C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions regarding a lower mileage C6 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:31 AM
SRQ Vette
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by merlot
The dealership called back and basically said 2 things... They probably won't budge from their asking price, and their mechanic said the noise from the rear was "normal". The search continues. Thanks all for your opinions.
If they won't budge from their asking price, I think they are going to own that car for a long time. 26k would buy a comparable 2007 or 2008 convertible with super low miles, and coupes generally sell for less $.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:13 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 151 Posts

The dealership called back and basically said 2 things... They probably won't budge from their asking price, and their mechanic said the noise from the rear was "normal". The search continues. Thanks all for your opinions.
I like your decision.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 AM
SUP54
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Purchased a 2007 Base 1LT that had two tops, one year old Michelin tires and spotless. Mileage was 23,900. Paid $23,900.00 / Automatic / Silver in color

I would recommend keep looking.

SUP
Old 11-29-2018, 10:29 AM
BlackMamba89
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought 07 3LT, Z51, dual roofs, 16k miles for $25.5k in April of this year. Based on KBB, it was a good deal (though it seems a lot of people think KBB is inaccurate?). At the end of the day, it was exactly what I was looking for and I don't regret the purchase. Whenever I'm driving it, I'm super happy and I'm not sitting there thinking, "Man, I wish I had 'X' or I wish I had gotten 'Y' instead". It was listed at $26.5k, but I got $1k off because the tires were still OEM and I replaced them with Michelin A/S Pilot Sports 3+, which are great and made it feel like a new car, IMO.

Like others have said, I think it's important to buy the one you want, even if the price may not be "perfect" and that's coming from a guy who is usually the complete opposite of impulsive when buying things. That's not to say overpay like crazy, but if one is in the ballpark, I'd probably go for it.

Another note, when I bought the car, the KBB was $27.5k and when I last checked (within the last month or two), the KBB dropped to like $22-23k, iirc. So definitely wild price fluctuations on KBB based on seasons.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

I bought my '09 base model in jan. 2017. this was my first 'vette and was wanting one for many years ( decades? ).
as I'm not the kind to do a lot research, I had little info or requirements to get in the way of my decision.
I did narrow it down to 2008 or newer ( LS3 ) & manual trans. beyond that even the color options were open ( somewhat ).
I did locate this '09, 3LT, with the Z51, NPP, J55 option. this was from the original owner. the carfax report showed regular service intervals ( maybe even more then necessary ). it did have some miles on it though ( 98k ). I ended up paying $19.5k.
this happened to be within my budget. the only other choice I would have made, would be a Z06, but those were beyond my $.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 AM
merlot
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I had a little communication with the owner. It boils down to him telling me anything less than his asking price is unreasonable. The car has been on his lot since this summer and he's come down $3,000 from his original asking price according to cargurus.com. It will be interesting if he eventual brings it down more if it sits longer.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:31 AM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you made an offer? Anyone can talk but if an offer is made sometimes you get a different reaction. It is possible they did pay quite a bit for it initially, but sometimes they will take what they can get after they've had it awhile. After running a dealership for years I've held firm, and taken low offers also.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:36 AM
merlot
Cruising

Originally Posted by trebor8008
Have you made an offer? Anyone can talk but if an offer is made sometimes you get a different reaction. It is possible they did pay quite a bit for it initially, but sometimes they will take what they can get after they've had it awhile. After running a dealership for years I've held firm, and taken low offers also.
I did, but I guess they were offended when I said I'd like to be closer to $22K. I found a 2005, same exact options, about 7K more miles, was listed for $21,900. Unfortunately it was recently sold, but still listed so I used it as a bargaining tool. They said since it was older it would cost less. Sorry, but 1 year difference on an identical car is not a $4,000 difference. The fact that there was no counter is what boggles my mind. I'd have played the game until we met somewhere in the middle.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:46 AM
hotinaztoo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires, they will be hard as a rock, and noisy as hell, if they are original! (Goodyear Run Flats)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:06 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,468 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I did, but I guess they were offended when I said I'd like to be closer to $22K. I found a 2005, same exact options, about 7K more miles, was listed for $21,900. Unfortunately it was recently sold, but still listed so I used it as a bargaining tool. They said since it was older it would cost less. Sorry, but 1 year difference on an identical car is not a $4,000 difference. The fact that there was no counter is what boggles my mind. I'd have played the game until we met somewhere in the middle.
Actually, 05s go for MUCH less due to a host of issues unique to the 05s. An older transmission, weaker rear end, external antenna, steering wheel that is mostly hated, having to leave manuals in reverse or the battery drains, etc.

The dealer is right in this case, 2005s are worth MUCH less than 2006s with their many improvements.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:50 AM
74plb
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Yesterday I had a little communication with the owner. It boils down to him telling me anything less than his asking price is unreasonable. The car has been on his lot since this summer and he's come down $3,000 from his original asking price according to cargurus.com. It will be interesting if he eventual brings it down more if it sits longer.
My car started out at 31995 on cargurus.com They were at 28995 when I bought it at 26.5. The dealer wouldn't even fill it up with gas to send me on my way. They said they were glad to see it go though Guess they think they can wait it out for the right buyer. Good luck to them
Old 12-01-2018, 01:15 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

The '05 is not an identical car...there were significant changes between '05 and '06, and again in '08. That is not to say the 05 is not a great car...I would take a nice '05 any day. But, that is a valid reason for the price difference. You will find that (in most cases), private sellers do not differentiate much between the years, but dealers will.

Your comment about the '05/'06 being "identical" tells me you have not done enough research to make a knowledge-based decision. That is fine, as most Vette buyers purchase on emotion, or lifelong desire, rather than knowledge about the car. Those same buyers more often get rid of their vehicles rather quickly when they learn they do not like the car, or that it is missing something a newer model has.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:14 PM
merlot
Cruising

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
The '05 is not an identical car...there were significant changes between '05 and '06, and again in '08. That is not to say the 05 is not a great car...I would take a nice '05 any day. But, that is a valid reason for the price difference. You will find that (in most cases), private sellers do not differentiate much between the years, but dealers will.

Your comment about the '05/'06 being "identical" tells me you have not done enough research to make a knowledge-based decision. That is fine, as most Vette buyers purchase on emotion, or lifelong desire, rather than knowledge about the car. Those same buyers more often get rid of their vehicles rather quickly when they learn they do not like the car, or that it is missing something a newer model has.
By identical, I mean options. I realize there are some difference's between the '05 and '06. Mainly, a better diff, different steering wheel, no reverse required for parking, plus some other minor things. Correct? Does that make it $4000 less? I personally do not think so.

Anyway, it looks like I might be purchasing a Porsche 996 instead. While I really liked the Vette, the 911 spoke to me. As much as I want an American V8, I have had one before. I have yet to own something with the wonderful German flat-6. A Vette is till in my future, maybe just a little longer down the road. You all have a great forum here and have provided great answers in a timely manner. I will still be lurking here as I always have (since 2012). Thanks again!
Old 12-01-2018, 05:09 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Good luck with the 996, they're great drivers but at the high point of a bubble right now. They're also FULL of issues, not very quick, and have interiors on par with a c5. I've given thought to them, but between ins bearings that are engine killers, and the fact that they're just so overpriced right now. I expect them to come crashing down in price in the next year or so.
down
Ghood luck! They're fun cars for sure. I suspect a 997 S is in my future, once prices settle down.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:49 PM
merlot
Cruising

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Good luck with the 996, they're great drivers but at the high point of a bubble right now. They're also FULL of issues, not very quick, and have interiors on par with a c5. I've given thought to them, but between ins bearings that are engine killers, and the fact that they're just so overpriced right now. I expect them to come crashing down in price in the next year or so.
down
Ghood luck! They're fun cars for sure. I suspect a 997 S is in my future, once prices settle down.
I've been following the prices for a while and do not think they are at a high point (I think 2016 was the low). I think they are on the rise. They are currently the lightest 911 you can buy, and are great driving cars. Many people are coming around to them, hence the rise. While the IMS issue is overblown, I'm getting the IMS replaced before I pick mine up for piece of mind. My research shows they are quite reliable. As for interior - yeah, not great but I think it's better than the Fisher-Price stuff Chevy put in the C5
Old 12-01-2018, 06:11 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I've been following the prices for a while and do not think they are at a high point (I think 2016 was the low). I think they are on the rise. They are currently the lightest 911 you can buy, and are great driving cars. Many people are coming around to them, hence the rise. While the IMS issue is overblown, I'm getting the IMS replaced before I pick mine up for piece of mind. My research shows they are quite reliable. As for interior - yeah, not great but I think it's better than the Fisher-Price stuff Chevy put in the C5
They're about the same quality wise, unless you get one with the full leather interior (rare). Then it's like a c5 with j f customs leather wrapped pieces. IMS isn't overblown, it's something that should is be handled as routine upkeep (I think of it like a throw out bearing, it should be done on a clutch job).

I can't agree with your assessment, I think that as aircooled 911s went nuts, people jumped to 996s as they were cheap and 911s and people thought they'd make money on them. In 2013 they were going for like half what they are now. Either way, good luck! Only time will tell!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:24 PM
merlot
Cruising

I think we are both wrong. Take a look at this chart from CarGuru's. I selected a 2003 model, which is the one I'm interested in purchasing. It shows end of 2013 to be a high-point while 2017 was a big dip and now they are going up.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:37 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Noise is probably the crap tires especially if they are originals. Could be stale fluid in rear end especially since it is the older version of fluid. I already see you decided against it and I agree. Low miles isnt a real big difference if the miles are not ultra low. It was priced too high. They probably got it for around $20k.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 PM
merlot
Cruising

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Noise is probably the crap tires especially if they are originals. Could be stale fluid in rear end especially since it is the older version of fluid. I already see you decided against it and I agree. Low miles isnt a real big difference if the miles are not ultra low. It was priced too high. They probably got it for around $20k.
Thanks for the info fellow Birds fan ​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: A few questions regarding a lower mileage C6 for sale