C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 05:32 PM
verskel
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6

Okay - vote for the one 'feature' you'd really like to see in the next-generation Corvette starting with C6, C7, and so on.....
We'll treat this like a prototype where "WE" are the designers and investigate all the neat doo-dads......kinda like the Mako Shark II !!! :cheers: :cool:
Old 10-22-2002, 06:47 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (verskel)

Scissors doors would eliminate problems with getting out in tight parking situations; plus they would add a more exotic element.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:30 PM
logansowner
Le Mans Master

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (Scissors)

Scissors doors would eliminate problems with getting out in tight parking situations; plus they would add a more exotic element.
That would be cool but I am not so sure that it would be right for a Vette, but thats just my opinion :cheers:
Old 10-22-2002, 10:40 PM
CrazyMagMan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

After having seen a C3 next to a C5, it is obvious that the Corvette has gotten quite large. The C5 handles great and pulls hard, but just imagine how that 345hp would feel in a car weighing 2500-2800lbs. Love the feel of a torque monger and high horsepower lightweight! Bring on smaller and lighter. :yesnod:
Old 10-22-2002, 10:54 PM
IM4A2Z
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (CrazyMagMan)

Yea, Lighter is better! :D Gm could shave about 400-500 lbs. off the car and only bump the HP a little and Net a real boost in performance. :yesnod:
Old 10-23-2002, 08:18 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6

After having seen a C3 next to a C5, it is obvious that the Corvette has gotten quite large. The C5 handles great and pulls hard, but just imagine how that 345hp would feel in a car weighing 2500-2800lbs.
Larger only means heavier if the frame weighs more, which I'm pretty sure is not the case. The C5 weighs more mainly due to accessories and safety features. Most of the C5's increased size is empty air to give us more room inside, which doesn't weight much at all.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

We have to get a 500 hp engine just to compete with the other supercars out there. From there, skies the limit!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:43 AM
YellaFella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (Scissors)

I thought the C3 and C5 weighed about the same????
Old 10-23-2002, 06:00 PM
Sal Collaziano
Burning Brakes

I was going to add an option for a Continuum Transfunctioner but I went with making the car lighter instead...
Old 10-24-2002, 07:02 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (Sal Collaziano)

I was going to add an option for a Continuum Transfunctioner but I went with making the car lighter instead...
How about a Flux Capacitor??
Old 10-24-2002, 10:15 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (AP)

How about a Flux Capacitor??
Alluvial Damper? (needs a size 3 HYDRO spanner.) :rolleyes:
Old 10-25-2002, 02:44 AM
texnteg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (CrazyMagMan)

After having seen a C3 next to a C5, it is obvious that the Corvette has gotten quite large. The C5 handles great and pulls hard, but just imagine how that 345hp would feel in a car weighing 2500-2800lbs. Love the feel of a torque monger and high horsepower lightweight! Bring on smaller and lighter. :yesnod:

ooh, i like that. packaging, size and weight of my integra with a V8, rwd and excellent suspension. yeah, that would be sweet. :cool:
Old 10-25-2002, 11:11 AM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (texnteg)

"ooh, i like that. packaging, size and weight of my integra with a V8, rwd and excellent suspension. yeah, that would be sweet."

One needs but to read "All Corvettes Are Red" to see what the C5 went thru to keep its weight down versus the Federal safety standards. These same standards are to get worse in 2005. Obviously the Vette has to be designed for those standards. We just aren't going to see a 2800 lb C6 as much as you or I would like it. For example, what does the new Nissan Z350 weigh? Something like 3400 I believe. I guess the next question should be what does the S2000 weigh? :chevy
Old 10-25-2002, 02:09 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (Curtis A. Franz)

Curtis, there are plenty of ways they could save weight on the C6. Just find my thread on potential weight savings. And the truth of the matter is that the federal crash standards are not the biggest factor when it comes to weight. From what I've read (Including all corvettes are red) the biggest difficulty is making a structure that's strong enough to handle the immense forces generated by sports car type performance, without having that structure weigh two tons. If you want more info on it, look up SP-1282 from the SAE. Full of good info.

As for the people voting...WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU ALL? Who chooses a heavy big block with 500 hp (which wouldn't fit anyway....BIG BLOCKS DON'T FIT) over a Camless multivalve engine with 600 HP. The second engine has more power! And probably a lot more torque. Yeah, we all know it's theoretical, but it has a better chance of seeing production than a true bigblock vette does. So who in their right mind would vote for a big block???

Scott
Old 10-25-2002, 03:57 PM
texnteg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (LymanSS)

because some people feel a big block would be simplier to work on then a camless multi-valve motor. plus, then they will have vette big-block crate motors available to stuff in a C3. i don't know, i probably shouldn't be answering this since i didn't vote for it. i said lighter package.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:15 AM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (texnteg)

Well the technophobia ("Halp..I aint gunna be aybul to werk on it bah mahself!") is a valid concern. But we can't build cars out of legos just keep them accessible to those who don't want to learn about auto-mechanics. :)

Scott
Old 10-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Light84vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (LymanSS)

Curtis, there are plenty of ways they could save weight on the C6. Just find my thread on potential weight savings. And the truth of the matter is that the federal crash standards are not the biggest factor when it comes to weight. From what I've read (Including all corvettes are red) the biggest difficulty is making a structure that's strong enough to handle the immense forces generated by sports car type performance, without having that structure weigh two tons. If you want more info on it, look up SP-1282 from the SAE. Full of good info.

As for the people voting...WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU ALL? Who chooses a heavy big block with 500 hp (which wouldn't fit anyway....BIG BLOCKS DON'T FIT) over a Camless multivalve engine with 600 HP. The second engine has more power! And probably a lot more torque. Yeah, we all know it's theoretical, but it has a better chance of seeing production than a true bigblock vette does. So who in their right mind would vote for a big block???

Scott
BIG BLOCK packs way much more torque than a small block ever will, ask anyone who knows. Big Blocks have way more potential than small block how the hell are you going to say that not that. Plus you could get a aluminum big block which would only be 50-100lbs more than a small block. The big block is not that much bigger than a small block check the specs. And how do you know if a big block can fit into the new C6 if you never measured it and saw the complete specs. Your a ding dong
:cuss :cuss :cuss :yesnod: :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6

Old 10-27-2002, 01:28 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (Light84vette)

Actually, I've NEVER been Big Block fan. The C6 may be smaller than the C5. OK, I can deal with that. Consider this:

Engine ::
90° V8 Bore & stroke 85x79 mm 3.34x3.11in.
Unit displacement 448.2 cc 27.36 cu. in.
Displacement 3,586 cc 218.84 cu. in.
Maximum power 294 kW (400 bhp) @ 8,500 rpm
Maximum torque 373 Nm (275.6 lbs/ft) @ 4,750 rpm

Performance ::
Maximum speed over 290 km/h 180 mph
0-62 mph 4.5 s
0-400 m 12.7 s <--------approx. 1/4 mile
0-1,000 m 23.1 s

Dimensions ::
Overall length 4,477 mm-176.3 in.
Overall width 1,922 mm-75.7 in.
Height 1,235 mm-48.6 in.
Wheelbase 2,600 mm-102.3 in.
Front track 1,669 mm-65.7 in.
Rear track 1,617 mm-63.6 in.
Weight 1,350 kg-2,976 lbs
Curb weight 1,450 kg-3,197 lbs
Weight distribution 42/58% front/rear
Fuel capacity 95 litres 21 gallons (25.1 US gal)

Compared to even the small block, would the above not work? :confused: WHY?
Old 10-27-2002, 04:14 PM
texnteg
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (FASGLAS)

not enough torque, bump the displacement up. did you do calculations to come up with the numbers? that would be a long-distance car with 25 gal tank. you still would want it under 3000 lbs, where your at is almost the same as a Z06. good weight balance though.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:37 PM
LymanSS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6 (Light84vette)

Light 84, calm down. First off, the big block is cool. We all know that. But you really need to pay attention to a couple of facts when considering it's use. First off, we can get similar displacement out of an LS engine. We all know that 427 cubes is possible with an LS1. As a big block fan, you've probably seen the comparisons between small block and big block chevy engines of approximately the same displacement. A few magazines have done buildups that compare them. The big block almost always wins. This is attributable to a couple of factors. First, the big block has better internal dimensions, allowing for better rod to stroke and bore to stroke ratios at a given displacement. Second, the big block has better head geometry and design. this is because it was designed ten years after the small block was designed. So in most scenarios it'll make more power for a given displacement. Now we look at the LS engines. They came out 32 years after the bigblocks did. The general design is better (deep skirt, designed to be cast in aluminum, similar displacement but in the size of a small block) and the valvetrain and head design has received more computer work than one can shake a stick at. It's a better engine. There's no denying it. At a given displacement, it will almost inevitably blow the big block out of the water. Add to that the above mentioned idea of a camless valvetrain, and you've got an engine that could essentially have any cam profile at any RPM. You could make sick torque, and still have power that screams up to 10,000 RPM. Yeah, we all know that big blocks made great torque, but we need to get over the myth that new engines (even smaller ones) will never make the sort of torque that big blocks made. Modern engines will surpass the legendary big blocks. We're talking about similar displacement in a smaller package with better head design, and a completely variable valvetrain. It will make more power and more torque all the way from idle to redline. And it'll be smaller and lighter. If consider all of that and you still want a bigblock then you are quite simply wrong. There's a place for big blocks. It's in C3's and C2's. They need to be there, becase it's a huge part of what made those cars cool. But in modern cars, they won't fit (It won't fit the C5, and the C6 is supposed to be smaller, so that's how we know) and it almost definitely won't be able to acheive the desired performance results (think weight, brake specific fuel consumption, emissions (because of the progressive design approach, we can assume the C6 must be an LEV) and packaging). It will not be used, and that's a good thing. We might see a 427, and some people stuck in the past will mistake it for a big block, just as happens with the 427 in holden's concept car. But that doesn't matter, because it won't be a big block, but it'll perform like one, and they won't know the difference.

Scott

[Modified by LymanSS, 4:38 PM 10/27/2002]

Quick Reply: The "future" of Corvette - starting with C6