C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Are Grand Sport Owners Looking For Z06 Money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 02:09 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
Can anyone elaborate?
Where is this happening?
Old 08-06-2018, 02:45 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
It doesn't matter if the buyer is not interested in the attributes it offers over the GS. It doesn't change the fact that the Z06 is a superior vehicle to the GS. The Z06 has several features that make it superior to the GS even without mentioning the LS7. The Z06 had a higher price than the GS when they were new, right? Following this logic, a base model is superior to the GS if the buyer is not interested in a wide body car or a dry sump engine.
I disagree. Especially, if you crank the HP up.

The mn6 GS has proven to have rock rolid reliability and has a few parts that make it superior to the base.

Notably.

Forged crank,
Z06 differential (31 spline vs 28)
Wide body for tires
Rear battery ( not a huge deal)
dry sump
brakes

Also a steal frame seems to be preferable to drag races. Easier to weld a roll bar than the Z06 aluminum.

I love me a Z06, but the horrible reliability of the LS7 is just unacceptable. Even with the heads fixed people are still cracking blocks more easily.

For the 5k premium over the base, it would be difficult to justify not going with the GS. It's marginally slower in a straight line than a base, but makes up for it in other areas.

Last edited by MikeSVT04; 08-06-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:48 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Find a Z06 and GS with the exact same miles, year, and features (as much as possible) and I'd bet they won't be the same asking price.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 826 Likes on 593 Posts

Eh, I disagree. The Z06 is a higher end model and an all around superior vehicle so it makes sense that it would warrant a higher price. The GS won't ever cost the same as the Z06 year for year. All of this to say that a GS is still a fantastic car.
I disagree. The GS is a "all around superior vehicle".. key here is the "all around" part... What say you?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
I disagree. Especially, if you crank the HP up.

The mn6 GS has proven to have rock rolid reliability and has a few parts that make it superior to the base.

Notably.

Forged crank,
Z06 differential (31 spline vs 28)
Wide body for tires
Rear battery ( not a huge deal)
dry sump
brakes

Also a steal frame seems to be preferable to drag races. Easier to weld a roll bar than the Z06 aluminum.

I love me a Z06, but the horrible reliability of the LS7 is just unacceptable. Even with the heads fixed people are still cracking blocks more easily.

For the 5k premium over the base, it would be difficult to justify not going with the GS. It's marginally slower in a straight line than a base, but makes up for it in other areas.
You're still missing my point entirely. In no way am I saying a base is superior than a GS. A GS is clearly superior. The other poster mentioned the GS is superior to the Z06 IF the owner doesn't care about the features of the Z06. That logic is clearly flawed. Even if a potential buyer is not interested in all those upgrades on the GS, it still doesn't make the base model superior to the GS.

Originally Posted by c5arlen
I disagree. The GS is a "all around superior vehicle".. key here is the "all around" part... What say you?
What does the GS have that is superior to what is on the Z06 outside of a removable roof?

Last edited by Frankie15; 08-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 352 Likes on 189 Posts

You're still missing my point entirely. In no way am I saying a base is superior than a GS. A GS is clearly superior. The other poster mentioned the GS is superior to the Z06 IF the owner doesn't care about the features of the Z06. That logic is clearly flawed. Even if a potential buyer is not interested in all those upgrades on the GS, it still doesn't make the base model superior to the GS.

What does the GS have that is superior to what is on the Z06 outside of a removable roof?
I've known 2 guys with Z06s, both of them lived in paranoid fear that their engine was making various noises.

I'll pass on that. Even if LS7 failure is less common than some believe, I just don't need that paranoia for 60 extra wheel horsepower.

I have a forged crank dry sump bulletproof LS3 in my Grand Sport and would not trade it for a LS7. I never doubt the car. I never need to listen super closely for little tick noises from the engine worrying that it might be something bad.
AND the roof comes off.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:47 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TraceZ
I've known 2 guys with Z06s, both of them lived in paranoid fear that their engine was making various noises.

I'll pass on that. Even if LS7 failure is less common than some believe, I just don't need that paranoia for 60 extra wheel horsepower.

I have a forged crank dry sump bulletproof LS3 in my Grand Sport and would not trade it for a LS7. I never doubt the car. I never need to listen super closely for little tick noises from the engine worrying that it might be something bad.
AND the roof comes off.
This.

Although I think a stock Z06 with the original LS7 will command a premium some day. There will only be a few left.

The Z06 is superior in stock form, if the ls7 wasn't a time bomb. Unfortunately for the z, people know the issues and perfer the GS, which makes it more in demand, there for can command a competitive price to the Z. There is equal number of Z06 and GS made. At least within 1k built.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:05 PM
misery
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
maybe the condition of the car dictates it...
My comment went right over your head.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:55 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Simple answer to the OP. They aren't.

Last edited by SSWEET; 08-06-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:09 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

An engine that doesn't have a reputation of blowing up. You are going to get the original sales price difference for a Z06. They drop the same percentage but Z06 has further to drop. I bet more than a few potential Z06 owners reconsidered because of no roof, only manual and the engine issues of mostly Z06s.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

GS started in 2010.. compare from that year on, Z06 to GS and you’d be hard pressed to find a cheaper Z unless the GS owner thinks he’s got gold. I personally prefer the GS because of the looks, the top, the option of auto or manual, and if you spend your money wisely you can be in the same ball park power-wise as the Z06. Year for year though generally speaking the Z06 definitely commands higher prices than the GS.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:19 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 151 Posts

These debates define the Forum. It never ends and is remarkable. And, cool. Every time I click the C6 General Discussion link, I wonder how many new topics could possibly be listed. While there are some, to much surprise, there are always the previously discussed, beaten to the ground, topics of old. What’s amazing is the renewed response of repeated dialogue. Somehow, it all seems new, yet familiar.

For what it’s worth, Z06’s will always cost more - stock vs stock. I will always take a little Z06 where I can get it. I sold a GS not long ago that had a fully-jeweled LS7 in her bay. It fetched Z money, which it should have.

I wish it it would have been an LS9. But then again, I wouldn’t have sold it.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:00 PM
o_town_racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, I disagree. The Z06 is a higher end model and an all around superior vehicle so it makes sense that it would warrant a higher price. The GS won't ever cost the same as the Z06 year for year. All of this to say that a GS is still a fantastic car.
The main differences between the C6 GS and a Z06:

Targa top vs solid roof
LS3 vs LS7
Steel frame vs aluminum

That's about it - as far as performance tech, the GS has all that was put into the Z06. Wider body, better brakes, dry sump oil, performance suspension, etc. From the outside the only tell is the shark fins and GS badge. From the inside, badging. That's it.

So aside from 0.8 L more displacement and less weight, features are pretty much identical. It makes for a quicker Corvette, but how many owners will actually track them?

Regarding price - there have been issues with the LS7's breaking valve springs and totaling the motors. Also if the owners tracked the Z06s they would lose their value quicker than a GS garage queen. All kinds of things have to be taken into consideration.

But I do agree that for the same model year and same level of trim, a Z06 should be worth more than a GS.

Last edited by o_town_racer; 08-07-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Originally Posted by o_town_racer
The main differences between the C6 GS and a Z06:

Targa top vs solid roof
LS3 vs LS7
Steel frame vs aluminum

That's about it - as far as performance tech, the GS has all that was put into the Z06. Wider body, better brakes, dry sump oil, performance suspension, etc. From the outside the only tell is the shark fins and GS badge. From the inside, badging. That's it.

So aside from 0.8 L more displacement and less weight, features are pretty much identical. It makes for a quicker Corvette, but how many owners will actually track them?

Regarding price - there have been issues with the LS7's breaking valve springs and totaling the motors. Also if the owners tracked the Z06s they would lose their value quicker than a GS garage queen. All kinds of things have to be taken into consideration.

But I do agree that for the same model year and same level of trim, a Z06 should be worth more than a GS.
Agreed. Additionally, the GS only has about 100-150lbs on the Z06. Negligible and unnoticeable to about 95% of Vette owners.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:35 PM
wwwFLA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

And this about sums it up.

Next thread..
Old 08-07-2018, 05:45 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Originally Posted by wwwFLA
And this about sums it up.

Next thread..
Hahaha, if only that's how it worked.

Expect to see this thread pop up again in about 5 weeks.

Quick Reply: Why Are Grand Sport Owners Looking For Z06 Money?