C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with shifting into park now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 10:56 AM
rylandmako
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with shifting into park now wont start

After an issue with getting car to shift into park the car will not crank.. or attempt to turn over.
I believe I had gone from reverse to drive too quickly, it continued to reverse until i put it into park and shut it off. Then it would not even try to start the engine. After fixing the gear shift issue, the car still won't try to start. Everything lights up and proceeds as normal, even tried to jump the battery just to make sure. Still didn't help. Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:00 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have read many threads about the cable ends for the shifter cracking and falling out. So what was the issue not allowing you to shift into park? Did you try pushing the lever forward while trying to start the car. I believe I read there is a small switch that is also associated with the lever and starting that can be out of alignment. Does the shifter seem to work OK now? Will the car start in Neutral ( I assume it will but have not tried it)? Some of these issues I have read about might be for different year Corvettes. I assume also about the shifter being the cause due to your write up. There is also the brake switch as well.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:36 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Is it stuck in Park now? If so the park lockout switch is most likely bad. Do a forum search here for "Stuck in park" and it will show what the issue is for the lock out. The easy fix is to disable the lockout pawl on the shifter which will bypass the switch. The fix only takes about 30 minutes max to do. If not stuck in park the switch may still be your problem. The brake must also be depressed when trying to start the car which has a lockout switch which may be bad. Keep us posted on what the problem and the fix was on this.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:23 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by rylandmako
After an issue with getting car to shift into park the car will not crank.. or attempt to turn over.
I believe I had gone from reverse to drive too quickly, it continued to reverse until i put it into park and shut it off. Then it would not even try to start the engine. After fixing the gear shift issue, the car still won't try to start. Everything lights up and proceeds as normal, even tried to jump the battery just to make sure. Still didn't help. Thoughts?
May I ask what you did to fix the gear shift issue?? Did you have the cable replaced ?
Old 11-15-2023, 05:32 PM
jao321
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue

I believe the exact same thing just happened to me with a quick shift from reverse while still backing up causing a problem with shifter and then failure to start. Does anyone know how I might remedy this?
Old 11-15-2023, 08:43 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

If the shifter cable broken it might be in gear. it will only start park and neutral. Usually cable bushings are what breaks. More often than not, in consul under shifter. To Move car, raise driver's side and find trans linkage and shift it in to neutral. Now to drive it ,You need a most trusted helper. "Not advised" Once it starts driver holds brake slide under put trans in drive. once out lower car. "NOT ADVISED" FYI You can't reverse
Old 11-16-2023, 01:22 AM
zet06
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Its the neutral safety switch .I used to have to push my 08 shifter forwad as i started the car and finally took the whole mechanism apart as bypassing the switch was too dangerous for me. Shfting to park needs to be gentle ,not slammed.

Last edited by zet06; 11-18-2023 at 02:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Issue with shifting into park now wont start

Quick Reply: Issue with shifting into park now wont start