C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air noise inside cabin on fast acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 AM
LoneStarGirl
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Air noise inside cabin on fast acceleration?

I've been out of the corvette world for several years and am now test driving some cars and trying to find the right one to get back into.

Yesterday I drove what I thought was going to be a car I really liked. Very clean 2011 Grand Sport 4LT. And then while test driving it, I accelerated hard in it and suddenly got a VERY LOUD wind/air rushing noise INSIDE the cabin. It sounded like it was coming from the A pillar area near where the bluetooth fob (sorry dont know the real name for it) is. I repeated this a couple times, getting it to do the same thing. While decelerating, it almost sounded like whatever made that noise was closing up, and then it stopped. By the end of the test ride, it made the noise at even slower speeds. I've never heard anything like this before. The dealership tried to tell me because it was a windy day.... . Any ideas??
Old 04-07-2018, 11:18 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

I would try finding another GS to test drive as a comparison.
Off the top of my head, if a catalytic converted was defective and the core was broken, one can hear the exhaust trying to escape and it will sound loud because of the restriction of flow. A muffler could do the same thing, but they are in the rear, and less common a problem.
The following users liked this post:
LoneStarGirl (04-07-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 11:27 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Another thought, maybe the roof panel was loose at one of the clamping levers, as this has been a forgotten item to check once the roof panel is re-installed. You'll hear about the flying roof club from time to time.

Last edited by extrapilot; 04-07-2018 at 11:27 AM.
LoneStarGirl (04-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 12:14 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,480 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

there was a concern with a trim piece in the windshield / cowl area causing a noise while at speed on the C6 generation................ a search for "buzzing noise" may lead to the topics............ currently at work, and limited access otherwise I would be able to find them............
Old 04-07-2018, 01:13 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarGirl
I've been out of the corvette world for several years and am now test driving some cars and trying to find the right one to get back into.

Yesterday I drove what I thought was going to be a car I really liked. Very clean 2011 Grand Sport 4LT. And then while test driving it, I accelerated hard in it and suddenly got a VERY LOUD wind/air rushing noise INSIDE the cabin. It sounded like it was coming from the A pillar area near where the bluetooth fob (sorry dont know the real name for it) is. I repeated this a couple times, getting it to do the same thing. While decelerating, it almost sounded like whatever made that noise was closing up, and then it stopped. By the end of the test ride, it made the noise at even slower speeds. I've never heard anything like this before. The dealership tried to tell me because it was a windy day.... . Any ideas??
If the car you drove had been a 2006, and this was several years ago, what you describe would almost certainly be caused by glue failure at the leading edge of the roof panel. They sounded just like that. But that was fixed in 2007.

I would make sure the roof is latched properly, and make sure the latches are holding it tight when closed. You might also see if the roof panel is coming unglued, and check the A-pillar trim is tight.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:48 AM
LoneStarGirl
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks everyone. Whatever it was, it definitely wasn't right! I'm starting to think I should save my pennies and go for a C7. It gets a little frustrating looking at C6's, seems so many have been used and abused. This car that I posted about was really a beauty but I just got a bad feeling from the dealer, and it had terrible orange peel paint on the back. I see that this is a common issue but, it was SUPER apparent and the sales guy acted like he couldn't even see it.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:00 AM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,480 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Thanks everyone. Whatever it was, it definitely wasn't right! I'm starting to think I should save my pennies and go for a C7. It gets a little frustrating looking at C6's, seems so many have been used and abused. This car that I posted about was really a beauty but I just got a bad feeling from the dealer, and it had terrible orange peel paint on the back. I see that this is a common issue but, it was SUPER apparent and the sales guy acted like he couldn't even see it.
There are a lot of nice Corvettes available............ C6 & C7's...... just may need to broaden your search area to find the perfect one for you.....

even out of state, as long as you get a lot of pictures and information first, if you decide to go that route, as the ride home makes it all worthwhile...........

good luck in your search for the right one for you........
Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 394 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Keep looking, there are a lot of garage queens out there you just have to find the one that suits you. Expand your search and be diligent but don't lower your standards. The internet is your friend, good luck!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Another possibility might have been a cold air intake (CAI)---some of those make a more pronounced sound of air intake and usually only on half or full acceleration. But, you are correct that at least paint-wise, the newest C7s have been painted in the new Paint portion of the plant with brand new equipment and orange peel is drastically reduced. This goes for cars painted from Nov., '17 onward. Just fyi. Good luck.

But it is also correct that there ARE a lot of garage queen C6s if you can find them. Depending on where you live (and I might guess TX, or from there), there should be many in your area or state.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Keep looking, there are a lot of garage queens out there you just have to find the one that suits you. Expand your search and be diligent but don't lower your standards. The internet is your friend, good luck!
PLENTY of GOOD c6's out there.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:17 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

I know of a 2012 GS wht/tan vert with 6k miles if you are interested let me know.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:51 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Sound really bounces around the cabin in these things, and I personally find it's pretty hard to figure out where noise is coming from. Also, you don't say whether or not it's a coupe or vert, but it it's a coupe, I have the identical car (maybe not the same color). When you stick your foot in it, there is a definite increase in sound volume when the engine hits 3500 RPM, and the NPP valves open the exhaust up. It's very noticeable, like an afterburner kicks in. It's not speed related, but engine RPM related. Maybe this is what you were hearing?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:28 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

dealers warmly embrace the "I don't (hear/see/smell) it" syndrome on any used car. I don't like buying from dealers because they cannot tell you even one thing that you cannot find out for yourself.

To find the Corvette that really hits the sweet spot for you, you have to look and research lots of them.

Just because a car is new (C7) does not mean it won't have similar issues, or that the dealer will agree with you. Lots of evidence about that.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:40 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
Sound really bounces around the cabin in these things, and I personally find it's pretty hard to figure out where noise is coming from. Also, you don't say whether or not it's a coupe or vert, but it it's a coupe, I have the identical car (maybe not the same color). When you stick your foot in it, there is a definite increase in sound volume when the engine hits 3500 RPM, and the NPP valves open the exhaust up. It's very noticeable, like an afterburner kicks in. It's not speed related, but engine RPM related. Maybe this is what you were hearing?
NPP exhaust would definitely do that. It's RPM (3500) and throttle dependent so will happen at a different speed in each gear. Most people just defeat the computer and keep the exhaust valve open ALL THE TIME. It's called a mild to wild kit.

Another thought is possibly the windows need to be re-indexed. It they are not going up all the way the window might be sucking out at speed, that makes a huge wind noise. It can be tough to localize noises in any vehicle but especially in a vehicle you're not used to.

Last edited by dr_gallup; 04-09-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:13 PM
THE BUD MAN
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I don't care what you do to it, the road noise will be well beyond most any other car you would compare. It is built for performance which it certainly delivers and part of that performance is due to weight reduction,,,,,, such as insulation.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by THE BUD MAN
I don't care what you do to it, the road noise will be well beyond most any other car you would compare. It is built for performance which it certainly delivers and part of that performance is due to weight reduction,,,,,, such as insulation.
Do you think she cares, 15 months later?
Old 07-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

The C7 offers big performance and big value. It is more of a sports car than a luxury GT. If you want the C7 to be more of a luxury GT, noise reduction will take you a long way on that journey.

Disclaimer: I have done only minimal noise suppression on my current C7 and prior C6 because I was and am reluctant to add weight to what I consider to be an already reasonably quiet sports car. I have done some significant sound suppression work on my old ride, a 2010 370Z w/Sport Package, now that car had some serious road noise! Basically you need to gut the interior and cover every accessible surface with a DynaMat type product and cover that with one or more of the sound absorbing mat products. Then search the forum for the consensus choice for the quietest tires, put a sun shade on your acrylic roof and hopefully you’ll be happy.

Your concerns are legitimate but the reason you are getting some push back is because you are taking the car in a direction that it was never designed to go, you can do it and you will most likely have a really nice GT, maybe not luxury, car when you are done. Just recognize that maybe 90% of the people on this forum would consider selling a body part to knock a second off their ET so adding heavy sound reduction matting strikes some of them as sacrilege.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:11 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by guard dad
the c7 offers big performance and big value. It is more of a sports car than a luxury gt. If you want the c7 to be more of a luxury gt, noise reduction will take you a long way on that journey.

Disclaimer: I have done only minimal noise suppression on my current c7 and prior c6 because i was and am reluctant to add weight to what i consider to be an already reasonably quiet sports car. I have done some significant sound suppression work on my old ride, a 2010 370z w/sport package, now that car had some serious road noise! Basically you need to gut the interior and cover every accessible surface with a dynamat type product and cover that with one or more of the sound absorbing mat products. Then search the forum for the consensus choice for the quietest tires, put a sun shade on your acrylic roof and hopefully you’ll be happy.

Your concerns are legitimate but the reason you are getting some push back is because you are taking the car in a direction that it was never designed to go, you can do it and you will most likely have a really nice gt, maybe not luxury, car when you are done. Just recognize that maybe 90% of the people on this forum would consider selling a body part to knock a second off their et so adding heavy sound reduction matting strikes some of them as sacrilege.

this thread is 15 months old.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:47 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

It is a whole lot easier to decide on what you want, then look for it, rather than looking for something you will like. There is NO shortage of exceptional C6's at decent prices. You know the saying..."you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince"? Better off to decide what you want, sample as many as possible until you find the one for you.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 07-30-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Air noise inside cabin on fast acceleration?

Quick Reply: Air noise inside cabin on fast acceleration?