C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS not resetting...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts
Default TPMS not resetting...

Hello,

Trying to reset my TPMS. Car is in accessory mode, but will not beep when I use the radio frequency tool. I tried letting air out of the tire, too.

What am I doing wrong?

Car is 2010. Is it possible they put the wrong TPMS sensors in??

Old 02-09-2019, 12:02 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Did you push the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously on the fob to put it in learn mode?
Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCorvette93
Hello,

Trying to reset my TPMS. Car is in accessory mode, but will not beep when I use the radio frequency tool. I tried letting air out of the tire, too.

What am I doing wrong?

Car is 2010. Is it possible they put the wrong TPMS sensors in??

This might be a silly question but are you holding down both the lock and unlock buttons on your fob after putting it in accessory position. You should then get a horn beep to acknowledge that you are in the TPMS learn mode.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:10 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Yes I did the lock and unlock horn beep business.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:34 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes I did the lock and unlock horn beep business.
The you could possibly have sensors that aren't suitable. I've read claims that some of the cloned sensors can be problematic and that it's best to use OEM sensors I replaced my 10 year old ones in spring of 2017 and using the OEM Schrader sensors everything worked perfectly with the TPMS learn procedure.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:44 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by Icecap
The you could possibly have sensors that aren't suitable. I've read claims that some of the cloned sensors can be problematic and that it's best to use OEM sensors I replaced my 10 year old ones in spring of 2017 and using the OEM Schrader sensors everything worked perfectly with the TPMS learn procedure.
Crazy... A forum vendor shipped them to me as a package with TPMS installed. Recourse?
Old 02-09-2019, 01:33 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Crazy... A forum vendor shipped them to me as a package with TPMS installed. Recourse?
If you PM me I can point you to a non-CF vendor who sells C6-compatible TPM sensors for about $110 for a set of four in chrome (add $20 for black), plus very modest shipping.

Be sure that the battery in your tool is fresh, and that you are actually positioning the tool correctly against the tire (not the wheel). If the tool is OK, then replacing the TPM sensors with the ones I suggest may be your simplest and cheapest solution. Any tire shop capable of mounting Corvette tires can replace them in very short order.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:45 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
If you PM me I can point you to a non-CF vendor who sells C6-compatible TPM sensors for about $110 for a set of four in chrome (add $20 for black), plus very modest shipping.

Be sure that the battery in your tool is fresh, and that you are actually positioning the tool correctly against the tire (not the wheel). If the tool is OK, then replacing the TPM sensors with the ones I suggest may be your simplest and cheapest solution. Any tire shop capable of mounting Corvette tires can replace them in very short order.
I appreciate it and might take you up on it...

But the whole idea of this package was to be convenient... Wheels, tires, and TPMS all in one. Should work.... Reputable vendor... Idk what's going on here.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:33 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Video of me trying to reset TPMS...

Missing any steps?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:06 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,874 Likes on 4,275 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I bought my wheels/tires/TPMS mounted & balanced as a set for convenience as well. Unfortunately had the same problem you’re having (plus tires not balanced properly ). That turned into 4 months of inconvenience trying to get the tires balanced correctly, 2 new wheels shipped to me & both front tires replaced. The TPMS that came in the package gave me nothing but issues so I replaced them with OEM & had the vendor refund me the cost of OEM TPMS.

No problems since & you can get the OEM sensors on amazon for $32 ea.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:18 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

This is such a mission...

Vendor is Florida Speed Shop for what it's worth.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:02 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This is such a mission...

Vendor is Florida Speed Shop for what it's worth.
Contact them, i’m sure they (Keith) will try and help. Unfortunately things like this sometimes happen. Most of the wheel vendors seem to have a good reputation around here. Probably a bad TPMS that will need to be replaced.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:32 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Default Update

I went to Discount Tire, and their tool picksed up the sensors. However, it is identifying them as 2005-2009 sensors, and advises that the sensors are "improper" (or something to that effect).

$300 later, the wheels and tires came off, and the proper sensors were put on. I think FSS (vendor) should.refund me for their tire sensors, and also pay for the new ones.

Also, discount tire used this kind of lift... Never seen this before! Ok to use?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,108 Likes on 708 Posts

Did you contact FSS and give them a shot at correcting their error before you spent $300.00 at Discount Tire?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:48 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Sent you a PM, and if they put pucks under there when using that quick jack you should be ok, if they didn't I'd check for damage.

Also FSS will ask for the TPMS back, so hopefully DT didn't snap them off like they did mine. They gave me a bag of broken TPMS back & I told FSS they could take it up with DT.

Last edited by JABCAT; 02-09-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

I called today and no answer....perhaps closed? Hours aren't listed.

Even if they sent me the correct sensors, the tires would have to come off, and I do not live near them; it would have to be done at another facility, regardless. $300 is roughly the cost of the sensors and labor at a any major chain (I quoted at two).

Time and frustration as well... This was supposed to be a convenience deal - wheels, tires, and TPMS ready to rock and roll for my DIY install. Now I've sunk 8 hours into figuring this out, spent money on tools to do the job myself, and now an additional $300 to have it done by a tire shop (which was what I wanted to avoid in the first place).

So, no, simply "making good on the error" by sending me the correct sensors is not enough - not even close.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:52 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Like JABCAT said, as long as they used pucks that lift is fine.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS not resetting...

Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by spdkilz911
Like JABCAT said, as long as they used pucks that lift is fine.
No pucks... There was a rubber pad on each side of the lift that ran the length of the side skirts. But it lifted the car from the skirts, yes.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

I called today and no answer....perhaps closed? Hours aren't listed.

Even if they sent me the correct sensors, the tires would have to come off, and I do not live near them; it would have to be done at another facility, regardless. $300 is roughly the cost of the sensors and labor at a any major chain (I quoted at two).

Time and frustration as well... This was supposed to be a convenience deal - wheels, tires, and TPMS ready to rock and roll for my DIY install. Now I've sunk 8 hours into figuring this out, spent money on tools to do the job myself, and now an additional $300 to have it done by a tire shop (which was what I wanted to avoid in the first place).

So, no, simply "making good on the error" by sending me the correct sensors is not enough - not even close.
$300 is a bit much, new OEM sensors would have been $120 & install should have run you about $60-80. Each DT location does seem to make up their own pricing though. I have 4 within 20 mi radius & they all gave me different quotes for install of the TPMS from $60 - $250. I asked the guy at the $60 location why the discrepancy & told me it shouldn't be as they are just supposed to type it into the computer & the price pops up, but that they have ways to manipulate what they type in to get different prices. Pretty shady if you ask me.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:09 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Originally Posted by JABCAT
$300 is a bit much, new OEM sensors would have been $120 & install should have run you about $60-80. Each DT location does seem to make up their own pricing though. I have 4 within 20 mi radius & they all gave me different quotes for install of the TPMS from $60 - $250. I asked the guy at the $60 location why the discrepancy & told me it shouldn't be as they are just supposed to type it into the computer & the price pops up, but that they have ways to manipulate what they type in to get different prices. Pretty shady if you ask me.
They were $60 each + $40 labor + tax. Yes the labor is annoying but it didn't seem crazy to me. Thanks for the input!!

Quick Reply: TPMS not resetting...