C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouch, now I need a new tire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 05:57 AM
keithd
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ouch, now I need a new tire!

So I was going around a slow-speed S-curve just outside the base today, and at the exit I hear a BANG-whack-whack-whack-whack and the "low pressure" warning for the driver rear tire comes on. I stop and look, but I didn't see anything. Drove to a small parking lot hearing that whack-whack-whack sound and stopped.

When I parked, THIS is what I see:

OK, so how bad is it? I ask myself.
So I call the wife and ask her to bring me my slip-joint pliers. I start pulling and twisting, and after about 2 minutes I get this far:

And once I get it out, it's the biggest bolt I've seen stuck in a tire before:

It's about 6" long.

And this happens just before I'm about to ship my Vette back to the USA next week. I don't think it can be patched, but I'm going to ask the local tire store (KSC Reifen). I'm not hopeful that they can get a Bridgestone run-flat in on time, and I'm considering replacing it with a non-run-flat just so I can get it on the boat to send it home. I was also thinking of just shipping it with the tire like it is and getting new tires in the US.

Man, ain't Murphy's Law a pain.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:42 AM
ART T
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by keithd
So I was going around a slow-speed S-curve just outside the base today, and at the exit I hear a BANG-whack-whack-whack-whack and the "low pressure" warning for the driver rear tire comes on. I stop and look, but I didn't see anything. Drove to a small parking lot hearing that whack-whack-whack sound and stopped.

When I parked, THIS is what I see:

OK, so how bad is it? I ask myself.
So I call the wife and ask her to bring me my slip-joint pliers. I start pulling and twisting, and after about 2 minutes I get this far:

And once I get it out, it's the biggest bolt I've seen stuck in a tire before:

It's about 6" long.

And this happens just before I'm about to ship my Vette back to the USA next week. I don't think it can be patched, but I'm going to ask the local tire store (KSC Reifen). I'm not hopeful that they can get a Bridgestone run-flat in on time, and I'm considering replacing it with a non-run-flat just so I can get it on the boat to send it home. I was also thinking of just shipping it with the tire like it is and getting new tires in the US.

Man, ain't Murphy's Law a pain.
That can be repaired, it isn't in the sidewall.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd try plugging it.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:26 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,697 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Have a patch plug put in it, get it back to the US, then decide whether you want to drive on the patched tire. It looks like a fairly large hole in the tire and I would be concerned about water intrusion damaging steel cords over the long haul. Not to mention I probably wouldn't want to take a sustained high speed run on it.
The following users liked this post:
keithd (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 804 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

That hole looks like a sewer.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:14 AM
keithd
Intermediate

Well, the tire shop said they can't repair it themselves, and the on-base folks won't even try. Now to try to find a plug kit!

The tire shop could get a Michelin SS tire in, but German law doesn't allow mixing of run-flats and non-run-flats. And Bridgestone RE050A tires aren't even available in Europe.

edit - do ya'll think a can of Fix-A-Flat could get me by? I know tire shops hate the stuff, but I need a temporary patch and I don't have a lot of time.

Last edited by keithd; 06-28-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 AM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Well, the tire shop said they can't repair it themselves, and the on-base folks won't even try. Now to try to find a plug kit!

The tire shop could get a Michelin SS tire in, but German law doesn't allow mixing of run-flats and non-run-flats. And Bridgestone RE050A tires aren't even available in Europe.

edit - do ya'll think a can of Fix-A-Flat could get me by? I know tire shops hate the stuff, but I need a temporary patch and I don't have a lot of time.
That's a pretty big hole for Fix-A-Flat to plug so I doubt it will work. How far do you have to drive the car to to get it on the boat back to the US? If not that far I would just leave the tire alone and take care of it when you get back to US.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I wouldn't use that crap, I would see if someone has a plug kit, or try to buy a plug kit.
If you are plugging your tire, inflate to the max, before installing the plug, good luck.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:33 AM
keithd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
That's a pretty big hole for Fix-A-Flat to plug so I doubt it will work. How far do you have to drive the car to to get it on the boat back to the US? If not that far I would just leave the tire alone and take care of it when you get back to US.
I don't have to drive it far as it's being trucked to the port, but the shipping company said they will take no responsibility if there's any damage - not sure how accurate that is.

BTW - thanks everyone for inputs/suggestions.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:13 AM
keithd
Intermediate

Default Yeah!!

I FIXED IT!

Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but I finally found a patch kit after looking all over the place. I got one of those kits that have the black gummy worm things. I used 2 strings as the hole was not small, and it's holding pressure.

I know that it's not going to be balanced at all and fast driving is a no-go, but it's good enough to get my car shipped out. I will get a new tire or a proper patch done when I get Stateside.
Jstan2014 (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,470 Likes on 792 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Good news. What branch of service are you in and where will you be going once stateside?
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 PM
keithd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Good news. What branch of service are you in and where will you be going once stateside?
US Air Force, and I'll be going to Offutt AFB, Nebraska. Close to Omaha. So basically the same exact weather as here in Germany!
jh61408 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 12:20 PM
Yokesc5
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Be sure to use the red rope plugs, the black cant take heat, it will get you where you are going meanwhile. The tire stores here in the states wont touch anything outside of the last thread line, last plug was done at the door of the tire store, at least they would put the air in.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:01 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,470 Likes on 792 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

US Air Force, and I'll be going to Offutt AFB, Nebraska. Close to Omaha. So basically the same exact weather as here in Germany!
I spent 1981 thru 1986 at a radar site in Hastings, NE. Offutt was our support base but 3 hours away. Don't miss the snow or the wind. I bought my first Vette in NE. 1982 Collector Edition.

USAF 1981-2002
keithd (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:26 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I obviously failed physics, but how does a bolt that long work its way in? Your luck is as bad as mine!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:04 PM
keithd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
I obviously failed physics, but how does a bolt that long work its way in? Your luck is as bad as mine!
In my guestimation - I was cornering hard, and my front tire clipped the bolt head. The bolt tumbled, and most unfortunately the rear tire rolled over it when it was just a few degrees forward more than perpendicular. It embedded itself in a way that any forward movement only made things worse.

The BANG was the initial bolt tearing into the tire with it nearly perfectly perpendicular - hence the noise. The whack-whack-whack-whack was the result of the bolt being angled unfavorably towards the forward rotation, driving the tip of the bolt against the wheel. When I drove in reverse, it was silent. I am thinking that once I get the tire off, the inside of the wheel will be a bit chewed up.

It was just a bit of extreme unluck. I've done that corner dozens of times in the exact same path. Just a few feet ahead of me a car took a really lazy path, I stayed in the paint lines so I could corner a little harder. Maybe if I followed the lazy path I wouldn't have noticed anything.

But the patch has held with zero air loss for the last six hours, so I will call that a win as with the game of Belgium vs England!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:17 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Long time ago I was driving my truck that had 35” all terrains on it. Somehow managed to run over a razor blade that then stood up on edge and made a 2” slice in between the treads on the tire. Could actually hear the air escaping over the diesel engine. So a long bolt through a tire is nothing crazy. Just bad luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Ouch, now I need a new tire!

Old 06-28-2018, 06:10 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

I FIXED IT!

Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but I finally found a patch kit after looking all over the place. I got one of those kits that have the black gummy worm things. I used 2 strings as the hole was not small, and it's holding pressure.

I know that it's not going to be balanced at all and fast driving is a no-go, but it's good enough to get my car shipped out. I will get a new tire or a proper patch done when I get Stateside.
Good for you. I have NO experience with small tires, but with large truck type tires a puncture near the edges of belts can cause a lot of problems. I'd get a new tire as soon as possible when you get stateside.

Last edited by Dutch08; 06-28-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:11 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 PM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 76 Posts

Fix o flat can hurt your aluminum rims also for staying in longer than a few days

Quick Reply: Ouch, now I need a new tire!