C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Replacement/Anti-Theft

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Radio Replacement/Anti-Theft

I will be replacing our radio in our 2005 Base unit with a newer/used OEM unit. I've been told we'll have to bring the car to a Chevy dealership afterwards because of the anti-theft built into the unit/car, is this correct?

The current radio is not a touch screen with NAV, the unit going in is the same but just with an AUX jack on the face.

Thanks,
Old 09-25-2018, 05:14 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I know that Nav units are locked, so should assume that all radios are. If that is the case, yes, it will need to be unlocked. If you know somebody with a tech-II tool, that might do it. Otherwise, you will be charged between $0 and $200 by your dealer. For this reason alone, many people choose to replace with a non-Gm product, usually an upgrade at no extra cost.
The following users liked this post:
Ruouthere (09-25-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I know that Nav units are locked, so should assume that all radios are. If that is the case, yes, it will need to be unlocked. If you know somebody with a tech-II tool, that might do it. Otherwise, you will be charged between $0 and $200 by your dealer. For this reason alone, many people choose to replace with a non-Gm product, usually an upgrade at no extra cost.
Okay so the answer is yes I'm locked out with a 6 CD non-NAV OEM unit. That said now I need to decide do I ask a Chevy dealership to try and unlock it or buy a brand name unit and struggle adapting it??

Anybody else get locked out and find a solution?
Old 09-26-2018, 06:28 PM
TecCrash
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruouthere
Okay so the answer is yes I'm locked out with a 6 CD non-NAV OEM unit. That said now I need to decide do I ask a Chevy dealership to try and unlock it or buy a brand name unit and struggle adapting it??

So that's interesting. I just has a Pioneer installed in our 2005 Base and I never ran into anything on being locked or being tied to the Anti-Theft during my research. I came from a Nav unit if that makes any difference. The things I paid attention to were making sure I was compatible with the Bose system, the OnStar and the Chime unit. I was able to re-use the OEM Sat antennae, and we added a backup camera. It seemed like it was an easy install, they had it all done in about 4 hours.

Was there only certain radios that had that built in?

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by TecCrash; 09-26-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:01 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Tec, it's not weird. It is the GM radio that has a lock function so that people won't steal it. There is nothing in the wiring or installation that involves a lock. A new non-GM unit that fits in the space will usually be a simple install. But, a used GM unit as a replacement must be unlocked. Many vehicles have the same feature.
Speed07
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

All of the factory radios have theft lock built in, even my lowly non-Bose single CD player. Most dealers will charge an hour labor to unlock a radio.
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

It is free to ask your dealer the question...
Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
It is free to ask your dealer the question...
Dealer solution is an hour or more in Service to reprogram. I was hoping to find a solution to unlock a newer C6 OEM radio without going to the dealer and paying his prices. I found an old forum thread from 2004 that has links to the solution or so they said, but the link no longer works.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:24 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Dealer solution is an hour or more in Service to reprogram. I was hoping to find a solution to unlock a newer C6 OEM radio without going to the dealer and paying his prices. I found an old forum thread from 2004 that has links to the solution or so they said, but the link no longer works.
If you can find someone with a Tech II tool they can unlock it.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:14 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Probably because that is a different model radio. This issue has been discussed hundreds of times. You will not be able to "work around it" by yourself. It either MUST be unlocked, or a non-GM radio used. Yes, a tech II tool will also work,as has been stated. But, that is it...
Old 09-27-2018, 07:31 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Stock OEM C6 radio has a chip in it that marries to the BCM at the very first start up. When the radio is place in a new car, since the car's BCM check everything on the GM lan bus at start up, the Radio does not hand shake correctly with the BCM in the new car, and will go into lock mode.

So with a Tech II, you go into diagnostic, year of the car, Y model, radio, radio relearn, and clear the radio chip of the old BCM secuirty key. When the car starts again and the BCM does a quick check of all the devices on the GM lan bus, the BCM will marry the radio it's security key to your done.

The Tech II remarry of the radio takes about 3 mins itself once it plugged into the car, but GM charges a hrs worth of time when they use the Tech II (the paper work part, mech's time and to help pay for the tool and the TDS subscription costs, so ends up being a $125'ish cost every time the dealer has to use the Tech II on the car.

For this reason, and that you really need a Tech II if your going to wrench on the car, best to just pick up a clone one of your own. A clone Tech II will run about $300, while a clone MDI with Tech2 win (works just like a Tech II), runs around $130 instead. Also to point out, since GM has gone to the MDI as well, with a Clone MDI, it will run GDS2, which is the software used for GM cars after around the 2013 point.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:08 AM
h2oskiman
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced mine took it to my dealership 30 dollars and 30 minutes
Old 09-27-2018, 10:38 AM
SwampRat
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider an aftermarket unit. I also have a 2005, and I just had a Kenwood Excelon installed where my 6 cd changer used to be. It has touch screen, bluetooth, a usb port, and about 800 other things I haven't figured out yet. But there was no locking issue and the newer technology is fantastic!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

Chevu dealer charged 30 dollars.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:06 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

If your relationship with your dealer is good, perhaps try there. My local dealer wanted $90 to do it. Took it to an independent shop and paid $40 for literally 5 minutes worth of work with a Tech II.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Ruouthere
Instructor

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
If your relationship with your dealer is good, perhaps try there. My local dealer wanted $90 to do it. Took it to an independent shop and paid $40 for literally 5 minutes worth of work with a Tech II.
Thankfully we do have a good relationship with our local Chevy dealer, 20mins and $64 the radio was unlocked.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 AM
jmcoll
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the Pioneer model number and ballpark cost of unit and installation?

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Replacement/Anti-Theft

Old 03-29-2019, 05:14 PM
nzmopar1992
1st Gear

Default Tech II

Just though I would add my 2 cents in here. I don’t own a corvette. I was googling this issue to fix my issue with my xm in my truck but I’m sure tbesilversdo and corvette share the same module so I’ll be doing this my module was working but then the next it doesn’t. I replaced the antenna but still nothing. Anyway I’ll try the module now.

What i I wanted to add though is the fact I own. Tech II as I own so many gm vehicles between my father and I I thought it was worth having. But what I wanted to say was. That if any one out there wanted me to unlock their radio I could do it. That’s if you’re near where I travel. I do a bit of driving through the US. I’ll help who ever needed their units unlocked. It only works up to 2007 though. I wouldn’t charge you to do it as I don’t mind helping others and it’s apretty easy thing to do. I just wish the tech 2 would unlock the xm modules also.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:31 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Do you have a Bosch tech II or one of the clones? You bring up it will only go up to 2007, but Card may have to reflash the card to get it to go up to 2013.
Check the firmware and if it not GM English 33.04, then below link how to reflash the PCMCIA card up to the lastest firmware.
http://blog.obdii365.com/2015/07/30/...ulti-language/

Or just buy a new card that is firmware 33.04 for $20 instead.
Note, 33.04 is the last firmware update for the Tech II's for GM before GM just moved the MDI's.
http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesa...yABEgJKJPD_BwE

Last edited by Dano523; 03-30-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:19 PM
kypirate
7th Gear

Do you live or drive through Lexington, Kentucky ? My radio needs unlocked ! 2004 Corvette

Quick Reply: Radio Replacement/Anti-Theft