C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morimoto C7-Style XB-2 LED Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA
I don't know if he's necessarily gouging people. People are asking for him to build the harness, actually begging him. At this point, the harness is more of a convenience than anything. The lights work 'as advertised' as long as you flick the switch on the stalk. That's all people are complaining about. If you want the luxury of not having to hit one switch then I think it should cost you, and right now the cost is $250. Isn't capitalism great!!!
Eh, to be fair it also disables the "L" shaped light when turn signals are applied and allows flash to pass to work when your headlights are off. It's more than just paying $250 to "flick the switch for you". There's nothing you can do manually to match that functionality (without a harness or modification to the headlights of course).

Last edited by Frankie15; 08-14-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:55 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15
Eh, to be fair it also disables the "L" shaped light when turn signals are applied and allows flash to pass to work when your headlights are off. It's more than just paying $250 to "flick the switch for you". There's nothing you can do manually to match that functionality (without a harness or modification to the headlights of course).
That's right! So it actually is a modification. Well then even more reason to justify the $250, to some extent.

I read everything on the Morimoto site before I ordered. They never promised that the units would be identical to the C7 in functionality. In fact, I think folks on here injected their own version of reality into their reasoning for ordering based on the excitement and based on the cheerleading that was going on by the vendors. The phrase 'plug and play' was repeated over and over again, and was included in the Morimoto description, so it's not too far fetched for buyers to make the leap and think that that meant their units would work identical to the C7, and there were a few here that did specifically ask about the C7 functionality and they were repeatedly assured that it would be just like it.

From that perspective I guess some are right to feel a little misled and perhaps the vendors should consider some sort of way to meet in the middle. If Morimoto makes some sort of factory fix then maybe they should provide that at no cost, or minimal cost, to those who already purchased. However, until something like that happens, the vendor who took it upon himself to custom build the harness that fixes everything is more than justified in charging $250.

Personally, I'm happy with the product as is. I don't even care that I have to flick anything (I was already flicking the fogs on at start to dim the amber DRLs) and that the L doesn't completely go out with the turn signal. If the harness drops in price then maybe.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Alanlogsdon87
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if he's necessarily gouging people. People are asking for him to build the harness, actually begging him. At this point, the harness is more of a convenience than anything. The lights work 'as advertised' as long as you flick the switch on the stalk. That's all people are complaining about. If you want the luxury of not having to hit one switch then I think it should cost you, and right now the cost is $250. Isn't capitalism great!!!
Oh I am about as capitalist as they come, believe you and me, but you can still gouge people under capitalism. As of now he is the only supplier so the demand is high, so he can charge pretty much whatever he wants. But, if you go and look at his thread you see that originally he wanted to use it as a selling point for him, which I can also understand, but when he saw the demand he switched and started offering. I looked at every harness he has available on his site and the most expensive one is about 80 bucks, I can’t really see why this should be over 200% more other than he is gouging. It is absolutely his right to do so, it’s his product and I do want one, but for that money I too will flick the switch.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

That's right! So it actually is a modification. Well then even more reason to justify the $250, to some extent.

I read everything on the Morimoto site before I ordered. They never promised that the units would be identical to the C7 in functionality. In fact, I think folks on here injected their own version of reality into their reasoning for ordering based on the excitement and based on the cheerleading that was going on by the vendors. The phrase 'plug and play' was repeated over and over again, and was included in the Morimoto description, so it's not too far fetched for buyers to make the leap and think that that meant their units would work identical to the C7, and there were a few here that did specifically ask about the C7 functionality and they were repeatedly assured that it would be just like it.

From that perspective I guess some are right to feel a little misled and perhaps the vendors should consider some sort of way to meet in the middle. If Morimoto makes some sort of factory fix then maybe they should provide that at no cost, or minimal cost, to those who already purchased. However, until something like that happens, the vendor who took it upon himself to custom build the harness that fixes everything is more than justified in charging $250.

Personally, I'm happy with the product as is. I don't even care that I have to flick anything (I was already flicking the fogs on at start to dim the amber DRLs) and that the L doesn't completely go out with the turn signal. If the harness drops in price then maybe.
Flash to pass with headlights off is definitely something that should have worked out of the box. I do agree the other changes are nice modifications.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:16 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Received 537 Likes on 378 Posts

Just a quick update, the headlight manufacturer is indeed investigating a harness of their own. I don't anticipate the cost to be anywhere near $250 but cannot confirm anything as of right now. Will advise more regarding this as soon as I know it.

Cole Manzelli
Cole@Vette-Lights.com
(405) 209-5328

Vette-Lights.com
"FORUM10" - 10% Off Almost All Upgrades

Old 08-14-2018, 02:02 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I work in tech, when buying brand new tech, you are going to be by definition an "earlier adapter", and you have to expect these types of things.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:43 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a trick to getting no gap after installing these headlights? I can't seem to get them center let alone without gap
Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Vette79C3
Is there a trick to getting no gap after installing these headlights? I can't seem to get them center let alone without gap
Pulling them all the way forward seems to give the best figment amongst many of the installed sets.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:53 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLights
Pulling them all the way forward seems to give the best figment amongst many of the installed sets.
I will give it a try tomorrow evening. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Just a quick update, the headlight manufacturer is indeed investigating a harness of their own. I don't anticipate the cost to be anywhere near $250 but cannot confirm anything as of right now. Will advise more regarding this as soon as I know it.
I would really appreciate you keeping us updated on this. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:13 AM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

When are the taillights going to be available? Are they included in the current boat shipment ?
Originally Posted by Matthewstorm

I would really appreciate you keeping us updated on this. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:39 AM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by GS057
When are the taillights going to be available? Are they included in the current boat shipment ?
Towards the end of this month is what I'm told. Yes, they are currently on the same boat shipment from the manufacturer.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Would adding this supplemental harness require removal and re-installation of the assemblies? I just invested in 4.7 standard labor hours at my dealership having the original pods removed and replaced with my new Morimotos. I would be very reluctant to repeat that no matter how cheap a new harness might be.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:00 PM
pdc001
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I wouldn't think so. I just loosen the fender liner that meets the front bumper and you can see both the female an male connector of the harness there.
The following users liked this post:
Eritosthenes (08-16-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:12 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
Would adding this supplemental harness require removal and re-installation of the assemblies? I just invested in 4.7 standard labor hours at my dealership having the original pods removed and replaced with my new Morimotos. I would be very reluctant to repeat that no matter how cheap a new harness might be.
Originally Posted by pdc001
I wouldn't think so. I just loosen the fender liner that meets the front bumper and you can see both the female an male connector of the harness there.
It would easily be plugged right in between the factory connector and headlight connector from the inner fender (just a few push pins and/or torx screws away).
Eritosthenes (08-16-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 03:57 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 08-20-2018, 11:34 PM
pdc001
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I did some fine tuning to get the cut off's to match. The passenger side I had to go buy some washers to make the headlight level with the driver. Originally the passenger side was lower and when I would adjust the height it would make the cut off on the right side seem brighter if you were standing in front of it. Minor thing but OCD kicked in and it bugged me so here's what it looks like as of now after some adjusting.

Get notified of new replies

To Morimoto C7-Style XB-2 LED Headlights

Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Preorder pricing is still going due to limited availability and slight lead times before shipping.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:32 PM
GS Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1wolf
so if I rotate the stalk, every single time I drive the car, the White L (hockey stick) will be on 100% and no other lights while driving.
Yes ^^^^
Old 08-22-2018, 06:22 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,737 Likes on 876 Posts

I’m happy!
jdvann (08-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Morimoto C7-Style XB-2 LED Headlights