install, including the switchback bulb install, jacking the front up, removing the wheel/tire, and the entire front inner wheel liner assembly. Doing so eliminates all the gotchas.
chrisharek (05-31-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tamer
You can't just install the switchback bulb. You need a harness for the "switch" from white to amber to white to work. You can get the harness from Radio Flyer Innovations - a forum sponsor. It's easy to install, completely plug and play. I've had the harnesses installed for at least 2 years - no issue at all.
Technically, you shouldn't need our harness for a switchback bulb to "switchback", There should be internal circuitry that causes the amber function to switch off the white function however it appears some older or cheaper bulbs do not have this (and sometimes this circuitry fails as we discovered with our short-lived Gen 4 switchback bulbs)

The typical function of a switchback bulb is to provide Amber on the high power circuit (DRL and Turn signal) and White for the parking lights.

Our White DRL harness allows the Daytime running lights to be white while automatically maintaining the Amber turn signal function.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:17 AM
FL1BY
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I purchased the corner lens LED option from RF. I have old (5 years or greater) original amber/white switchbacks in the corners. The LEDs completely skewed the blinkers - blubs; confused or no blinkers and DLRs. Thought it was possible the multifunction switch or bad grounds so I cleaned grounds and replaced switch. Didn't solve anything. I completely removed the corner LEDs, bench tested them to ensure they and drivers worked and were wired correctly and then labeled all the wires (high, low and ground). Did the same for the switchback bulbs. Everything functioned perfectly when isolated. Reinstalled the switchback bulbs and the blinkers; DLR's and hazards functioned as designed. Installed the original multi-function switch and everything still functioned correctly. Installed the LED corners and all hell broke loose again. Old switchback bulbs and new LEDs don't seem to play together at all. Now I either invest in new switchback bulbs or just don't use the LED strips, which is my current option.

I don't fault George for this because you can not possibly identify all the owner mods out there, but a heads up might have been nice once the issue was identified.
Currently awaiting on response from George at RadioFlyer on HID ballast and LED Bulbs used in the headlights { vendors used and model} so I can get replacement parts.

But the HID headlight assemblies do light up the highway great when they work!

Last edited by FL1BY; 06-16-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Satch0922
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
This is not true at all. I purchased these bulbs from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and just put them in place where the amber DRL bulb is and they work perfect. No additional harness or anything else is needed. You have a nice bright white DRL and it turns amber when you use one of the turn signals.

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:08 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Satch0922
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
I'm glad I purchased a few additional sets because these work very well.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:31 PM
chrisharek
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to put an end to this - YES, YOU DO NEED THE HARNESS! Swapped out the Radioflyer harness and bulbs from the ones sold by corvettemods this morning. Everything works like a charm now.

Never again with corvettemods.

Last edited by chrisharek; 06-22-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:43 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You do know that CM was discontinued as a vendor on here years ago, for cause as I understand it....just saying....
Old 05-23-2020, 04:26 PM
brilucas12
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got these from the same place, CMods. Read the instructions and it was a little vague unless you're familiar with your light's wiring (which I was not either...) Thought I could still do it and was OK until I get there and see 3 wires and only need to connect two to the resistor. After a lot of searching I found a useful answer. Just connect the two outer wires, leave the middle untouched. That's all there is to it.

This vid was great from Vettelights.com! https://www.vette-lights.com/collect...free-resistors

Hope this saves someone a few hours of searching, head scratching and trying to figure out how to work a multi-meter!

Quick Reply: Switchback LEDs Malfunction?