C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Top VS Rag Top Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Targa vs Vert

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I really enjoy the targa top. I can turn on the seat heaters and roll the windows up and enjoy it even on a 45 degree sunny day. I can talk to speeds up to about 50 comfortably. It looks great. It's also a real life saver if a car rolls, which can happen easier than you think if you get tires off the road.

Even though I'm a reasonably strong man, it takes a little effort to remove and reinstall while being careful not to scratch anything. I think this is why convertibles have the 'women' reputation cause a woman would be almost required to have a push button convertible.

I'd consider myself highly sensitive to buffeting noises, and have not noticed that at all in my C6. And I've done all day driving trips with the roof off at many different speeds including the 3 digit kind. My car is a NB, I also have a WC hood. I wonder if these differences account for any differences in buffeting?

The biggest issue I have, and if anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it, is that the roof off essentially takes up the entire storage area. I dream of a road trip with the top is off but them wouldn't know where to put the luggage. Suggestions?

To me the perfect Vette would be a motorized targa top.

Another great options would be is someone offered a fold-able canvas top for the C6. Something lightweight that could be thrown on in a pinch, and carried in the car while taking up minimal space. I think Porsche 918s back in the day had something like this. Even if it has a max speed rating just something you could protect your car from rain with and cover it up for the evening would be really helpful while not giving up hardly any storage space.

I only like my roof off when it's below 80 degrees however, and warmer than that and it's miserable unless it's nighttime.
That is why they offer a convertible ! Top down and still have storage.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:13 AM
rudutch
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a '96 firebird with T-tops and now have a 6C convertible.
The firebird was like a tornado over 45, it was a hurricane at 80
Even though they were dark tinted, the AC has all it could do to keep up on a hot sunny day

The C6 is rather calm at 55, can get turbulent at 80, depending on conditions

I much prefer the convertible
YRMV
Old 05-18-2018, 01:35 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rudutch
I had a '96 firebird with T-tops and now have a 6C convertible.
The firebird was like a tornado over 45, it was a hurricane at 80
Even though they were dark tinted, the AC has all it could do to keep up on a hot sunny day

The C6 is rather calm at 55, can get turbulent at 80, depending on conditions

I much prefer the convertible
YRMV
I remember feeling like I was getting the sh*t beat out of me when doing 110 mph in my C3 with the tops off and windows down! Not a pleasant feeling, yanno!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:31 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
I remember feeling like I was getting the sh*t beat out of me when doing 110 mph in my C3 with the tops off and windows down! Not a pleasant feeling, yanno!
FWIW, I read that the windshield top beam has been engineered to cut down on wind noise. It may have been the owners manual. But I've been to 130 top down with no problem.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 PM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I think you really need to drive them both, it depends on what you want. I'm a dedicated coupe guy. Got my first 'vette 2 months ago and its a C6 Z06 so a fixed roof - and I love it. A Z is the model I wanted and frankly for me the top configuration is best for me anyway.
However... I have convertible experience... the past 11 years I owned a S2000, only available as a convertible. I loved it too, and was my year round daily driver for 7 of those years - in MN including winter. Would have gotten a coupe if offered. I did drop the top time to time in spring or fall when temperatures were comfortable. Actually the wind didn't bother me too much, and I didn't dislike top down driving. Just had to be in the mood.
When time came this year to replace the S two coupes were on my list, a C6 vette or Cayman S. Didn't want a Boxster.
Bottom line it is all up to personal preference. One isn't better than the other, no hate, some prefer coupe some prefer convertibles. All are cool!!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:43 PM
slowtraffickeepright
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is such a subjective topic that experiencing both is a must in the OP's case.
We are all different, thank God, but I'd like to voice my 2 cents. I've owned both, have even had both at the same time. I personally think the hardtops look best, but I also think the verts look great also, even with the top up, in their own way. I think the verts are quieter with the top up, doesn't have the 'drone in a drum' resonance. For daily ergonomics I like having a trunk, yet I really miss being able to carry larger objects or being able to toss a jacket behind the seat. I personally don't like being seen with the Targa off and it is no way the same 'airy' feeling of a convertable. Also, I drive motorcycles and boats and having the top down is somewhat as enjoyable. Coupes are beautiful but convertibles are a special experience. Please note this is not intended to bash other's beliefs, us car guys are so passionate. By the way, I usually don't care for white cars, but the white convertible in the previous post is damn good looking. Thanks for those who endured this.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default EZ vent

A friend of mine uses one of these. Added picture for anyone hesitant to click on the link. Leaves 2" vent to allow air to escape and reduce turbulence.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...cK25hppXIy6FSw

Old 05-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I'd be curious if that hatch device has worked for people.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:44 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

A buddy had one on his C5. Said it was perfect as it got rid of the pressure buffeting. Used it ALL the time.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't have one because I never take the top off. I have a hard enough time getting my wife to ride in the Corvette and she definitely wouldn't with the top off.

As I said in my first post a friend of mine runs with the top off much of the time and said it works great. A C6 Grand Sport by the way.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:21 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by doomi
With the top down, maybe. Notice how no vert owners show off their ride with that cloth top hanging around?

Old 05-20-2018, 01:38 PM
LSX228R
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the targa. The only thing is that it loves to make creaking noises and has to be sprayed down every few months. If I buy another vette its going to be a hard top.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:32 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
Seems like Verts are the way to go!!! I plan on buying a coupe with the transparent top one day. The idea of having an azz wipe cut the vert roof just because they want to will really set me off!!
Hmmm..."Seems like Verts are the way to go!!! I plan on buying a coupe..." Gottcha

I bought a '64 vert in '66 and have owned many since. Never once has some "azz wipe" sliced a roof. Just sayin...
Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Most guys don’t like lifting the targa roof off...as compared to the easy operation of the corvette roof.

I don’t mind as I’m a young 59 this year. I leave the roof off most of the summer spring and fall. The cost of replacing a stolen c6 is so minimal I just don’t worry about it. I put the windows up, roof off and nobody even steals the valentine radar detector ...

I personally think from a styling design aspect the convertible ages better over time.

Just something about a convertible with the top down especially that is a timeless beauty.

Just from a styling perspective the basket handle B pillar on the c6 targa is an aging design piece.

It’s not terribly aging but compared to the c7 evolution of b pillar design the c6 targa b pillar has it’s aging aspects along with the c6 headlight bulb design.

Not an insult. I dig my c6 targa for many of its design elements. I’m open minded enough to realize and accept these aging qualities of the vehicle.

The convertible dispenses with the aging aspect of the b pillar design and just leaves the headlights as an aging factor.

That’s a styling critique and just an opinion of a 3 time brand new corvette buyer who has driven them over 200k miles in all sorts of weather...

If your hitting the road courses which most never do...but some do...the targa is the easier way to go...

There were years where drag strips were a pain in the butt with convertibles too...

Having driven both coupes and convertibles over the past forty years...

When the top I saw down on a convertible the experience of being exposed to the world around you is surreal and more intimate than a targa with the roof off...

In layman’s terms the convertible just feels more open and closer to the road...

One surprise is how well the targa has sold in the c7 generation compared to the convertible.

Personally I think it was the redesign and update of the b pillar in the targa...it stylistically blends so smoothly in the design almost to go unnoticed as compared to the previous 20 years of B pillar prominence in both the beautiful c5and c6...

Change is good...

That said...if I were buying a preowned c6 at this point in time...I’d probably opt for the timeless design of a c6convertible...

Jmo
Old 05-21-2018, 07:08 PM
OlyC6
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I personally think from a styling design aspect the convertible ages better over time.

Just something about a convertible with the top down especially that is a timeless beauty.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:35 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Both are great, bought 3 coupes and 1 vert. Both have their pros and cons. Of course you will get biased opinions based on what people currently own now.

Quick Reply: Targa Top VS Rag Top Convertible