C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get a C6 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 PM
RED84CF
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That has to be your decision. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:06 AM
artz66
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
And I'm not willing to type all the differences for you.
You brought it up and i don’t really care as I already own a GS and I was not interested in buying a Z06 as I wanted a targa top or I was getting a different car. I was just curios. I didn’t realize there was tha much more go fast goodies
Old 05-08-2018, 12:39 AM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Another vote for you should get out and drive one and find out for yourself if you like it. To me its all about the driving experience and what I like. I don't care what others think. I got a '08 Z06 a couple months back - my first 'vette, but not my first sports car.. While I don't intend to race it I do like the track car for the street feel in my sports cars. So I prefer the stiffer suspension, and I prefer NOT having the targa or convertible top. I am able to have another car with a back seat so I have always been able to have a 2 seater sports car. If you can swing it, why not? And as others have said, ask a 'vette forum what to get, we'll tell you a 'vette

Good luck with your decision!!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 PM
Zchris
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

How do I tell if the car has mag ride? Is it just certain years for the Grand Sports and Z06 or is it optional on all Vettes?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 PM
sprayer
Drifting

Received 900 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Zchris
How do I tell if the car has mag ride? Is it just certain years for the Grand Sports and Z06 or is it optional on all Vettes?
From the RPO code or you will see a big dial on the centre console to select what ride you want.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:50 PM
Zchris
Advanced

Originally Posted by sprayer
From the RPO code or you will see a big dial on the centre console to select what ride you want.
I knew about the RPO code but didn't think to look for the dial on the center console. Thanks for that!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Zchris
Advanced

Just a quick update on my search for those interested...

Well I finally got to test drive 1 of my 3 choices. Got to test drive a new 1LE at my local dealer. I found it better than my car in almost every way.

Interior is way better except I didn't find the seat all that comfortable and also found it a little akward getting in and out of.

The exhaust sounds 100 times better once the valves open up.

The handling was where the biggest wow factor for me came from. That thing handled way better than I expected. Very impressive for sure.

The clutch I found very touchy taking off in first. I am coming from an auto and it's been over 10 years since I last owned a manual so might have just been a case of needing to get used to it.

We did do a little number crunching just to see where I stood and how much I could actually get it for and it was a little higher than what I want to spend. They offered 20k for mine and still wanted another 20k plus tax, tag, title and like 2k in other fees.

In closing as good as it was I didn't feel like it was worth more than double what my car is worth.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:48 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

So I can actually answer this pretty well. I just bought a 2012 GS over the weekend and absolutely love driving the car and still have my 2012 SS Camaro with lots of mods. My Camaro is probably faster but drivability style and looks Corvette wins hands down. I kept my Camaro because it has a back seat and can go out as a family. Also I prefer the drive of the GS over the Z06. Yes the Z06 is faster but every day driving GS wins.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Yes, yes you should buy one
Old 05-30-2018, 09:42 PM
JealouZ
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Typically I’d try to swing you towards a Z06 but I believe, for your taste and interest, the GS is the go-to from a Corvette perspective.

I’ve heard a lot of good about the 1LE Camaro. However, after driving both, I’ll tend to agree with what was stated above: The Camaro you sit in and drive, the Corvette you wear it while driving. They really are a remarkable difference in driveabllity. You should definitely drive a GS and see how you feel. It truly feels like a real sports car and, in my personal opinion, outweighs almost all aspects of the Camaro. But that’s just me. Get out there and drive one and see how you like it and how it fits you.

It’s also worth noting, after buying my Z, some of my friends (usually on the slightly bigger side) tend to not like sitting as low as you do in the Vette vs. something like the Camaro. For some people it’s more annoying to get in and out of than the bigger/higher body of the Camaro. So that’s something you should feel for yourself.

Last edited by JealouZ; 05-30-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:03 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Just a quick update on my search for those interested...Interior is way better except I didn't find the seat all that comfortable and also found it a little akward getting in and out of.
If you found it a little awkward getting in and out, you could have a problem with a GS. Find one and drive it...
Old 05-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Zchris
Advanced

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
If you found it a little awkward getting in and out, you could have a problem with a GS. Find one and drive it...
I have sat in a GS before and it was much better imo. The problem with the 18 1LE (probably the same for any 18 Camaro) is it felt like the seat didn't really line up with the door. I went to put the seat back to get my legs in and the seat was all the way back already. I'm only 6' even. It was just a little akward to get my legs in. There was plenty of leg room once I was in though. I actually had to move the seat back up quite a bit. It's just a bit odd. The Vette I was able to just slide right in.

I'm still on the hunt for just the right one as far as the GS goes. Just can't seem to find the right combo near me. Found a few in GA but nothing really near me. I'm not quite ready to drive across the state to go hunt for just yet. Towards the end of the year though I will do just that if need be.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 AM
86SC
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

i've never owned a T-Top or targa top car before. i have a hardtop thirdgen camaro that had a 475hp 305 in it with 5 speed and drag radials.

my buddy has a 2010 base vette, i went searching for one. was eyeing an 2008 zo6 had some mods. but for some reason i wanted a removable targa top. ended up buying a 2010 GS. the removable roof is my favorite feature and makes my camaro seem extremely slow.
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2018, 08:33 AM
Zchris
Advanced

Can anyone here confirm how wide the wide body C6s are in relation to my 5th gen SS? According to what I've looked up both are 76" wide. My garage is only a 1 car and the doorway is a bit narrow. My Camaro barely fits with only 1-2 inches to spare on each side at the mirrors.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,697 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Yes, yes you should. Of course you will generally get "yes" on a Vette forum, and "no" on a Camaro forum.

The Vette is in a different league than the Camaro. The line is certainly blurred with a standard GS vs a ZL1 but I much prefer the looks of the Vette over a Camaro. The Camaro is generally a kid's pony car while the Vette is generally an adult's sports car.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:22 AM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I've owned a '10 GS Coupe MT and a '14 ZL1 Coupe AT. I enjoyed the GS more but it was mostly because of the manual trans. IMO here are some of the pros and cons.

GS Pros: Handling in general, looks, targa top better than sunroof, immediate throttle response of a NA car, it's a Corvette!

GS Cons: Seating is tight for bigger guys, 150 or 144 HP defecit (Not trolling anyone here, but I feel pretty confident a stock ZL1 would smoke a stock GS), Pretty much it for cons, they are awesome!

ZL1 Pros: Does not feel as cramped, Extra HP, infotainment is way better on 13-15 models, back seat for small people, exclusivity - while they made quite a few ZL1s, you see waaaay more GSs out on the road.

ZL1 Cons: Only car guys and pimple faced young men know its not a V6 rental car, more of a big muscle car than a true sports car.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. If you decide to go for the SS 1LE, you better hurry b/c the 2019s are ugly!
Old 05-31-2018, 01:07 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

Can anyone here confirm how wide the wide body C6s are in relation to my 5th gen SS? According to what I've looked up both are 76" wide. My garage is only a 1 car and the doorway is a bit narrow. My Camaro barely fits with only 1-2 inches to spare on each side at the mirrors.
I can only confirm that they sit exactly the same way on my lift. Outside tire dimensions are pretty the same. With that being said the Corvette gets the upper spot because if the kids scratch one I prefer the camaro.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get a C6 GS?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,152 Posts

My widebody fits into a garage where the opening is 90". Mirror to mirror, the widebody is 82.5" You might get some useful information here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rements-2.html post#37. Unfortunately, the picture is of the base model, but they are the same mirror to mirror. Don't forget that you can fold the mirrors, but that might make backing out more difficult if you nose in. In my case, I have no option but to back in, so folding the driver's mirror is not an option. I use a strategically placed broom handle at the back wall to aim the LR edge of the car at, a 4x4 piece of wood on the floor at the back to limit how far the car can go in. If you are nosing in, a piece of 2x4 would probably work just as well.

To be honest, even though I've backed in dozens of times by now, I'm always a bit concerned about hitting the passenger's side mirror, but if you can see that the driver's mirror is 2 - 3" or so from the post, then you know the passenger side can't hit. Car doesn't grow larger, and the opening doesn't shrink, after all.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:59 PM
Zchris
Advanced

Thanks for the useful info guys. I'll have to measure the width of my garage opening. Figures crossed it's at least 85" according to the diagram in that post.

I always back in since I can use the backup sensor to tell me when I'm all the way in but not too far in lol. The 5th gen is surprisingly long! Corvette is much shorter which will great on that side of things.

That being said I'm pretty sure once I get the hips of the car in I could back in the rest of the way with my driver's side mirror folded in and just use the passenger mirror to get snug to the right side wall. That's basically what I do now. I only glance at the drivers mirror at first then again to make sure the mirror itself clears.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

The removable roof is definitely something I'm looking for. I've looked into the Z06s but the only ones I find in my price range are pre-2010. Why are those so much cheaper than the 10-13s? 2 things I don't want to do is trade my car for an older one or trade one for more miles.

Plus I figure the Z06 doesn't make that much more power than a GS. If I want the same power as the Z I'm sure it won't take much to get the GS there, plus I still get my targa top.
Good points, BUT the LS3 Isn't equal to an LS7!

Quick Reply: Should I get a C6 GS?