C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittantly recognized key fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:36 PM
Robert Simon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittantly recognized key fob

Just got my 2008 convertible out of winter storage here in Chicagoland area. My key fob is erratic. Sometimes it can unlock and lock the car from30 feet away, other times it will only do it right next to the car. Sometimes I can unlock the door, but it won't recognize the key fob to start the car. I have replaced its battery. I have only owned the vette for two years, and have had issues with the fob since I bought the car.

Since the key fob is recognized at times by the car, I assume it is not a programming issue but perhaps the fob has been abused or wore out?

Suggestions on how to proceed? Buy new fob internals from ebay? Buy new fob from dealer? ??
Old 03-30-2018, 11:31 PM
Jn499
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

I battled a similar issue for 3 weeks. I was able to unlock and lock by pressing the button on either fob. The car wouldn’t start and I would get the NO FOBS DETECTED message. But after several attempts the car would then start usually. But then I would get a similar message when shutting the car down. Also the Auto Unlock on approach feature would work intermittently. I replaced fob batteries as that is the most common issue. I replaced the battery under the hood when that didn’t work. I made sure that I didn’t have my cell phone in the area as some say they have experienced interference. I also checked the antenna connections (glove box slot, rear hatch area, and both B pillars) with no luck. I checked fuses under the hood and in the passenger foot well. I checked the terminal connections as well as the connections on the BCM. And nothing. I tried the fob programming process and the fobs were listed as recongnized fobs. For some strange reason I decided to pull my radio and courtesy light fuses in the passenger foot well and the fobs worked with zero issues consistently. And I realized that LED replacement bulbs were the culprit. I swithched them back to stock and no more issues. My issue was LED bulbs. But the others above seem to be the more common and easy to check areas that may be causing your issue.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:36 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Robert Simon
Just got my 2008 convertible out of winter storage here in Chicagoland area. My key fob is erratic. Sometimes it can unlock and lock the car from30 feet away, other times it will only do it right next to the car. Sometimes I can unlock the door, but it won't recognize the key fob to start the car. I have replaced its battery. I have only owned the vette for two years, and have had issues with the fob since I bought the car.

Since the key fob is recognized at times by the car, I assume it is not a programming issue but perhaps the fob has been abused or wore out?

Suggestions on how to proceed? Buy new fob internals from ebay? Buy new fob from dealer? ??
There have been a lot of NEW fob batteries that were bad. As cheap as fob batteries are, go somewhere that sells many of them and buy some more fob batteries. There's no way to know how old the fob batteries were when you first bought the car. Yes, I realize you said you already replaced the battery in the fob, but do it again.

If the symptoms still exist after installing the new fob batteries, follow other suggestions.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:49 AM
Jn499
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

I did the same. Also look for battery replacement with a smooth negative side rather than textured. There are some brands that have dimples or texture to the negative side of the battery. Many have reported that those do not provide adequate contact with the prongs on the fob to deliver proper voltage. Proper voltage should be 3v. You can test the battery you purchase prior to install to ensure proper voltage.
The following users liked this post:
tahitibluemg (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:58 AM
tahitibluemg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
There have been a lot of NEW fob batteries that were bad. As cheap as fob batteries are, go somewhere that sells many of them and buy some more fob batteries. There's no way to know how old the fob batteries were when you first bought the car. Yes, I realize you said you already replaced the battery in the fob, but do it again.

If the symptoms still exist after installing the new fob batteries, follow other suggestions.
Good advice, will do this week. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:58 AM
tahitibluemg
Intermediate

Thanks, good advice, will do this week.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:05 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I traced an unlock problem to a bad door opener pad. All my no-start/no-fob-detected issues have been traceable to rf interference. Once it was parked close to the automatic door at UPS, once it was a new 12v/USB adapter in the console, and several times it was I set my iphone in the cupholder before pushing the start button.
tahitibluemg (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:14 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm tellin' you for a fact, if you don't know the fob battery is greater than 3 volts, replace the fob battery with a "known" fresh battery. Ask me how I know this. I battled this intermittent problem for 3-1/2 years until I figured out I had bought a handful of CR2032 batteries that were nearly dead. I was feeding my fob with mostly dead batteries. Buy them at a store that sells this battery often enough to order and keep on hand fresh ones.
tahitibluemg (04-02-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:00 PM
tahitibluemg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vette_DD

thanks for the tip. checked battery and it was at 3.03 volts. replaced it with a new battery that read 3.3 volts. Also sanded battery and contacts inside fob for better contact. Soon as it stops raining I will see it it's reliable.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:02 PM
tahitibluemg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jn499

I did the same. Also look for battery replacement with a smooth negative side rather than textured. There are some brands that have dimples or texture to the negative side of the battery. Many have reported that those do not provide adequate contact with the prongs on the fob to deliver proper voltage. Proper voltage should be 3v. You can test the battery you purchase prior to install to ensure proper voltage.
I replaced the battery, and sanded the contacts inside the remote and sanded the battery with emery cloth. Fob worked 25 feet away! We'll see if it continues to be effective. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:06 PM
tahitibluemg
Intermediate

Default key fob intermittant

Thanks for the advice everyone. I put a fresh battery in with 3.3 volts and sanded the battery surfaces as well as the contacts in the key fob for the battery. I also think that a culprit is the fob case doesn't close as effectively, or tightly as when new, so perhaps those teeny contact arms on the circuit board aren't contacting all the time, thereby making it intermittant. I plan to purchase a new black plastic cover that will snap together more tightly.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:34 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I change the fob batteries every Spring time.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:35 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by tahitibluemg
Thanks for the advice everyone. I put a fresh battery in with 3.3 volts and sanded the battery surfaces as well as the contacts in the key fob for the battery. I also think that a culprit is the fob case doesn't close as effectively, or tightly as when new, so perhaps those teeny contact arms on the circuit board aren't contacting all the time, thereby making it intermittant. I plan to purchase a new black plastic cover that will snap together more tightly.
Try slightly bending those "contact arms" upward for better contact if your case doesn't close properly.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:53 PM
frytex
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

All my issues with my door not opening and no Key FOB ended up being a bad outside door pad. once I fixed it everything worked again.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I would start with the battery. That's my FOB does when the battery is weak. They're $3?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:22 AM
jrc50
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jn499
I battled a similar issue for 3 weeks. I was able to unlock and lock by pressing the button on either fob. The car wouldn’t start and I would get the NO FOBS DETECTED message. But after several attempts the car would then start usually. But then I would get a similar message when shutting the car down. Also the Auto Unlock on approach feature would work intermittently. I replaced fob batteries as that is the most common issue. I replaced the battery under the hood when that didn’t work. I made sure that I didn’t have my cell phone in the area as some say they have experienced interference. I also checked the antenna connections (glove box slot, rear hatch area, and both B pillars) with no luck. I checked fuses under the hood and in the passenger foot well. I checked the terminal connections as well as the connections on the BCM. And nothing. I tried the fob programming process and the fobs were listed as recongnized fobs. For some strange reason I decided to pull my radio and courtesy light fuses in the passenger foot well and the fobs worked with zero issues consistently. And I realized that LED replacement bulbs were the culprit. I swithched them back to stock and no more issues. My issue was LED bulbs. But the others above seem to be the more common and easy to check areas that may be causing your issue.
Jn499
My 2011 GS with 6000 miles lies dead in a Chevy dealership with the fob issue. They have replaced the receiver above the radio and no fix, batteries ok. There have been no LED bulb replacements in car or bulbs of any kind. My question to you is when you installed new bulbs and replaced the fuses did the Fobs work ok? The Chevy dealer has been in communication with GM and they seem to be of little help.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:00 PM
tahitibluemg
Intermediate

I finally figured out the issue with the intermittantly reognized key fob. Prior owner opened the fob case and broke the 'latches' on the plastic so that it was not totally completely closed, thereby causing the battery to lose contact. I solved the problem by putting two small plastic zip ties over the case, keeping it tightly closed. Even bending the battery contacts up didn't work.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittantly recognized key fob

Quick Reply: Intermittantly recognized key fob