C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I have AAA and a cell phone.
I have AA,AAA and AAAA and OnStar and Runflats.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:44 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,196 Likes on 2,683 Posts

I love these threads.

Usually it's lots of advice from people who have never had an issue, and assume that since they never have, they never will, to people whom they assume will never have an issue, either. Usually very little background on what kind of driving they do and how far from home they venture.

Once in awhile, you will get someone who will tell what it is really like on the side of the road in less than ideal conditions.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:03 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mcrider
The Slime Tire Repair Kits with a compressor are only $40.00 and appear to work quickly and do the job. Spending the extra money on run flats makes no sense to me. I just picked up one of the kits today as we get ready for our road trip.
I used the fix a flat on another car and it WILL cause your tire to shimmy like hell (Out Of Balance) and i could not go over 40mph and i was on a trip...Never again use that stuff.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 05-15-2018 at 01:18 AM. Reason: correct
Old 05-15-2018, 06:52 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Looks like runflats for me
Old 05-15-2018, 07:03 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

While researching tire repair, a very important point was made in a video. The "fix a flat" in aerosol cans are labeled not to exceed 120 degrees or there is a risk of explosion! The compressor units are only about $45.00 and that risk is eliminated.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
I love these threads.

Usually it's lots of advice from people who have never had an issue, and assume that since they never have, they never will, to people whom they assume will never have an issue, either. Usually very little background on what kind of driving they do and how far from home they venture.

Once in awhile, you will get someone who will tell what it is really like on the side of the road in less than ideal conditions.
I have had three flats on the two Corvettes I have owned. The first two were caused by a screw and a nail in the center section of the tire that I was able to use my compressor to put air back in the tire, and it held long enough to drive to a shop that could patch them. The third was a catastrophic blowout caused by a manufacturing defect in the tire that happened at less than 500 miles on the new tire. This required a flatbed as there was no way to repair the tire. The dealer replaced the tire at no cost to myself.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 AM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

I love these threads.

I've never had any problems in the Vette so far, but have removed and repaired tires on other cars I've owned (every time is was a screw, nail or similar). I've also tested my jack and compressor on the Vette as well as using my tire repair kit on my WRX when I picked up a nail.

The hard part is just finding a place to pull over that is safe and has room to work on the car, but even if you are relying on roadside assistance, you need to deal with that problem anyway. Actually plugging the tire is the easy part.

Last edited by dmk0210; 05-15-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 AM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
That is BS dude,I've had many RFs patched..Where did you get that info from.
Hey Dude, here: https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...run-flat-tires, and here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226

The same info can be found on various other manufacturers websites as well.

I edited my previous post to include 'in certain situations'.

Last edited by bibbster; 05-15-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:33 AM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I love these threads.

Fun fact: We had two nails in two different tires within 2 days of buying our 'Vette. One was in an area 6 hours from home, the other back home. It was at that point I started researching what folks carry along in their 'Vette. That's how I came up with my list. And within this thread, adding some nitrile gloves will be my next item to add as soon as I get home.

I've had several other flat tires over the years, some while traveling, some at home, but always near civilization where I could get help easily. Since my wife and I plan to take our weekend getaways in the 'Vette, a tire repair kit is a must.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:42 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 292 Likes on 162 Posts

All the stuff I carry fits in the 2 small cubby holes in the back of the Vette. I even bought an old C4 jack that I keep just incase the wheel must come off.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2018, 12:23 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bibbster
adding some nitrile gloves will be my next item to add as soon as I get home.
I'm not sure what benefit the nitrile gloves add (though I do have a set in my first aid kit if I do need them). I put a set of mechanix gloves in my car tool kit.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:25 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
What do you have to FIX a tire if you have a flat ???????????
AAA , but also carry a plug kit and elec tire inflator. Knock on wood, I've never had an issue in over 7 years that I've had my Nitto Invos.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:19 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks like runflats for me
Me too. I like Firestone Firehawk EMTs. My car came with new tires. I am going to order a ContiCareKit and put it in a cubby. Later this year I am going to runflats.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:35 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210
I'm not sure what benefit the nitrile gloves add (though I do have a set in my first aid kit if I do need them). I put a set of mechanix gloves in my car tool kit.
Nitrile gloves just to keep the hands clean
Old 05-15-2018, 05:43 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 788 Likes on 543 Posts

I love these threads.

In my previous post - I said that I had a catastrophic tire failure (a.k.a a blowout) driving my DD to work. That car had a doughnut spare in it - so I pulled to the (paved) shoulder of Route 80 in NJ (read Major Interstate Highway - 3 Lanes each way) at about 5:50 AM, and changed the driver side rear tire. NOT FUN !!!! (Truth be told - it downright Sucks!) I really believe the majority of the truck drivers were seeing how much they could scare me - by coming as close to me as possible... I do a fair amount of wrench turning, so changing the tire wasn't a big deal, and I worked pretty fast (maybe not Dukes of Hazard fast - but pretty fast nonetheless...) - and I had the job done in well less than 10 minutes. Ten minutes may sound slow - but after a semi trailer was less than 2 feet from me - I decided that I was simply going to get up and stand to the pass side of the car (away from traffic) every time I heard a truck coming.... I had to have done that at least 15 times in the minutes I was out there....

This happened well over 15 years ago - and I still remember how the blowout felt - the shaking from the tire remains was bad enough - I really thought I might have a suspension component fail as I was getting the car slowed down.

I believe that I ran over something on the way to work that day that caused a rapid loss of tire pressure, and that the tire heated up quite quickly, and failed. A fairly fast tire pressure monitor might have saved me - but truthfully - unless you saw pressure rapidly falling - how many of us would have pulled over if all you saw was a tire pressure indicator light came on when you were say 10 miles from your destination ???

Nothing short of a replacement tire was going to get me on my way that day - so the AAA card or anther tow service number is (at least to me) a must. But as I said - I also carry a compressor and a plug kit - because I've had a lot more problems with picking up nails and screws than I have experienced with catastrophic tire failures ...
Old 05-15-2018, 06:17 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Kmart sells my air compressor for $15 dollars as well as a few extra dollars for a tire plug kit..

I also have AAA premier.

Non runflats have been on my two c5s and c6without concern ..(I’ve put on about 200k miles between the three cars)

No big deal and I’d never go back to runflats as the ride and handling is that much better and dealing with a flat has never been a problem...

Jmo
Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
Tire plug kit, can of fix-a-flat and a small compressor.

And then there's AAA.
same here, except Geico towing.

Get notified of new replies

To Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???

Old 05-15-2018, 06:43 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Does Fix A Flat actually work ??? have you ever used it ????

Yes, it works. Just used half a can on my golf cart tire two months ago. Still holding same PSI--32--as added when I used the FAF.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:43 PM
millsy
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Im f@cked if I get a flat, got nothing but my feet. Just got a nail in my other cars tire, luckily its a slow leaker and im driving it to get a new tire tomorrow. I dont go on long trips though and usually drive routes that I am very familiar with. I should get AAA though. I ride my motorcycle alot and I also have nothing for that and have been doing it for many many years. Im ok with hoofing it though, maybe when I get older it will be a different story.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bibbster
Hey Dude, here: https://www.bridgestonetire.com/trea...run-flat-tires, and here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226

The same info can be found on various other manufacturers websites as well.

I edited my previous post to include 'in certain situations'.
The Firestone RFs that i have says on the tire 'Do Not Patch" but there are tire shops that will fix any brand of tire.My first leak was patched at Discount Tire.

Quick Reply: Those Who Have NON RunFlats ???