C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
OK: Now that could be my problem 'OnStar' because my vette battery will drop low enough only after a couple of days sometimes and will not kick over.I had a 5th battery installed 2 months ago and it was fully charged and read 12.6 volts when installed.(AC Delco 42 month).Every day i go out and check the battery voltage before start up and it will read between 11.7 to 11.9 but of course that's depends on how cold it it is..'Never under 40 degrees) for a few months down here....Like you said OnStar is trying to connect to my car,well my vette sits under a tin roof/carport witch will block the signal.I know because i get the icon on my navigation screen...Hum.Thanks for that infor.
Easy way to test, just pull the Onstar fuse in the kick panel when you park the car, and see if the battery drain problem goes away when it's parked for a few days.
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:45 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default dead battery

Originally Posted by LowRyter
check your negative cable connection. Clean and reseat it. Make sure that it's connected by the proper tapered nut (not a common flat nut).

Mine dies like that too due to poor connection from the negative cable. I am not sure why.

I discovered the previous owner stashed a 10mm wrench and battery terminal brush in the storage bin. Now I know why he did that. But I still don't understand why the negative terminal doesn't stay connected.

I'm sure everyone has different issues resulting battery life.
my initial one was the passenger seat adjuster was stuck.
it kept cycling and would drain the battery after one day.
once I figured it out, 1-1/2 years later, no problem.
but I also have an issue with the negative cable.
It has come loose twice while driving. go to start, nothing.
I can't get the terminal tight enough though. I can still work it loose by hand. for now, I get it as tight as I can, then twist it bit to help it seat better.

good luck!
Old 03-07-2018, 12:56 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
I'm sure everyone has different issues resulting battery life.
my initial one was the passenger seat adjuster was stuck.
it kept cycling and would drain the battery after one day.
once I figured it out, 1-1/2 years later, no problem.
but I also have an issue with the negative cable.
It has come loose twice while driving. go to start, nothing.
I can't get the terminal tight enough though. I can still work it loose by hand. for now, I get it as tight as I can, then twist it bit to help it seat better.

good luck!
Do you have the correct nut for the terminal? If not, it will do exactly what you're saying.
The following users liked this post:
cgladish (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default dead battery

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Do you have the correct nut for the terminal? If not, it will do exactly what you're saying.

I haven't checked. had the car since jan / 2017, bought from the original owner. it's not been a big deal, but i'll put it on the list.

thanks!
Old 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM
SHM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac
Hello all,
I'm looking for some insight. I replaced my battery about 2 months ago (2012 GS) with the OEM one from autozone. After not driving it for about 10 days, it's dead again. I finally got it started but I had to charge it for a about 30 minutes using my wifes car to get it to finally turn over. Then, after running it for a few minutes, I shut it off and turned it back on but wouldn't turn over again. Clearly my battery is pretty much toast.
Is there anything that I could be doing that would cause the battery to die? I don't want to have to buy a new one every 2-3 months. So if there is some secret that I'm missing I'd love to hear it.
Thanks for any thoughts!
Make sure if you have any connected accessories that they're all turned off or unplugged. Also make certain the interior lights actually go out after you close the doors. These cars do have a 10 min power saver delay. If you leave something on or leave a door open for more than 10 min, the BCM will cut the power.

Otherwise, if you have anything drawing too much current, best to disconnect the '-' battery terminal and connect a DVM in current mode to the terminal and the other lead to the cable. If there's more than a few milliamps of current draw, something may be drawing too much power. Just make certain no light is on with the hatch up. From then, it's going fuse to fuse to measure current draw until you find the circuit that's the power hog.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I didn't read the whole page but first things first. When you bought the new battery did you charge it completely? People think that new batteries are charged up but sometimes they aren't. I ALWAYS charge a new battery until my trickle charger says that it's fully charged.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Running it a few minutes is not nearly long enough to charge it. You should use a real battery charger for a few hours and a tender thereafter.

2nd this. Alternators aren't like the old generators. They won't pick up (charge) a dead battery. You should charge it for several hours when you buy a new battery. Preferably overnight.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:20 PM
SHM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what I just did. I replaced the battery, then immediately connected the tender. When the tender showed a full charge, I started it and drove it for about 45 min. Hopefully, I broke in the new battery in the best possible way...
Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Before you leave the place you brought it at...Make sure of the born on date and have them charge it fully to around 12.6 volts.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:46 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Simple answer, GM engineering. Never had a problem with any other car like a Vett. They even have a bulletin out on the vette and cadi 05-07 for a parasitic draw because they programed it wrong supposedly on the automatic door lock setting. Won't tell people, most of the dealers probably don't know the fix, and they won't reprogram free...they charge for their own admitted mistakes. Got to live with it if you want a vette, one thing or another. Some get lucky others don't. Some depend on how it's been taken care of and driven. Then they put that stupid switch for the map lights so if you just nudge it your battery is screwed if you don't notice they are on.. I use a tender for a couple days or anything longer.....never have on another car in over 50yrs of owning many many...jmo

Last edited by NOWUCME; 03-08-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Time to trade.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

[QUOTE=Jimmy W1;1596743801]2nd this. Alternators aren't like the old generators. They won't pick up (charge) a dead battery. You should charge it for several hours when you buy a new battery. Preferably overnight.

[/QUOTE Wrong: I've charged my battery on my vette and my classic car many times after a jump start.is that not what the alternator is for....I remember back in the day when i had a lot of used cars with the generator and a 6 volt battery and to get a charge i would have to run the engine at a higher rpm. Not all of us have a battery charger.Would not do any good anyway,because i live in a apartment with covered parking with no ac power.

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 03-09-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 AM
03CARISMA
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RonC7
The last time I bought an Autozone battery, I asked them to check it before I accepted it. The first battery off the shelf failed. The second battery was good. I now have the parts store load test a battery before I will accept it and pay. Just a thought.
Same issue. I just replaced the battery in our "13, but the first replacement battery was dead after a few days--long story, no parasitic drain, but bad battery. The second one seems to be working well.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 AM
SixAddict
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 764 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Ira T
I don't know if this is true or not, but someone posted not long ago that if you have NPP with a remote, you should have the flaps open when you put it in the garage for several days or there will be a drain. Never heard this before but I generally leave them open anyway.
This is true. I've had mine go dead in a week by forgetting to "open" flaps.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a 2013 sits in my heated 4 car garage. It has sat for better than 3 weeks and it fires right up. My 2003 could sit for that long and would have no problems starting it.

I feel you have a draw on your battery. As an example; I have my 68 Camaro (I am the only owner) in the same garage. When I park it, I discount the negative post on the battery. I had to replace my battery last summer, after 16 years on a auto zone battery. Old cars have drains due to shorts in old wiring. So I beat the system by discounting the negative.

Now we can not really do this with our vettes, but you could use this as a trouble shooting method to prove the car drains the battery and that the battery is not bad.

Good Luck in trouble shooting !
Old 02-03-2022, 01:20 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

How about dirty battery terminal connectors? My battery went dead (7 yrs. old now and 2nd one). Tried to jump it no success then I cleaned the terminals and it started right up after jump. But a week later battery dead at 10 volts....
Autozone did a free battery test that says it's 99% good and charging system works fine.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Again