C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bought 2008 z06 what is best for head issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 10:24 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bought 2008 z06 what is best for head issue

Should i just get the original heads with new valve guides and valves or should i spend more and like a afr set of heads instead. Since its gonna be coming apart whats the best way to spend the money. Thanks guys.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:36 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Literally thousands of posts on this in the Z06 forum. All the information you could possibly ask for is sitting right there, waiting for you to read it. You won't find much here in the general forum. My advice is to ship them to AHP (American Heritage Performance). Well respected vendor that has done hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of LS7 heads. They will inspect/polish the intake valves, replace the exhaust valves, replace the guides with powdered metal or Moldstar 90 (your choice), replace the seals and locks, resurface, and send you back your heads shiny, repaired and ready to re-install. If you don't want to wait, then you can simply buy them already fixed and send back your core for a core refund, net price is the same.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mordeth:
2k Cobra (02-05-2019), h8snow (02-04-2019), Landru (02-05-2019), mkitt27 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:08 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Literally thousands of posts on this in the Z06 forum. All the information you could possibly ask for is sitting right there, waiting for you to read it. You won't find much here in the general forum. My advice is to ship them to AHP (American Heritage Performance). Well respected vendor that has done hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of LS7 heads. They will inspect/polish the intake valves, replace the exhaust valves, replace the guides with powdered metal or Moldstar 90 (your choice), replace the seals and locks, resurface, and send you back your heads shiny, repaired and ready to re-install. If you don't want to wait, then you can simply buy them already fixed and send back your core for a core refund, net price is the same.
Exactly what he said! I also went with AHP. If you plan on just wanting a simple head fix this would be the way to go. however, some upgrades like milling, porting will cause you to have to have car tuned. Simple head fix doesn't require a tune. I you plan on getting a tune, then this would be a great time to consider headers and intake, while you have it apart. I opted for package 4, milled heads .020 and street porting, milling .020 was a free of charge, street porting cost $. Since porting would need a tune, I added B&B headers. So what are your future plans and go from there? If you are not interested in extra HP or exhaust sound, just get the package 4 and be done with it.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:13 PM
99Hawk262
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree with both of the above posts. Call Kohle or Jake at AHP and talk to them about your goals. They're fantastic to deal with. If you've got basic tools, the swap is very easy and straightforward, and they sell an install kit that has everything you need. DIY saves a lot of money, and allows you to spend some quality time with your ride!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I did this, used the core exchange to speed the process and I had a shop do the work. I did basic pkg 4 but with new springs.

Get notified of new replies

To bought 2008 z06 what is best for head issue

Quick Reply: bought 2008 z06 what is best for head issue