C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Grand Sport Door is open bell

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:50 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,768 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by GEMark
I read the PAC link you provided and in the description of features it states Chime Volume Adj. (Factory Buttons) was the chime adjustable with "Factory Buttons"??
The factory chime was integrated in the factory stereo, once you pull the factory radio and replace it with an aftermarket radio, you loose the factory chime. The interface will bring the chimes back as part of the interface, but the only way to adjust the volume of them, is on the interface chime module I mentioned earlier which is what the arrow is pointing to in this picture..

Old 03-09-2019, 11:55 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Door not completely shut when you're in the car and doing something that requires the door to be shut, but it's not?
Ok...I guessing he is driving with the door not completely closed? I do that at times in my 08 but I only get a message in the DIC "Left Door Ajar".Maybe there was a change in the newer C6s.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 AM
GEMark
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose it is up to the installer to choose the location on the chime module but given the harness itself is not all that long it would be likely (And my luck) for it to be behind the Pioneer receiver.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:22 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I suppose it is up to the installer to choose the location on the chime module but given the harness itself is not all that long it would be likely (And my luck) for it to be behind the Pioneer receiver.
Yep, it's been a while since I installed mine but if I remember correctly the wiring for the chime module itself was fairly long to where I believe it could be run to an accessible location, but like I say it's been a while since I did it. If I remember correctly I installed mine above the AC vents in the dash so I know, if for some reason I want to access it I have to pull the dash to get to it. You'll just have to listen to it closely when it's dinging and see if you can't track it's location down, you might get lucky and have it in an accessible location.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-10-2019 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:49 PM
GEMark
Advanced

Default Door Chime

Here is what I found. I can turn the adjusting screw about 270 degrees and it makes no difference in the volume of the chime. Do I need to disconnect the battery to reset it? or is this just a bad unit? I hate to think I went through all this to have no change in the volume.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:11 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

According to my source (Crutchfield.com) that is not the correct interface for your car, Crutchfield even states it's not meant for your car (as shown with the arrow in the following screen shot from their web site), I don't know who did your install but they used the wrong one, which could explain why the adjustment you're trying to do isn't working, the correct interfaces for your car are one of the three I mentioned earlier. If I were you I'd pull that one out and replace it with one of the correct ones I mentioned earlier so you have the full functionality of your car and stereo. Like I said before the most popular one tends to be the PAC interface or even the Crux CS-GMC2 either of which would give you the most functionality.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-10-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM
GEMark
Advanced

After having read the install instructions for the unit I have and followed the procedure for the chime adjustment it worked and is now very quiet. Everything else works properly and the only issue I had was the noise level of the chime. I will do a little more research on what exactly this particular unit was originally designed for. Thanks for all your help! So many questions have been answered with your help and I am greatly appreciative to all members assistance! So now I know the Where, the Why, and the How! Still a couple questions to be answered that I will research. Knowledge is Power, Experience is Priceless!
Old 03-10-2019, 02:24 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Can you find where the sound is coming from? On some of the interface's it's just a small hole that the sound comes from. If you can't lower the volume, place some tape over the opening to mute it slightly or tape around the entire module if you have to.

Edit: I type too slow, I see you figured it out.

Also, not sure why Crutchfield claims that it is not compatible with your car. I never used it, but I do believe that the GMOS-04 is one of the acceptable wiring interfaces for a C6.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-10-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:50 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

According to Metra's website, the GMOS-04 is compatible with the C6 Corvette, but I do remember issues coming up in regards to white noise coming through the speakers at low volume levels for some. Glad yours is working good now, enjoy.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-10-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:50 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Also, not sure why Crutchfield claims that it is not compatible with your car. I never used it, but I do believe that the GMOS-04 is one of the acceptable wiring interfaces for a C6.
Yep, I don't know either, Metra's web site says it is compatible with his Vette, Crutchfield must have their reasons as they're really good about knowing their stuff. But hey, GEMark accomplished what he wanted and his stereo works properly and that's what counts. I'm just glad we were able to help him out. I hope he enjoy's his quieter chime.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:09 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Fred, I don't know if you've seen this yet but it looks to me like PAC came out with a new interface for our cars that adds some additional functions, I started a thread about it if you'd like to follow along, so for not a lot of replies yet though. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...interface.html
Old 03-10-2019, 03:52 PM
PlanoTech
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice
Old 03-10-2019, 05:21 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madsonp
Hey Fred, I don't know if you've seen this yet but it looks to me like PAC came out with a new interface for our cars that adds some additional functions, I started a thread about it if you'd like to follow along, so for not a lot of replies yet though. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...interface.html
Yeah, I noticed your thread. I'll comment in your thread as to not hi-jack this one.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
GEMark
Advanced

The chime was coming through the stereo speakers and it was absolutely DEAFENING!! Maybe the installer did not like Vette owners and decided to leave it on the highest setting to **** him off? In addition the installer broke the traction control button which I will have to get a new one of those. There is some type of return spring inside the button which is missing in addition to one of the retainers being broken which holds the switch together. In any event Very Happy with the Just barely audible door chime now. I wish I would have had a sound meter to measure the before and after volume. Come to think of it I guess I could have used my phone in video mode. Duh...... Regardless, Mark is Very Happy! Installed my Flag pole today as well with the Stars and Stripes Flying high! I am now going for a Sunday drive for Pizza and Ice Cream! God Bless America and Chevrolet!!
Old 03-10-2019, 05:46 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

The chime was coming through the stereo speakers and it was absolutely DEAFENING!
I didn't know that about the GMOS-04. I figured it was coming from the harness module itself like some of the other ones mentioned. One thing about the gmos-04 that I had read which I hope is not true, is that someone who used it claimed that every time they had to disconnect the battery, that the harness would reset the warning chime volume level. Hopefully that is not the case, as getting to the interface is not easy.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:45 PM
GEMark
Advanced

And now for the Bad news. By turning the "Chime" volume down it impacts the stereo volume as well as the Navigation voice. I can max out the volume on the stereo and it is only about half to a third as loud as it was before. In addition the Navigation voice is barely audible to the sound of the radio. Pretty much equal too or just slightly greater than. So I am going to have to pull it all back apart and find a happy medium. And while I am there, I will take a little extra time to find a location to secure the unit in a spot that I can hopefully access the chime adjustment **** through the glove box area, Even if I have to drill a small hole to make the plan come together. Hopefully my experience with this can make it easier for someone else down the road. Live and Learn.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:53 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

And now for the Bad news. By turning the "Chime" volume down it impacts the stereo volume as well as the Navigation voice. I can max out the volume on the stereo and it is only about half to a third as loud as it was before. In addition the Navigation voice is barely audible to the sound of the radio. Pretty much equal too or just slightly greater than. So I am going to have to pull it all back apart and find a happy medium. And while I am there, I will take a little extra time to find a location to secure the unit in a spot that I can hopefully access the chime adjustment **** through the glove box area, Even if I have to drill a small hole to make the plan come together. Hopefully my experience with this can make it easier for someone else down the road. Live and Learn.
Now I think I'm beginning to see maybe why Crutchfield doesn't recommend the GMOS-04 for the Corvette, personally, if it were me. and I was going to pull it apart again, I think I'd pull out the GMOS-04 and go with the PAC interface just for that reason, I know from experience you wouldn't have these issues with the PAC interface, I know I don't.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Grand Sport Door is open bell

Old 03-10-2019, 08:45 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Damn what a pain in the butt. Sorry to hear of all the troubles you are dealing with. Just when you think you got it fixed, with ole Glory flying and pizza and ice cream, you can't hear what you want to hear.

Sounds like madsonp is right, it may be time to replace the harness itself. Especially since you will probably have to get up in there again to get the NAV and sound up.

I am going to have to think about painting the barrels on mine as well. Be a lot easier cleaning as I try to clean the inside of the wheels when I wash the car. I have to paint the crown on the rotors anyway, and eventually the calipers as soon as we get a consistent nice weekend of weather.

On the bright side, you got a great car in THE BEST Color!

Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

And now for the Bad news. By turning the "Chime" volume down it impacts the stereo volume as well as the Navigation voice.
I think it is suppose to have separate adjustments for chimes and overall volume. Directions seem a little complicated. My guess is you probably inadvertently turned down the overall volume while trouble shooting the chimes. My advice, dump the GMOS-04. It is very problematic. Go with a Pac Audio RP4-GM11 or Pac Audio RP5-GM11.

Adjusting the GMOS-04

Audio level adjustment:
  1. With the vehicle and radio turned on, turn the volume up 3/4 of the way.
  2. With a small flat-blade screwdriver, adjust the potentiometer clockwise to raise the audio level; counterclockwise to lower the audio level.
  3. Once at a desired level, audio level adjustment is complete.

Chime level adjustment (for models without a digital amplifier *):
  1. With the vehicle on, turn it off and leave the keys in ignition. Open the driver’s door;

chimes will be heard.
  2. Wait 10 seconds, and then with a small screwdriver, turn the potentiometer clockwise to raise the chime level; counterclockwise to lower the chime level.
  3. When the chime is at a desired level, remove the keys from the ignition. This will lock the chime volume at its current level.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-10-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I know that this discussion has turned more towards aftermarket stereo's and harness, but I can confirm without a doubt, that swapping in a base 08 stereo in place of my base 07 stereo absolutely resulted in much loader chiming, no matter whether I set the chime volume on it's lowest setting or not.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Sport Door is open bell