C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever shift to neutral and coast to stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:51 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
How do you guys steer? If I pull on the left side of my steering wheel the car goes left. Pull on the right side, it goes right. Is this normal? Am I doing it right? Will I wear out my steering wheel?

I know the hands are ALWAYS supposed to be on the "10" and "2" position, but I notice sometimes my right hand will slip down to about the 2:30 position. Could this cause me to lose control of my car?

I
I'm with you on this, except the old "10 and 2" position. are you familiar with "degloving"?
Old 08-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
I
I'm with you on this, except the old "10 and 2" position. are you familiar with "degloving"?
Nope. But when I was a kid some older family friend had a suicide **** with a bikinied babe embedded into the face of the ****. Was probably Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, or a similar babe.

I said someday when I get a car, Imma gettin' one of them! I did have suicide ***** on a couple of my old cars, but could never find one with a babe on it.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:46 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Nope. But when I was a kid some older family friend had a suicide **** with a bikinied babe embedded into the face of the ****. Was probably Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, or a similar babe.

I said someday when I get a car, Imma gettin' one of them! I did have suicide ***** on a couple of my old cars, but could never find one with a babe on it.
either one of them dames did not end well ( check on the history of Jayne's death ).
Old 08-28-2018, 03:32 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 589 Posts

Thought that was a Necker ****. That reminds me, I need one for my boat.

I frequently coast in neutral driving around town. If I'm driving hard in the mountains I down shift just before corner entry to be in the right gear on the way out.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:40 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Thought that was a Necker ****.
They call that something else in Detroit...
Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cgladish
either one of them dames did not end well ( check on the history of Jayne's death ).
Too lazy to Google, but if memory serves MM committed suicide. Drawing a blank on Jayne.

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Thought that was a Necker ****. That reminds me, I need one for my boat.

I frequently coast in neutral driving around town. If I'm driving hard in the mountains I down shift just before corner entry to be in the right gear on the way out.
You coast around town and drive in the mountains with your boat?
Old 08-28-2018, 04:24 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Too lazy to Google, but if memory serves MM committed suicide. Drawing a blank on Jayne.

You coast around town and drive in the mountains with your boat?
'ol Jayne rearended a semi, I believe she was either totally or at least partially decapitated.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:28 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Please know: It is not legal in all areas to "coast in neutral." Learn from my experience. I got pulled over for doing 60 in a 45 some years ago. I told the officer that as soon as I saw the speed limit sign, I put the vehicle in neutral and was coasting down to speed. His response "you can't do that" and wrote up the ticket for 1) Over the Limit. 2) Coasting in Neutral and 3) Failure to sign registration. My registration was accurate at the time, but I hadn't actually signed the piece of paper that stays in the vehicle. The officer wrote me up for all 3 violations. I ended up challenging it in court. The lawyer I worked with found a statute that refers to coasting DOWNHILL in neutral, and the judge agreed that the violation was only a technicality and ended up settling on a much smaller fine instead of the full triple-violation ticket.

Just throwing this out here. Technically freewheeling is not legal in all areas. Most people would never care. But, to cover your bases, know the laws for your area. Just in case you end up with a technicality.

Last edited by mellojoe; 08-28-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:02 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I do it when traffic conditions allow. If others are around you always want the option to be able to accelerate if needed.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mellojoe
Please know: It is not legal in all areas to "coast in neutral." Learn from my experience. I got pulled over for doing 60 in a 45 some years ago. I told the officer that as soon as I saw the speed limit sign, I put the vehicle in neutral and was coasting down to speed. His response "you can't do that" and wrote up the ticket for 1) Over the Limit. 2) Coasting in Neutral and 3) Failure to sign registration. My registration was accurate at the time, but I hadn't actually signed the piece of paper that stays in the vehicle. The officer wrote me up for all 3 violations. I ended up challenging it in court. The lawyer I worked with found a statute that refers to coasting DOWNHILL in neutral, and the judge agreed that the violation was only a technicality and ended up settling on a much smaller fine instead of the full triple-violation ticket.

Just throwing this out here. Technically freewheeling is not legal in all areas. Most people would never care. But, to cover your bases, know the laws for your area. Just in case you end up with a technicality.
Yup, and there is a reason for it, as anyone who read my post #3 would know.

Probably not as dangerous as watching **** while driving, but it's a bad habit to get into and there is nothing to be gained.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:12 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

I coast with the clutch in and according to speed....... I pick a gear . The reason being in case something unforseen happens Im in gear and can get out of trouble. Lots of traffic here in NY s..t happens

Clif
Old 08-28-2018, 07:15 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by hrt vlv
Manual transmission I assume
Well, he did mention clutch "ware".
Old 08-28-2018, 07:33 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
LOL, yes. Years ago (long before I came to CF) I would point out these glaring misuses of the language, but got so much flak for it I gave up. Nowadays, the "smart" phones have taken over and think they know what word you want, and then actually insert it. Some posts are unreadable because of that, and I blame not the phone -- but the humans who post stuff and DON'T PROOFREAD IT before sending.

As for the thread subject . . .

Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I had a friend who would coast his automatic transmission Acura downhill coasting along 60mph then when he would start to lose speed he would drop it in gear. It didn't take long to actually blow the transmission up. Clutches, gears, and all the wares were wearing more where coasting was thought to save his wares from wearing out prematurely. Where to purchase wares that wear out is costly to weary corvette owners is another subject. Wearily, Bill
Old 08-29-2018, 09:44 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Have been driving Monster's stage 3 clutch now for over 7 years. Needless to say when I am at stop, I shift to neutral with the quickness . Only time I downshift to slow down is to hear the pipes
Old 08-29-2018, 10:12 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Downshifting ....( back a few posts. ) IMHO, I think that downshifting is half the fun of driving a manual especially if you double clutch with rev match, or even just single clutch with rev match. Double clutching/rev match (if you do it right, I don't always get it perfect takes some practice) produces a wonderful shift feel and an even better sound. Also its fairly easy on the clutch and the drive line, assuming you get it right.

BTW: I am talking about you blipping the throttle and rev matching not the car's computer doing it.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:27 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dutch08
Downshifting ....( back a few posts. ) IMHO, I think that downshifting is half the fun of driving a manual especially if you double clutch with rev match, or even just single clutch with rev match. Double clutching/rev match (if you do it right, I don't always get it perfect takes some practice) produces a wonderful shift feel and an even better sound. Also its fairly easy on the clutch and the drive line, assuming you get it right.

BTW: I am talking about you blipping the throttle and rev matching not the car's computer doing it.
So we can turn the clock back 60-70 years to before they invented synchros in vehicles, and double-clutching was mandatory for up or downshifting.

Have fun, but you'll lose a drag race doing that. If you want to win a close race, learn how to do what we used to call "board shifting," where the throttle stays "on the board" the whole time. I think most people today call it power-shifting.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever shift to neutral and coast to stop

Old 08-29-2018, 11:18 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 808_Vette
I personally like to downshift, but wouldn't it be cheaper to do a brake job rather than a clutch?
Yeah, but if you rev match the downshift like you should (either with the fancy new feature or just manually) there should be essentially no wear on the clutch. There would also be additional crank and rod bearing wear due to stresses opposite to the normal acceleration forces they are designed for, but that too doesn't seem like a big concern in the real world.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:28 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by hrt vlv
I had a friend who would coast his automatic transmission Acura downhill coasting along 60mph then when he would start to lose speed he would drop it in gear. It didn't take long to actually blow the transmission up. Clutches, gears, and all the wares were wearing more where coasting was thought to save his wares from wearing out prematurely. Where to purchase wares that wear out is costly to weary corvette owners is another subject. Wearily, Bill
I got wared out just reading that.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:45 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Alright....so inquiring minds must know. What is the preferred method for keeping speed under control while going down a nice 5-6 mile mountain grade ?......seems like the choices are catching your brakes on fire or damaging your bearings (???) due to reverse reaction. And lets not forget about blowing out that clutch and on the auto side maybe twisting the T-converter to the point of no return......please help us Mr. Wizard......

Quick Reply: Ever shift to neutral and coast to stop