C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS relearn issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:06 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Do you think a non-Dorman might also program it? The guy at the big store said that they are all basically the same (he even mentioned Schrader).
They all do the exact same thing, just diff manufacturers
Old 06-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Plan C
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you think a non-Dorman might also program it? The guy at the big store said that they are all basically the same (he even mentioned Schrader).
I am clearly not a TPMS expert, and I don't want to send you down the wrong path but I believe that the sensor you ordered from Amazon is the Dorman multi-fit model which requires use of the Dorman Multi Fit programming tool. Doorman also sells a direct-fit sensor which can be programmed by a wide variety of common TPMS sensor service tools. Schrader also sells it cloneable sensor, but the one I mentioned earlier is a OEM version specifically for your 05 to 07 corvette. It is a direct replacement for your original sensor and simply needs to be re-learned as opposed to programmed. The clones will work if you can match them up with the right programming tool. I looked into buying these tools about a year ago and decided that it was simply too expensive for the limited amount of use I would get from them.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Plan C
I am clearly not a TPMS expert, and I don't want to send you down the wrong path but I believe that the sensor you ordered from Amazon is the Dorman multi-fit model which requires use of the Dorman Multi Fit programming tool. Doorman also sells a direct-fit sensor which can be programmed by a wide variety of common TPMS sensor service tools. Schrader also sells it cloneable sensor, but the one I mentioned earlier is a OEM version specifically for your 05 to 07 corvette. It is a direct replacement for your original sensor and simply needs to be re-learned as opposed to programmed. The clones will work if you can match them up with the right programming tool. I looked into buying these tools about a year ago and decided that it was simply too expensive for the limited amount of use I would get from them.

I agree PlanC. I had the 6 months my car was in winter storage to plan and source the replacement of my 11 year old sensors. I read a lot of forum quotes on the topic as well as all the information that I could find and decided the best plan was to get Original Equipment Supplied part. I was also tipped off to the possibility of lots of old stock sensors still out there being sold over the counter parts so you could be investing in a new part that has already used up 1/2 of its usable service life. I've read instances of people buying new sensors and having to replace them again within a year.

Using OEM sensors with a recent manufacture date made for a seamless relearn procedure. I purchased the tool from eBay for about $25 and it worked perfectly.

Last edited by Icecap; 06-11-2018 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Plan C (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:47 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

So I found a shop that has the Dorman programming tool but he tried and told me the sensor is "dead." Amazon is sending me a replacement but I will be out the labour as it could have easily been swapped at no charge when I replaced my tires.

I am not even holding my breath that the replacement is going to work. The ones at the dealer here are about $140.

Amazon has an AC Delco listed for $74 - does anybody know if should have any issues with this one?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1
Give the dealer your vin and ask what the AC Delco part # is for the unit that fits your car. Check that it's the same as the one on Amazon. Amazon has a pretty good return policy, so if you elect to go with the Amazon unit (because it's the same part #), then you can probably get your money back for the programmable one. The $140 from the dealer compared to $74 from Amazon sounds about right. In my case it was $98 compared to $50 for the identical part. I wouldn't use the programmable sensor at all. Keep them all the same so that only 1 relearn tool is needed. If you do get the Amazon unit, check the date code on it before you install it. Don't accept a unit that's more than 2 years old.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Give the dealer your vin and ask what the AC Delco part # is for the unit that fits your car. Check that it's the same as the one on Amazon. Amazon has a pretty good return policy, so if you elect to go with the Amazon unit (because it's the same part #), then you can probably get your money back for the programmable one. The $140 from the dealer compared to $74 from Amazon sounds about right. In my case it was $98 compared to $50 for the identical part. I wouldn't use the programmable sensor at all. Keep them all the same so that only 1 relearn tool is needed. If you do get the Amazon unit, check the date code on it before you install it. Don't accept a unit that's more than 2 years old.

When I looked into this topic FW I made an inquiry with a large tire store and dealer my company dealt with frequently. I asked them for a quote for the OEM Schrader sensors, no substitutes. Kal Tire quoted me $75 CDN each from their supplier which is still a lot cheaper than dealer. The ones I purchased cost $55 CDN with the exchange and were only 18 months from manufacture. The vendor took Pay Pal and I ducked across the border on one of my frequent trips to pick them up, they were duty and GST free.

These are the ones that were supplied from 2005-2009 the Schrader number was 20076 and you can see 2 GM part numbers for the same sensor.

http://www.tpms.com/20076_Schrader_T..._T_p/20076.htm

Last edited by Icecap; 06-12-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by saplumr
They all do the exact same thing, just diff manufacturers
Originally Posted by Plan C
Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Originally Posted by Icecap
When I looked into this topic FW I made an inquiry with a large tire store and dealer my company dealt with frequently. I asked them for a quote for the OEM Schrader sensors, no substitutes. Kal Tire quoted me $75 CDN each from their supplier which is still a lot cheaper than dealer. The ones I purchased cost $55 CDN with the exchange and were only 18 months from manufacture. The vendor took Pay Pal and I ducked across the border on one of my frequent trips to pick them up, they were duty and GST free.

These are the ones that were supplied from 2005-2009 the Schrader number was 20076 and you can see 2 GM part numbers for the same sensor.

http://www.tpms.com/20076_Schrader_T..._T_p/20076.htm
Old 06-12-2018, 04:00 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just put these in my 2008. Two minutes to program with the orange tool pictured earlier.
2005-2009 C6 Corvette Genuine GM TPMS #25758220
Even though they are AC Delco they have a Schrader stamp on them.

Last edited by ALS 08; 06-12-2018 at 04:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ALS 08:
Icecap (06-12-2018), Plan C (06-12-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Default Final update

I am documenting what I ended up doing to resolve the issue today in case another member can benefit in the future:

The original sensor Amazon sent me was most likely DOA, the replacement they sent me could not be programmed by another brand's programming tool.

So the tire shop I went to programmed another aftermarket sensor and relearned it prior to installing. All worked so they broke the bead and installed - took less than 15 minutes total and total bill out the door $65 (Canadian so that is like USD 2 ).

I could not wait to order from the website Icecap provided as I cannot be driving a car with runflats and no operational tpms.

If I had to do it over again I would order from the website Icecap provided and have it shipped to a friend in the US for pickup. The dealer's (discounted) price here is $81 plus tax.
The following users liked this post:
Plan C (06-14-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:22 PM
lwise4
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for this. I had my sensors replaced and the tire store could not get them programed. I ordered a OEC-T5 EL-50448 and still could not get it to work. The manual does not mention holding the lock and unlock down on the FOB. The tool instructions do not tell you to hold the tool top against the sidewall by the sensor. The Service Manual assumes that you are using a scan tool.

In any case, watching your video and it worked!!

PS; If you have the garage door opener option in your sunvisor, it will also have to be reprogrammed!

Last edited by lwise4; 10-31-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add verbage

Quick Reply: TPMS relearn issue