C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
LOL, a guy who has a Vette, races, and doesn't know what "hole shot" means? Oh well, he IS from Canada.
Literally never heard that term used in track or autocross... Well, I race RC buggies too, and we have Hole shot tires...
Old 11-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
Literally never heard that term used in track or autocross... Well, I race RC buggies too, and we have Hole shot tires...
Maybe it's regional slang.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:00 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

You're being way to kind BRUZEY !!!!!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by windyC6
You're being way to kind BRUZEY !!!!!
Are you hinting around that Canucks still all live in igloos and only get around with sled dogs?

Why can't a sled dog team do a "hole shot"?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
I have no idea what you're talking about... hole shots?

If you can't tell when your tires are low or high pressure, that's not my problem. Stop being a troll
Do they drag race in your neck of the woods? Thats where two cars....and sometime as many as four cars, race from a standing start. Now go educate yourself and learn something before you call someone a troll!!!
Old 11-04-2018, 11:26 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Only if that region stretches from New York to California. I've been hearing that term most of my life, and it didn't matter what part of the country I was in.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Are you hinting around that Canucks still all live in igloos and only get around with sled dogs?

Why can't a sled dog team do a "hole shot"?

Well now Bruze, when you're talking about dogs that are tethered together in a line so the dog in the back is looking at the "hole" of the dog in front ot it, the term "hole shot" takes on a whole new meaning....
Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Well now Bruze, when you're talking about dogs that are tethered together in a line so the dog in the back is looking at the "hole" of the dog in front ot it, the term "hole shot" takes on a whole new meaning....
Good points, Ed.

I suppose if every male dog in a team had a female in heat in front of him, the hole shot would be unbeatable -- even if racing a Vette.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:29 PM
rickmorris
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't find a thread on best summer performance tires for a C6. Also, since Vettes don't have spare tires, are run flats decent for performance and comfort? (I don't track the car.) If using non-runflats, in the event of a flat, can you use one of those pressurized sealer cans like "Fix-a-Flat" that advertise they're "safe for TPMS"?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:22 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

How do you know which one is off?
3 handheld pressure gauges. No cheapos...all 3 fairly expensive....one liquid filled , one digital , one metal pencil type....and the pressure gauge on the air hose. All read 30 lbs. They cant all be wrong. Or maybe the car is right. Im just going by my own experiance. I also used them on my other car with tpms and all of them were the same. All of my investigations points to the car being wrong. I think I have too much time on my hands....lol

Clif
Old 11-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by z06clif
3 handheld pressure gauges. No cheapos...all 3 fairly expensive....one liquid filled , one digital , one metal pencil type....and the pressure gauge on the air hose. All read 30 lbs. They cant all be wrong. Or maybe the car is right. Im just going by my own experiance. I also used them on my other car with tpms and all of them were the same. All of my investigations points to the car being wrong. I think I have too much time on my hands....lol

Clif
Ha, I do the same thing with outdoor digital thermometers.

If you take a big glass with a lot of ice, and then fill it with water and let it set for 10-15 minutes, supposedly the water will be 32°. Then I immerse an old-fashioned outdoor thermo with alcohol in it for several minutes and see what it reads (they are typically quite accurate).

Now I have a known standard, so I put it outside next to the digital sensor and see how close they are. It's not unusual for cheap digitals to be off 1-2°.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:05 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

If you take a big glass with a lot of ice, and then fill it with water and let it set for 10-15 minutes, supposedly the water will be 32°. Then I immerse an old-fashioned outdoor thermo with alcohol in it for several minutes and see what it reads (they are typically quite accurate).

Now I have a known standard, so I put it outside next to the digital sensor and see how close they are. It's not unusual for cheap digitals to be off 1-2°.
I agree with the digital ones being off. Sunday on an early run all tires read 28 lbs which warmed up to 30 lbs after a few miles. I know the car and what not to do. Cooler temps can be memorable. Time to slow it down. We will be closed down in a short while anyway. By the way ....all of my gauges were the same...again

Clif
Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 PM
AYello1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back-In-The-Day (late '60's) we aired the nose wheels on our F-4 Phantoms to 150 psi....main wheels to 300 psi. We also placed an armored cage over the tire/wheel assembly when doing so. Never saw a "ka-boom" in 5 years...even with up to seven steel belts exposed.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Yea....all this cheap digital stuff is fine and dandy and is probably accurate enough for the "Common Man" like myself, but when ever you start talking about taking measurements that will have to involve a bunch of 000's either in front of, or behind a decimal point...Nasa's tools may be spot on...... but a margin for error has to be expected in the common mans tools......

Last edited by windyC6; 11-07-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

with Bilstein shocks, about 34 seems right. Rides good, tracks straight, turn-in is a little quicker, less wallow.

it seems whenever I put new shocks on a vehicle, the air pressure needs to go up.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:47 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 907 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by rickmorris
Can't find a thread on best summer performance tires for a C6. Also, since Vettes don't have spare tires, are run flats decent for performance and comfort? (I don't track the car.) If using non-runflats, in the event of a flat, can you use one of those pressurized sealer cans like "Fix-a-Flat" that advertise they're "safe for TPMS"?

Does this tire look OK to you? Should I decrease the pressure since it seems to be wearing unevenly on the outside?
Old 11-08-2018, 05:42 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dr_gallup

Does this tire look OK to you? Should I decrease the pressure since it seems to be wearing unevenly on the outside?
Since it's not a Harley I wouldn't worry about it.......

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure

Old 11-08-2018, 06:34 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by windyC6
Since it's not a Harley I wouldn't worry about it.......
I hate when that happens

Old 11-18-2018, 07:57 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

OK, real answer. With Michelin run flat all season ZP and Bilstein shocks: 32lb

32LB is right answer. It wallows at 30lb. 32lb and the car is more responsive with good ride.

I've noticed that my cars work better with increasing air pressure and new shocks.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

So what about this idea. Evil Twin, Bill, was a C5 test engineer.

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

"Ive posted this at least 200 times. That sticker on the Door is a DOT compliance sticker.. it's designed to keep people from inflating their tires to 63 psi as it says on the sidewall of the tire.. Tires are not made for specific cars, they are made for specific sizes, therefore, the weight bareing load is different based on the car and its weight. While many people read that as a cold tire pressure, summer or winter .. it is not accurate. 30 cold means nothing because the tire is not in work mode.. Therefore it's not at operating temperature. What you have to do is keep the tire in the sweet spot... 30 psi is the right tire pressure for a 3200 lb vehicle. However,inflating a tire to 30 when they are col dmeans nothing.. Its when they are actually rolling..... take for example, a cool morning test in you garage might yield a 30 psi tire pressdure.. but take that tire out on the road and by noon on a hot day 90+ and on a black top road, the surface temperure of that road can see 160 degree F. NOw that 30 psi tire is at 38 psi.. which will make the tire over pressured for a 3200 lb car. making the footprint ( contact patch ) become center high , reducing the contact patch, wearing the center out of thew tire and reducing the traction and performance and fuel economy..

IN the summer.. there is a big swing in ambient temperature, as much as 40 degrees in 24 hours..

So after giving you all of this information. it is fairly easy to see where your tire pressure should be. For me, in the summer I set my tires to 26/28 psi. this will insure that my tires do not get over pressured by mid day. You don't have to adjust the pressure daily or weekly or even monthly.. but between June and August, you want light pressure cold (26/28 psi ) this will put them in the sweet spot, and give you the best performance and insure against premature center wear. On a really hot day 90+ and you are out and about.. check with the DIC and see if your tires are where they should be.. if they are north of 34 or 35 psi, drop a few pound to get you to 30/31 psi. That should be your set point. check once a month, because 02 escapes through the side wall ( more in the summer ) . Winter time, tire pressure become lower because the air is more dense , so you may have to add tire pressure in the winter because with O2 loss and cold temps you don't want to be running around on 26 psi, you may even get a low tire warning in the winter, and need to pump up the pressure.. This is what I call tire tuning for best performance and tire longevity..

This is how all Indy, and Nascar events are monitored by pit crews. They monitor track condition and track temperature to insure proper tire pressure so they can get that extra two laps out of a tire, and those extra miles of fuel consumption. Races are won or lost on improper tire pressure. Proper tire pressure tuning is good for your cars performance and also for its fuel economy.. and of course your wallet.. understand tire pressure and it will greatly benefit your Corvette experience. BTW just 1 or 2 psi can make a big difference. That extra mile to the gallon of fuel, and those extra thousand miles to a set of tires.
POST #189 on this subject.
Happy summer
Bill aka ET

So Keep it in the sweet spot." ( 30/31 psi Hot )

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure