C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:40 PM
rmbiderman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Driving

I have a low mileage 2008 C6 convertible (LT3) Z51, stick shift, with after market upgrades. My circumstances have changed and I can no longer keep it garaged for the winter (in NY).

If I keep it, I will need to keep it outdoors and drive it in the winter. Is this practical and safe or should I sell it?
Old 05-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Sell it,
Winters are too brutal in NY to drive the car much in the winter, much less leave it sitting out in the winter climate to let the elements have their way with the car (will kill the resale value of the car in a season or two).

Once your living arrangements have changed, do have a indoor place to store a summer type driving only car for the area during the winters, then you can entertain picking up an additional extra fun car isntead.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:11 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Parking a convertible outside in the winter will be a pain. In addition to the resale aspect mentioned above. I daily drove a S2000 convertible in MN year round however it was garaged. Winter tires will be a must too , so your cost will go up. And storage for the other set. By a pain I mean if you get a large snowfall, need to keep sweeping off the snow as it accumulates so it doesn't over weight the top.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

A guy that lives in my town drives his z06 year round. Throws 4 snow tires on it and he's never had an issue... Recommended, not a chance but can it be done yes. He's been doing this for over 10 years so has experience.

If you have a second car there are plenty of car storage places that you could put your car for winter.

I'm in NY and if I didn't have a second car, I would sell my corvette and get something AWD. Like others said, winters in NY can be brutal and a corvette isn't the best daily driver for snowy conditions.

I also worry about the effect the snow & ice would have on the convertible top not being garaged.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:22 AM
BobNJ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell it for sure ----

I live in NJ, and winters are brutal for NJ/NJ/area states. With the amount of snow we can get. In addition to the ice/salt --- not pretty for a Corvette.

Corvettes are much lower to the ground than your average car, that and snow will not make a good match.

Slippery roads, the chance of a vehicle sliding out of control and into that fiber glass body, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand right up. And I see a number of fender benders, cars go out of control.

My strong opinion, and that of my fellow Corvette people in NJ are ---- they need a garage in the winter, snow comes, they are off the road. We all have "garage queens".

Once your living conditions change, you have a garage, get another.

Bob
Old 05-19-2018, 08:34 AM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I drive a 2008 C6 coupe all year in SE Michigan (and have since 2011) w/o issues. I have 4 winter tires mounted on factory painted wheels and shortened the front rubber air dam by about 2 inches so it doesn't plow snow when I'm out before the real plows. I also have a 2009 vert that I keep in the garage for "convertible weather". Unlike the prevailing opinions on CF, I don't want to spend half of the year driving a car that I don't enjoy. I can't comment on the convertible top and snow/ice/salt, but can only note that other convertibles seem to survive those conditions w/o the tops shredding.
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 AM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

We have a guy in town that used to drive his C6 convertible year round and winters in IL can be pretty bad. He just had winter tires on stick rims and changed them out. He bought it brand new, he now daily’s a Bentley Continental GT.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:54 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Corvette itself actually does good in winter driving with a proper set of tires because of its 50/50 weight balance. A lot of FWD vehicles have most of the weight above the front wheels so the back doesn't have any traction.

The problem with the Vette is ground clearance and hidden potholes. I wouldn't park it outside and eventually you will get the cold start piston slap if you don't have it already.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 PM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Use to live in upstate NY and the winter can be rough on man and car. As much as I love my Corvette it would not be my vehicle of choice for NY winter driving. You can dress the Corvette up with snow tires (good grief) but it is still a summer car. Smarter move is to sell the Corvette and buy a 4WD truck or Jeep.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:42 PM
rmbiderman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Use to live in upstate NY and the winter can be rough on man and car. As much as I love my Corvette it would not be my vehicle of choice for NY winter driving. You can dress the Corvette up with snow tires (good grief) but it is still a summer car. Smarter move is to sell the Corvette and buy a 4WD truck or Jeep.
Thanks for your advice. I love the car, but it is not practical or safe to drive it through the winter and leave it parked outside. Currently I leave it in my garage for winters with a car cover and battery tender. I am moving and can no longer do that, so I will reluctantly have to sell the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Driving

Quick Reply: Winter Driving