C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions regarding a lower mileage C6 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:51 PM
merlot
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions regarding a lower mileage C6 for sale

Hi all. Looking to buy my first Vette. I found an '06 3LT with both roofs, F55, and Nav. It has about 17,000 miles. During the test drive on the highway (>60 MPH), we heard some random mechanical whirring noises from the rear. Not sure if it was tires, the temp dealer tag flapping in the wind, or maybe suspension adjusting? Although I imagine the latter is just a voltage which rearranges the metal properties in the shock fluid - but I'm just guessing. Anyway, aside from that possible issue, I like the car. However, I feel it's over-priced. They are asking just under $26K, but my research shows it should be closer to $22K. Am I wrong? They seem to ignore KBB, Edmunds, sold eBay auctions, etc... by talking about how it's a 1 owner car. They pulled the old "we are already offering below cost". It's very nice, but not $4k nicer than others I see listed... Thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 10:11 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,468 Likes on 2,812 Posts

For that low of mileage, their price is fair. KBB and the like are notoriously inaccurate on Corvettes, and low miles affects the value significantly. 22k would be what a c5 in that condition and mileage would sell for.

Last edited by FAUEE; 11-27-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:23 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

As usual, I disagree. I think the price is too high. $26k is a reasonable price for an '09 with around 35K miles. The noise is neither the "suspension adjusting", nor a dealer tag whirring. It could be something simple, like tires, but I would not make an offer of any price without having it diagnosed. Might need a fluid change (cheap), or a new rear end (not cheap).

So, you have two replies from two guys are well-educated about values, but typically disagree...time to find at least a couple more opinions.
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (11-28-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Atomic6
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 126 Posts

I think the price is very close for a one owner 17k miles example, as long as everything checks out. If it needs repairs or tires, etc.. then negotiate down, Good luck if you go for it.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:50 PM
QuickSilver20
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts

As said above most of the valuation sites are off when it comes to Corvettes. For most people having a 1 owner, low mileage, and records is worth a little premium. I know when I got mine I knew I wasn’t getting a deal but given all the records the owner had I knew the car was well taken care of. I would check the fluids, tires, etc. to make sure there not old and have been replaced recently.

Another thing to to consider is if you plan to drive the car a lot you may want to consider a car with 50-70k miles and not pay the low mileage premium as it will depreciate once the miles are no longer considered low.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
As usual, I disagree. I think the price is too high. $26k is a reasonable price for an '09 with around 35K miles. The noise is neither the "suspension adjusting", nor a dealer tag whirring. It could be something simple, like tires, but I would not make an offer of any price without having it diagnosed. Might need a fluid change (cheap), or a new rear end (not cheap).

So, you have two replies from two guys are well-educated about values, but typically disagree...time to find at least a couple more opinions.
Buck has a great point. One thing to keep in mind, no matter what any of us say, no matter hjow many of us think it's worth this or that, the dealer is setting the price for that car. They may have paid 27k to a god customer because they have colector clients in the area that value the low miles.

The real question is, are you willing and able to pay what they want to sell the car?
Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 PM
merlot
Cruising

Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks. So a little more about the condition of the car. They were acting like this car is for the garage queen lover. Someone who brags about low mileage, pristine car. To me, that person is looking for what KBB would consider "Excellent" condition. I would say this car was in "Very Good" condition . The paint was nice, but there was some swirling and a small chip on the passenger side door. The driver's side bolster was wearing out to the point I could see a bit of white ( ebony interior). Finally, to be considered "Excellent", it would need a full set of maintenance records, which it had none. If it had the records, flawless paint and flawless leather, than maybe I'd say it was worth it. But that's my opinion, I'd like more of yours thanks!

Last edited by merlot; 11-28-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:56 PM
merlot
Cruising

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The real question is, are you willing and able to pay what they want to sell the car?
Certainly able, just not willing unless I'm convinced otherwise
​​​​​​
Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

All good comments from everyone, and I can't argue against any. For me, the most important thing was getting what I really wanted in a Corvette, even before getting a great price (shock!!). If the car is the color, trim level, has the wheels you like, and everything you really like, then the price is fair. If you are giving up something you want, you will not be happy at any price. Make sure you get what you want, or you will likely be selling it at a loss within a year.
astaggs (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:10 AM
ki-speed
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Unless the car is in show room condition they are asking to much. Check the tires closely. How old are tires? This last July I bought a 2008 3LT with both roofs, extra hood, upgraded wheels to 19/20, in like new condition (with 24,000 miles) for $27K.

Especially with winter coming the sales of Corvette's slows. Be patient in your search.

Good luck.

Mark
Old 11-28-2018, 08:21 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
All good comments from everyone, and I can't argue against any. For me, the most important thing was getting what I really wanted in a Corvette, even before getting a great price (shock!!). If the car is the color, trim level, has the wheels you like, and everything you really like, then the price is fair. If you are giving up something you want, you will not be happy at any price. Make sure you get what you want, or you will likely be selling it at a loss within a year.
I couldn't agree more. I did this on my first c6, I bought the good deal, not the car I wanted. That lasted less than a year before I traded for the black GS I really wanted, that was a few grand more.

If you go into vette ownership worrying about the best value, best price, etc. You will not enjoy vette ownership. They are not smart financial decisions, they are emotional decisions.
astaggs (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 AM
merlot
Cruising

Originally Posted by ki-speed
Unless the car is in show room condition they are asking to much. Check the tires closely. How old are tires? This last July I bought a 2008 3LT with both roofs, extra hood, upgraded wheels to 19/20, in like new condition (with 24,000 miles) for $27K.

Especially with winter coming the sales of Corvette's slows. Be patient in your search.

Good luck.

Mark
I had a hard time locating the manufacturer date on the Eagle F1's. I think I found the front tires were manufactured in 2012, but the rears I had no luck. The dealer tells me 2 tires were replaced, but couldn't tell me which ones. I'm guessing maybe the fronts? They'll be contacted me today so I try and get more info.

I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard - once I have my mind set on a new purchase it takes over me :/
Old 11-28-2018, 09:17 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by merlot
I had a hard time locating the manufacturer date on the Eagle F1's. I think I found the front tires were manufactured in 2012, but the rears I had no luck. The dealer tells me 2 tires were replaced, but couldn't tell me which ones. I'm guessing maybe the fronts? They'll be contacted me today so I try and get more info.

I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard - once I have my mind set on a new purchase it takes over me :/
Slow down and be patient. Don't get ahead of yourself. You will regret it. If you like the car and think they are asking too much then do 1 of 2 things. 1. move on 2. make them diagnose and fix all of your concerns including tires. Just because a tire has minimal wear on it does not mean its still good. The Goodyears that came on the car are junk especially if they are the originals. No reason that car, with as few miles it has on it, should not be driving straight with minimal noises.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If the car is at a Chevy dealer ask them to run a VIS report, it should show you any maintenance that has been performed at a GM dealership.

I feel the car is overpriced but if it is what you want and you are willing to pay a little more for the "right" vette then it may be worth it to you.

I am on my 1st vette and I was willing to pay a little more for it. 2005 1SB, manual trans, Z51, both tops, NAV, pretty much every option, 1 owner 39K miles, very good condition and I bought it from the dealer who sold it brand new and I got a pretty good history of the maintenance. I have owned the car about 18 months, they were asking $25k, I paid $23k after some haggling.
Landru (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:39 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by merlot

Patience in a situation like this only works of it isnt the car you want. There is no joy in trying to buy a car, the joy comes from owning one. Skipping out on a car to save a grand or two and missing months of ownership isnt worth it to me. And if you're looking for something particular or rare, you may not ever find another car like it.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:43 AM
74plb
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought a 2007 3LT F55 Base auto last October for 26.5 with 10400 miles with no damage whatsoever. This car had a set of new Michelin run flats and no mods other than a axle back exhaust.
Price wise I think I did ok considering condition. Unless you can be happy with the ding in the door and the worn bolster I'd move on to another one. They are still out there to be found. Or make an offer that you feel happy owning the car for

74Plb

Last edited by 74plb; 11-28-2018 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2018, 10:49 AM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 194 Posts

Thought I would give you my experience even though it's not exactly the same. I found and bought my Vette 2 months ago after looking for a long time It was exactly what I wanted except the "red" color is crystal instead of torch. Close enough. It was in excellent shape and had more than I was looking for. It's a 2009 Z51 option, 44,000 KM (27,500 mi), chrome wheel upgrade, carbon splitter and rear facia, custom spoiler, K&N intake, for approx. $35,000 Cdn (approx 27,000 U.S. $).
I was anxious to buy once I committed but was glad I waited for the right one.

Get notified of new replies

To A few questions regarding a lower mileage C6 for sale

Old 11-28-2018, 11:48 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

When shopping for my car, I heard every excuse that could raise the value: Never driven in the rain... 1-2 owner... Previous owner was an 80 year old car collector... Was kept in a heated garage... T-top has never been taken off...

For me the hardest part was finding a 3LT with a manual transmission. Everything I found was automatic. I got mine at high blue book level. I passed on about 12 different corvettes because they wouldnt budge on price. Mine had 37k on it.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM
merlot
Cruising

The dealership called back and basically said 2 things... They probably won't budge from their asking price, and their mechanic said the noise from the rear was "normal". The search continues. Thanks all for your opinions.

Last edited by merlot; 11-28-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:32 PM
kevinjm
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I paid $26k for my '06 with 5k miles last December. It was fully load (3LT) with the Z-51 package. No dual roof tho.
Your deal sounds good to me.

Quick Reply: A few questions regarding a lower mileage C6 for sale