C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Power top broke

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:19 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default C6 Power top broke

The top cover pull down on my 2008 broke. Could not get the top closed. Lucky I have it in a garage. The housing for the gear box broke into 4 pieces. It's made of clear plastic for some stupid reason. Clear plastic is always more brittle. When I looked on the GM parts sites they all show the complete unit for about $285. I searched the number on the motor. It comes up with just the motor and the broken housing. Everywhere I found it says it won't fit the Corvette. They are wrong. It is only about $80 on Amazon but they say it wont fit. I bought it anyway. It is cheaper on Ebay by about $5 but Amazon returns are easier if it did not fit. But it will. It is straight forward to install the parts from the old one except 1 thing. When you put the gear in the new one adjust it so the latch hoop is high. That way you can get the switch on the side of the control part between the two tabs on the hoop and into the slot it slides into. Then just put it back into the car and it will work just fine. Unfortunately they still make the housing out of clear plastic so it will likely break again. The only other thing you need is white grease to put in the new gear box. I hope this helps someone else. Only tools needed area 10mm nut driver a torx driver and something to pull the 3 push pins to remove the waterfall. If I had the part in hand to start with it would have been a 20 minute fix.
The following 2 users liked this post by duramaxsky:
RicK T (10-21-2018), weezon (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:28 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Nice find and thanks for sharing. Do you have any pics you can post, even just something from Amazon showing the new parts so people know exactly what this is? TIA
Old 10-21-2018, 12:51 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

I did not take any photos but it is right behind the waterfall. Search for AC DELCO 16889150 you will find it. That number is also on the sticker on the motor.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:58 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

This is the photo from Amazon.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:00 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

This is the broken one
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:00 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

One other thing. It mounts in vertical slots for adjustment. I put it at the top and closed the cover. Then I backed off the bolts and pushed the cover down to the stops. Then I tightened the bolts. That set it in the correct place.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Power top broke

Quick Reply: C6 Power top broke