C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key won't work for fob programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 03:33 AM
Juicebox018
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't work for fob programming

hey guys so I just got a c6 2006 and it only had 1 key fob with the key ring holder broken off so I went to GM n got a new key made and I ordered a key fob and now I'm trying to program my new key fob but when I twist the key 5 times nothing happens any ideas

Last edited by Juicebox018; 12-21-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:07 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

As a new owner you should have access to the owners manual, link below. You will find there instructions for key fob operation/programming. Welcome aboard!

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2012/chevrolet/corvette/2012_chevrolet_corvette_o

PS avoid the dealer for anything, if they have a certified Corvette Mechanic, he should be thought of as a resource unless he proves otherwise.

Last edited by S.C. vette; 12-21-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:18 PM
ruenvs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Try some WD-40 in the cylinder and insert key and turn several times. Should clean contacts so programming can start.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:21 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicebox018
hey guys so I just got a c6 2006 and it only had 1 key fob with the key ring holder broken off so I went to GM n got a new key made and I ordered a key fob and now I'm trying to program my new key fob but when I twist the key 5 times nothing happens any ideas
The owner's manual for your 2006 vette is here, if you don't have one: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...tte_owners.pdf

Keep in mind that there are 2 procedures for fob programming: Long and Short. The short procedure allows you to add additional key fobs. At most, 4 key fobs can be programmed to work with any single vehicle. In the typical case, and since the car ships with 2 fobs, you could add 2 more with the short procedure, so that they become #3 and #4.

The Long procedure is used to 'start from scratch', and program up to 4 fobs. Note that the order in which you program them dictates the order in which the car recognizes them, regardless of the number stamped on the fob case.

The likely case for you is that there were 2 fobs, and one has been lost, so that if you can get the programming to work, your new fob will end up as #3 if you use the short procedure. Keep in mind that if your vette has the memory feature, you can only program settings against the fobs which are programmed as #1 or #2.

A couple of points about getting into fob programming mode. The car must be off (and not in accessory mode). Second, opening the hatch does not count as 1 of the 5 turns.

You should also read this: https://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6FobProgramming.pdf It's within the forum 'sticky' section.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:36 PM
bobeyoung
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 96 Posts

This is the procedure I used when I did mine. Worked the first time.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure
….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side and keyring facing outwards.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).
Old 12-22-2018, 03:04 PM
Fly N Low
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicebox018
If this car is a coupe my first question would be does the hatch pop open when you turn the key the first time because you could have a broken cable going from the lock cylinder to the latch. Also the switch that tells the BCM to start the program is not in the lock cylinder its in the latch inside the car which would not be operating if the cable is broken. I had a broken cable on mine when I got it and had the same problem of not being able to get into program mode. All this info is based on a coupe the convertible has a different system.
If you fill out your Profile we can tell what kind of car you have an your area of the country which helps others help you. Welcome to the forum!

Get notified of new replies

To Key won't work for fob programming

Quick Reply: Key won't work for fob programming