C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying "clink" in drive train at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:42 PM
Somekindavetteguy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying "clink" in drive train at low speed

2012 Corvette Grand Sport, 16k miles. At low speeds there is a 'clink' sound that would seem to be similar to a half shaft or drive shaft noise. Those are usually more of a deeper "clunk", this more metallic in sound, like one would get from tapping on a pipe. I started hearing it once in a while, now it is constant as you ease on and off the gas at low speed. Anyone experience this?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:49 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 9,002 Likes on 4,334 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Could be axle nuts. I noticed this shortly after I bought the car. Replaced axle nuts ($5 ea on Amazon) and torqued them properly, haven’t heard it since (9 months).
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Probably loose axle nuts
Old 08-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

Loose axle nut(s) is quite common, symptom matches.
However rather than retorquing best to replace w/ 'new' nuts + a specific type of Loctite.
After torqued car's supposed to sit 24 hrs allowing Loctite to set.
My dealer never let it sit the recommended time, apparently preferring to get me out & my cash in their till, YMMV.

Check End Links too, make sure nuts are tight, look up the torque # & check.
C6 ELs have a tendency to work loose w/ a similar symptom, it' a common/known problem.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:29 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm much more familiar with the C4 rear suspension, so help me understand on the C6. Where are the C6 axle nuts located, how many are there, which Loctite are you supposed to use, and what's the torque value that they should be tightened to?

Is this the right P/N?

ACDelco 11514596

Thanks,
Steven
Old 08-14-2018, 09:27 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
I'm much more familiar with the C4 rear suspension, so help me understand on the C6. Where are the C6 axle nuts located, how many are there, which Loctite are you supposed to use, and what's the torque value that they should be tightened to?

Is this the right P/N?

ACDelco 11514596

A search using 'C6 axle nut torque values' turned this thread, very informative w/ an embedded link to more info
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...axle-nuts.html

There's one axle nut per rear wheel, remove tire & it's a large hex nut in center.
Members say a 34mm's needed and torqued to 160 lbs/ft.
Couldn't locate exact type of Loctite as listed in GM's bulletin, hopefully someone ho saved it will list.
Otherwise, a dealer might provide the info if a general Internet search doesn't.

Biggest PITA is the large sized socket needed, most people don't have one in their box.
Simply get a new pair of nuts (cheap) from any source stocking 'em + proper Loctite& you're golden.
This isn't a big deal or job, if it took 15 minutes something's wrong.

IF this doesn't eliminate the metallic knock next check are End Link bolts.
ELs have their own torque specs w/ IIRC no Loctite required although given how often they're reported loosening maybe they should.
BTW, some members fed-up w/ repeated loose EL went to an aftermarket set which again IIRC while not 'expensive' aren't exactly cheap, either.

Get notified of new replies

To Annoying "clink" in drive train at low speed

Quick Reply: Annoying "clink" in drive train at low speed