C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c7 Competition Seat Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:10 PM
chuzo
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default c7 Competition Seat Retrofit

Hello everyone, I wanted to share my experience installing the c7 gen. seat into our c6. I want to thank user "Smokeyjr" for sharing his experience with me, and also all other users that shared their conversion and feedback on the forum.

I bought a pair of used c7 gt seats and converted to the competition version, the conversion process is well documented on the forum.

c7 seats fit perfectly into the existing seat bolts of the c6 body, so no worries on that. The tricky part comes in the electronics.

Since I live in a tropical country, I didn't find the need to wire up the seat heaters, and also wanted to retain the factory c7 seat airbags. I did a wiring adapter just to give 12 volts, switch power, and ground to the motors of the seat in the following way:

Driver seat c7 plug → Driver c6 body harness
Pin 1 - ground (black) → A5 c375 plug
Pin 4 - ground (black) → A5 c375 plug
Pin 7 - Ignition (violet/white) → A1 c375 plug
Pin 8 - Battery positive (red/white) → B3 c375 plug
Pin 28 - Battery positive (red/white) → B3 c375 plug
Pin 11 - airbag module high signal (orange/light blue) → pin C c377 plug
Pin 24 - airbag module low signal (light green/orange) → pin D c377 plug

1. For the telescopic function of the steering to work. I bought an emulator from vetteworks and wired it into my adapter. This will make the function work properly and also clear the driver seat position sensor error that will happen not having the c6 seat.
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=233
2. I used the original c6 seat belt anchor pretensioner and bolt it into the c7 frame. I removed the nut from the pretensioner and bolt it in the frame of the c7. (I don't remember the bolt size, but it was a SAE measure and not metric)

Passenger seat c7 plug → Passenger c6 body harness
Pin 3 - Battery positive (red/light blue) → A4 c375 plug
Pin 7 - Ignition (violet/black) → A1 c375 plug
Pin 8 - battery positve (red/brown) → A4 c375 plug
Pin 17 - ground (black/white) → A5 c375 plug
Pin 20 - Ignition (violet/white) → A1 c375 plug
Pin 21 - battery positve (red/white) → A4 c375 plug
Pin 31 - battery positve (red/light green) → A4 c375 plug
Pin 11 - airbag module high signal (orange/gray) → pin C c377 plug
Pin 24 - airbag module low signal (brown/orange) → pin D c377 plug

1. For this seat I also used the passenger seat position emulator by vettworks: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=171
2. For the seat belt pretensioner was the same process as the driver side. (remove nut and install the pretensioner with a bolt on the c7 frame)
3. I used the passenger seat ocupancy sensor from the c6 seat and installed it into the bottom part of the seat. I drilled some holes on the back part for the green clips to fit. (picture attached).

Other notes:
For the competition version of the seat I didn't had to cut/trim plastic covers or remove the c7 airbags.
I used a gm tech 2 to verify the airbag module and the aribags where communicating as well as the passenger ocupancy sensor.
The driver memory function does not work, but for me it's not really that important.

Overall is the best interior upgrade I have done to the car. The seats hold you very good in track days.

Hopefully my little writeup can help motivate other members that want to retrofit the c7 seats into their c6.

Pictures:

c7 driver seat installed

c7 passenger seat installed

c6 occupancy sensor installed on c7 bottom frame (drilled holes)

still some space between seat and side bottom panel.

seat moved all the way back and still have some space between the back side panel.
The following 6 users liked this post by chuzo:
doddka (05-21-2020), ETPhoneHome (08-11-2022), mikeCsix (04-04-2019), sonik_fury (04-02-2019), spdkilz911 (04-05-2023), wideglideleon (08-13-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:11 PM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

Great post! Enjoy those beautiful seats.
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (08-13-2022)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow nicely done. I was in my Vette today and thought to my self that these stock C6 seats suck. Although C 2013 are improved.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:49 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Awesome work, thanks for the writeup. My comp seats are sitting in the garage waiting to go in.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:02 AM
Mikelofty
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Why isn’t somebody making a harness kit for this? Seems like an easy upgrade if the harness was available..... hello? Radio Flyer??
Old 04-04-2019, 06:54 AM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Originally Posted by Mikelofty
Why isn’t somebody making a harness kit for this? Seems like an easy upgrade if the harness was available..... hello? Radio Flyer??
Dan at vetteworks was working on it but I haven't heard back from him in a while about it.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:41 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice job!
Old 04-04-2019, 04:09 PM
chuzo
Heel & Toe

Thanks everyone.

I was lucky to find a used body harness from a wrecked c7, so I used the original c7 plugs and wired them into my c6 body harness.

It will also work if the wires from the connector that I listed of the c7 seat plug are tapped into other wiring that can have a c6 seat plug in the other end.

Image example:

c6 seat plug
Old 04-04-2019, 06:44 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,216 Likes on 793 Posts

Good job thank you for sharing
Old 04-04-2019, 08:39 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,301 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

They really look good!
Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 AM
Guyzer7
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Does anyone know if the seat cushion height is taller than the C6 seats?
I'm considering doing this for my LT1
Old 07-25-2019, 09:34 PM
chuzo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Guyzer7
Does anyone know if the seat cushion height is taller than the C6 seats?
I'm considering doing this for my LT1

It's a bit taller than the c6 seat, check this post:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591727642
Old 11-09-2020, 08:00 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vetteworks just received 200 connectors for C7 2014 through 2017 seats. All pending orders are shipping throughout this week.
Dan Hagerty
Vetteworks
253-223-4968

Last edited by vettedan; 11-09-2020 at 08:00 PM.
chuzo (11-10-2020)
Old 08-06-2021, 01:01 PM
M.Perez
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture of wiring

I am currently trying to install c7 seats in my c6, are there any pictures to help guide the wiring ? I am not sure what to wire together for them to work , any help would be great , diagram pics or anything. Thank

Originally Posted by chuzo
Hello everyone, I wanted to share my experience installing the c7 gen. seat into our c6. I want to thank user "Smokeyjr" for sharing his experience with me, and also all other users that shared their conversion and feedback on the forum.

I bought a pair of used c7 gt seats and converted to the competition version, the conversion process is well documented on the forum.

c7 seats fit perfectly into the existing seat bolts of the c6 body, so no worries on that. The tricky part comes in the electronics.

Since I live in a tropical country, I didn't find the need to wire up the seat heaters, and also wanted to retain the factory c7 seat airbags. I did a wiring adapter just to give 12 volts, switch power, and ground to the motors of the seat in the following way:

1. For the telescopic function of the steering to work. I bought an emulator from vetteworks and wired it into my adapter. This will make the function work properly and also clear the driver seat position sensor error that will happen not having the c6 seat.
2. I used the original c6 seat belt anchor pretensioner and bolt it into the c7 frame. I removed the nut from the pretensioner and bolt it in the frame of the c7. (I don't remember the bolt size, but it was a SAE measure and not metric)

1. For this seat I also used the passenger seat position emulator by vettworks: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=171
2. For the seat belt pretensioner was the same process as the driver side. (remove nut and install the pretensioner with a bolt on the c7 frame)
3. I used the passenger seat ocupancy sensor from the c6 seat and installed it into the bottom part of the seat. I drilled some holes on the back part for the green clips to fit. (picture attached).

Other notes:
For the competition version of the seat I didn't had to cut/trim plastic covers or remove the c7 airbags.
I used a gm tech 2 to verify the airbag module and the aribags where communicating as well as the passenger ocupancy sensor.
The driver memory function does not work, but for me it's not really that important.

Overall is the best interior upgrade I have done to the car. The seats hold you very good in track days.

Hopefully my little writeup can help motivate other members that want to retrofit the c7 seats into their c6.

Pictures:

c7 driver seat installed

I am currently trying to install c7 seats

seat moved all the way back and still have some space between the back side panel.

Last edited by M.Perez; 08-06-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:38 AM
chuzo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by M.Perez
I am currently trying to install c7 seats in my c6, are there any pictures to help guide the wiring ? I am not sure what to wire together for them to work , any help would be great , diagram pics or anything. Thank

Hi I just used what information I could find in the forum. The connecters won't be plug and play but you could buy a set of body connectors from a salvaged c7.
You can also follow my pinout from the c7 seat to the c6 body harness.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:10 PM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I removed mine didnt like how they fit in the car and you sit higher than the factory seats probably two inches or more

. I now have 2013 seats instead much better
Old 08-11-2022, 07:52 PM
BBC6
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dan now has the harness along with the wiring to make the air work
The following 2 users liked this post by BBC6:
Jason71 (08-11-2022), wideglideleon (08-13-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To c7 Competition Seat Retrofit

Old 08-11-2022, 07:55 PM
BBC6
7th Gear

This is great I am in the middle of my swap now and am trying to see what others did with the pretensioner. does the nut come out of the C6 in order to fit the C7 bolt? i looked at it for about 10 minutes before i needed the car again and had to put them back together and in.

Other notes:

Pictures:

c7 driver seat installed

Old 08-12-2022, 04:47 PM
chuzo
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BBC6
This is great I am in the middle of my swap now and am trying to see what others did with the pretensioner. does the nut come out of the C6 in order to fit the C7 bolt? i looked at it for about 10 minutes before i needed the car again and had to put them back together and in.
It does come out and I had to buy new bolts to fit the C6 pretensioners, but I don't remember the size/thread.
I also remember I had to drill the hole a bit bigger.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:59 PM
BBC6
7th Gear

It does come out and I had to buy new bolts to fit the C6 pretensioners, but I don't remember the size/thread.
I also remember I had to drill the hole a bit bigger.
thanks this helps a ton... i picked up the new bolts just took the C7 bolt down to the local bolt and nut store and they gave them to me as "samples". forgot to ask the size though... i will post pics when I'm done
wideglideleon (08-13-2022)

Quick Reply: c7 Competition Seat Retrofit