C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic ride on used C6 purchase - yes, no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by stingray71
I have it and really like it as an option. I would not buy a car that was originally had MRC but was "removed and tuned out" by a previous owner. I have not seen many failures with MRC to make it something to specifically avoid.
I like highly optioned cars and would not avoid advanced technology to save on "potential" maintenance. What if Heads-up display fails? What if other options fail? I would not purposely choose a 1LT over a 4LT to save money "just in case"
I ordered this F-55 option on my 2005 Corvette factory order back in 2004. Great option and it rides so smooth. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:21 AM
agorena123
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Funny thing is that the 07 I went to look at yesterday which had MRC listed as a feature and the reason for this thread DID NOT HAVE IT!

Beautiful car though, was perfect garage kept 34K miles 3LT with two tops, bone stock.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM
smd001
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

I think bottom line is MRC is great, until it isn't and then the value/benefit becomes a subjective decision.
JerriVette (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 03:01 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by smd001
I think bottom line is MRC is great, until it isn't and then the value/benefit becomes a subjective decision.
Not really.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, we don't need to discuss it because OP's car that he went to see does not have it.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:01 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Trebor
If it is a 2007 it has the LS2. The LS3 was added in 2008. I have a 3LT with the MRC option. I just bought it last August 2018. At 46,000 miles, so far so good on the shocks. I can't see any leaks. But honestly, when I switch from Tour to Sport, I cannot feel any difference. Someone mentioned that you only feel the difference if you are on a track or really pushing the car hard on the street. Good luck with your decision. These are fun cars to drive. I traded my 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3 M6 with 16,000 miles on it for this '06 A6 triple black convertible. It's my 4th Corvette. No seller's remorse for me.
The Vette is faster and more fun IMO. And it's my first convertible.
I went from my 2015 Camaro 2SS to my 2012 GS and the Camaro definitely doesn't touch it in the speed department and most importantly the fun department. Really liked my Camaro but Love my Vette.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Xvoyager
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Why not? Have it and love it, not noticeable until it matters! GM corvette engineers are amazing dudes, to produce a sport car under budget that matches the performance of world class cars, why would anyone k=not takie advantage of this engineering gem if it's available! Several other world class manufacturers recognized the performance benefit.

[...Most car buffs are aware MagneRide made its first appearance on a midyear refresh of the 202 Cadillac Seville STS. From there, the MR dampers migrated onto a few other Cadillacs; perhaps most notably, it's featured on all three body styles of the CTS-V. Audi, Ferrari, and the Camaro ZL1 have recognized the benefit too.]

re:https://www.motortrend.com/news/for-...ontrol-318181/

Last edited by Xvoyager; 05-01-2019 at 07:56 PM.
h8snow (05-01-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:37 AM
agorena123
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Well, we don't need to discuss it because OP's car that he went to see does not have it.
As luck would have it, going to see another this weekend, 05 that does have it - saw the selector switch in the pictures. Owner seems to be a Corvette guy and he really highlighted the MRC in the listing.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:19 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,008 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have mag ride on my 13 427 vert & love the option, Myself, I would not "bubba" this system up by putting some other shocks on it & "tune" out a world class option
h8snow (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 AM
smd001
Pro

Originally Posted by h8snow
Not really.
Yes really. MRC is nice when it works. When it is worn out the cost to replace is ridiculous. It will eventually wear out as the shocks leak from the get go. When that happens you end up with a very crappy ride that bounces you uncontrollable and bottoms out over bridge expansion joints etc. Typically as with most things corvette as well as most things, those that have it will espouse it as the best thing since sliced bread, those that don't will not care and those of us that have seen it fail will weigh the options/benefit and place a value on replacement. Same thing with Amazon reviews. People justify their purchases with high marks and others slam based on failures. There is little in between. My opinion is, it is not worth the cost of replacement. I did not buy a corvette for its ride quality and after doing enough reading and seeing what was available mine went into the shop last night to get Bilstein's and urethane bushings in the control arms this week. That is not "bubbafying" my car, that is being prudent.

If I was looking for another I would not seek it out and I would not avoid a car with it. I damn sure would not pay the cost to replace it though.

Last edited by smd001; 05-02-2019 at 09:47 AM.
JerriVette (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My 2011 GS is 4LT with every option.

I fail to see the value of the MRC. I can't tell the difference.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:12 PM
C4Lou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had a couple of cars with MRC (Camaro and Corvette) and the way I drive (sometimes spirited but mostly "normal"), I never really noticed much of a difference. Consequently when I bought my current Corvette (11 GS Vert), that I plan to keep for a long time, I specifically looked for a non-MRC car to avoid expensive repairs with the system. The stock GS suspension works just fine for me.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:59 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by smd001
Yes really. MRC is nice when it works. When it is worn out the cost to replace is ridiculous. It will eventually wear out as the shocks leak from the get go. When that happens you end up with a very crappy ride that bounces you uncontrollable and bottoms out over bridge expansion joints etc. Typically as with most things corvette as well as most things, those that have it will espouse it as the best thing since sliced bread, those that don't will not care and those of us that have seen it fail will weigh the options/benefit and place a value on replacement. Same thing with Amazon reviews. People justify their purchases with high marks and others slam based on failures. There is little in between. My opinion is, it is not worth the cost of replacement. I did not buy a corvette for its ride quality and after doing enough reading and seeing what was available mine went into the shop last night to get Bilstein's and urethane bushings in the control arms this week. That is not "bubbafying" my car, that is being prudent.

If I was looking for another I would not seek it out and I would not avoid a car with it. I damn sure would not pay the cost to replace it though.
That's why there is a conversion kit if you can't afford to go back to the magnetic ride shocks then you can convert back to the standard shocks.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM
smd001
Pro

Originally Posted by LS WON
That's why there is a conversion kit if you can't afford to go back to the magnetic ride shocks then you can convert back to the standard shocks.
I guess this is the, "You must be to poor to afford a corvette" argument. It is about perceived value and yes it is ridiculously over priced and IMO not worth it to replace. None of my cars/corvettes came with a 3" thick payment book or loan.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:13 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Non issue to me, my 08 has it but honestly not that big of deal either way to me

Would not be a deal breaker either way, 2 things that were a must for me were dual mode exhaust and HUD. 3LT package as well
Old 05-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't think you necessarily notice MRC when it is working. Cost is a factor so I get that but so is safety. I have had six Corvettes some with MRC and some with out. Current C6 is a 2013 Anniversary 427 505HP and I am very glad to have MRC. If you track your car or push it to hard you will be glad you have MRC if not you probably don't need it. Corvette has a great stability control system that works well even without MRC. MRC is just another level of protection to help keep you on the road. It will not over ride stupid but most Corvette owners will benefit from it. Several good utube vids on how the Corvette performs with MRC and with out it worth checking out. It is standard on Grand Sport and supercharged Vettes for good reason.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:09 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
I don't think you necessarily notice MRC when it is working. Cost is a factor so I get that but so is safety. I have had six Corvettes some with MRC and some with out. Current C6 is a 2013 Anniversary 427 505HP and I am very glad to have MRC. If you track your car or push it to hard you will be glad you have MRC if not you probably don't need it. Corvette has a great stability control system that works well even without MRC. MRC is just another level of protection to help keep you on the road. It will not over ride stupid but most Corvette owners will benefit from it. Several good utube vids on how the Corvette performs with MRC and with out it worth checking out. It is standard on Grand Sport and supercharged Vettes for good reason.
It keeps those 4 wheels planted to the ground which is a very good thing...

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic ride on used C6 purchase - yes, no?

Old 05-03-2019, 11:11 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I would look at replacement costs either with new mrc shocks or the cost of turning it off in the pcm and installing traditional shocks just so you are prepared for the expense should replacement be necessary.

should ge easily tuned out of the pcm and then you can use the low cost bilstein sport shocks which cost me 400 for a set of four from tire rack a few years back (five years i think)

the c6 mrc shock replacement can be eyewatering if I remember correctly.
the mrc system of the c6 was very capable at keeping the tires in ckntact with the road ....

if imwere to purchase a c6 with mrc and eventually they needed replacement...i believe id try to turn off the option in the pcm and use bilstein sports..

i believe i believe the c7 mrc shocks are not compatable with the c6 and the c7 s were quite a bit cheaper...
Old 05-04-2019, 01:16 AM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 195 Posts

The Delco MRC shocks @$900.00 more than the old school Bilstein shocks for a set of four. I don't think its that much to keep MRC suspension that the car was designed with and just flat works. Too me seems strange even think about defeating the MRC controlled
suspension. Bilstein,Koni,Ohlin,KYB whatever not replacing the Delcos

Last edited by h8snow; 05-04-2019 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-04-2019, 02:19 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I would search out a car with it, unless one without it was so low priced I couldn't walk away. Just my opinion.
"05-'07 is OK, but '08 is better, and '09-'13 is the best in a C6.

It was a ~$1600 option for a reason, because it's just that good.

Quick Reply: Magnetic ride on used C6 purchase - yes, no?