C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Exhaust + LT Headers / Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default NPP Exhaust + LT Headers / Z06

Hi guys,

My new C6 has NPP exhaust - I love the fact that I can control its sound with a remote switch. It had it turned down on my 2000+ mile drive back home.

I am thinking of getting long tube headers (like: Kooks, LG street, etc with X pipe and cats since I live in CA).

Question: Can this set up get directly hooked up to the NPP mufflers? Or would I need to change out the entire exhaust? If I can't get an LT system, then would a Z06 manifold/H pipe benefit me in anyway?

I don't want to lose the remote feature of the NPP exhaust, so I would like to keep it. Also with adding LTs I realize it would increase the sound, but with the NPP remote control, I would still have the control of keeping the flaps closed or open.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
Hi guys,

My new C6 has NPP exhaust - I love the fact that I can control its sound with a remote switch. It had it turned down on my 2000+ mile drive back home.

I am thinking of getting long tube headers (like: Kooks, LG street, etc with X pipe and cats since I live in CA).

Question: Can this set up get directly hooked up to the NPP mufflers? Or would I need to change out the entire exhaust? If I can't get an LT system, then would a Z06 manifold/H pipe benefit me in anyway?

I don't want to lose the remote feature of the NPP exhaust, so I would like to keep it. Also with adding LTs I realize it would increase the sound, but with the NPP remote control, I would still have the control of keeping the flaps closed or open.
I have the exact setup and retained my NPP with M2W remote. I did the Kooks 1 3/4" with Hi flow cats and 3" X-pipe that's steps down to 2.5" so that's it accommodates the OTA pipes.
I will forewarn you that you will have DRONE when the NPP is open, especially with windows up. Now for me I don't mind it plus with the windows down it sounds AWESOME, pretty loud in fact, here's a little sample. And you are correct, just close the flap if you want quiet
NSF
Old 03-05-2018, 06:58 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Sad thing is none of the videos do no justice to how loud the car is in person. LoL
Old 03-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default NPP with Long Tubes

Originally Posted by jaybee924
Sad thing is none of the videos do no justice to how loud the car is in person. LoL
Agree. I have a GS 6 spd with
Long Tubes X pipe and high flow cats back to NPP.

It certainly wakes me up and get attention.

JB
Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

I LIKE that ...

How it the sound with flaps CLOSED? I am sure it sounds wild with the flaps Opened, but I'm more concerned with how it sounds while closed?

And now if you guys can help me figure out which set up I should go with? I'd like to keep it economical; I'm not looking to squeeze every ounce of HP - any LT system would be better than OEM - as long as it doesn't leak, overheat, and fits well, that's good. Money is kinda limited since I just bought the car; and now mods , cleaning kits, fluid changes, maintenance items, etc...all pretty expensive stuff.

But I'd rather do this now, before I get it on the road for good.

Pending stereo upgrade for summer.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

I LIKE that ...

How it the sound with flaps CLOSED? I am sure it sounds wild with the flaps Opened, but I'm more concerned with how it sounds while closed?

And now if you guys can help me figure out which set up I should go with? I'd like to keep it economical; I'm not looking to squeeze every ounce of HP - any LT system would be better than OEM - as long as it doesn't leak, overheat, and fits well, that's good. Money is kinda limited since I just bought the car; and now mods , cleaning kits, fluid changes, maintenance items, etc...all pretty expensive stuff.

But I'd rather do this now, before I get it on the road for good.

Pending stereo upgrade for summer.
If you go Z06 then I believe you have to go 3" all the way back so you would have to change your whole setup, but you might find one for sale in the sale section for less money.
Mine is fairly quiet when flaps are closed, some times its nice to do that
NSF
Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
If you go Z06 then I believe you have to go 3" all the way back so you would have to change your whole setup, but you might find one for sale in the sale section for less money.
Mine is fairly quiet when flaps are closed, some times its nice to do that
NSF
That's why I want to keep my OEM NPP mufflers, so I can enjoy the quiet sometimes. And I love the remote control operation.

Got any ideas what type of LT headers & X pipe should I go for (not considering Z06 now, cuz I want to keep the NPP and I don't think the Z exhaust would make much difference in a base A6).

Also, can I forego the cats? It's a long shot, but I want to smog the car in CA.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

That's why I want to keep my OEM NPP mufflers, so I can enjoy the quiet sometimes. And I love the remote control operation.

Got any ideas what type of LT headers & X pipe should I go for (not considering Z06 now, cuz I want to keep the NPP and I don't think the Z exhaust would make much difference in a base A6).

Also, can I forego the cats? It's a long shot, but I want to smog the car in CA.
I'm not an authority on the Z06 setup so check that out to be sure ok.
I went with Kooks 1 3/4" uncoated with their hi-flow cats and 3" X-pipe X 2.5" reducer. They made a considerable difference in the cars performance
Since your in Mexifornia I wouldn't disregard the cats, you will as they say get a smell of gasoline without them and not pass any visual inspection at the smog station, plus I don't know of any advantages to eliminating them, maybe a little louder
You are aware you have to tune the car afterwards right?
NSF
Old 03-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Honestly, I don't care so much when one system advertises they make "X" number HP/TQ over another system. And if one system makes 5-10 HP difference, but costs $500-$1000 more, it's not efficient for my application (IMHO). I'm not a track racer.

A little gain in numbers would come from any LT system over OEM and improved sound also, which is my goal. I am open to recommendations....(must pass CA smog and clear the bottom safely. Don't care about visual inspection).

Any ideas about how these are? Just checking out...

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3285-e...ette-2008.aspx

https://www.protuninglab.com/engine-...-corvette.html

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 03-07-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:24 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

As with anything you get what you pay for. Personally I wouldn't go with TSP headers as their fit is not that great (they hang low). Stick to ARH, Kooks or LG headers and you'll be fine.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:44 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
As with anything you get what you pay for. Personally I wouldn't go with TSP headers as their fit is not that great (they hang low). Stick to ARH, Kooks or LG headers and you'll be fine.
Funny thing, there's a TSP vendor (also a forum member here) PM'ed me saying TSP is made in USA, while LG is made in China. I was considering the LG Street series.

Why isn't anyone selling one when you need one...
Old 03-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Honestly, I don't care so much when one system advertises they make "X" number HP/TQ over another system. And if one system makes 5-10 HP difference, but costs $500-$1000 more, it's not efficient for my application (IMHO). I'm not a track racer.

A little gain in numbers would come from any LT system over OEM and improved sound also, which is my goal. I am open to recommendations....(must pass CA smog and clear the bottom safely. Don't care about visual inspection).

Any ideas about how these are? Just checking out...

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3285-e...ette-2008.aspx

https://www.protuninglab.com/engine-...-corvette.html
I cant comment or recommend any thing other than what I have, wouldn't be fair. What I do know is the fit, finish, quality, Stage 8 hardware, 02 extensions and all that was needed was supplied, didn't have to want for anything, it was all supplied with my Kooks, and they fit up in the under carriage with almost no hang down.
I understand price limits believe me, but in this case I felt that if I was going to do it I'd get what people say are one of the best, so far it has proven out to be true.
But you have to live within your means, that I understand
Good luck
NSF
Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Funny thing, there's a TSP vendor (also a forum member here) PM'ed me saying TSP is made in USA, while LG is made in China. I was considering the LG Street series.

Why isn't anyone selling one when you need one...
Well you have to take that with a grain of salt. There's plenty of bad stuff made in the USA as well, not just China. I think the main issue with the TSP headers is how far they hang down. I'm sure their materials and welding are fine. Also their x-pipe does not come with cats. And I don't want to come across as bashing them because they are substantially cheaper than some of the other brands and maybe that's all you have budget for.

Last edited by MYCoupe; 03-07-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

^ Hmmm... I know TSP isn't in the 1st class category, but when I had a C5, a lot of guys had TSP's. Hanging low is really going to be a problem for me though, cuz my driveway is like a valley - take me forever to back out the car, even at an angle and several back and forth attempts.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:07 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

I have American Racing headers (ARH) long tubes with catted X. They tuck very good but from what I've read on here time and time again, if you want a good tuck ARH, KooKs and LG. Shop around because you can get the Kooks or ARH for maybe a little more than LG's but you have to really look around.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jaybee924
I have American Racing headers (ARH) long tubes with catted X. They tuck very good but from what I've read on here time and time again, if you want a good tuck ARH, KooKs and LG. Shop around because you can get the Kooks or ARH for maybe a little more than LG's but you have to really look around.
So you're saying the Kooks & ARH are better than LG? And yeah, I am looking around - no specials, individual local sale, etc going on yet. I'll just wait, not in a rush. But since I just got my new C6, I'd like to really enjoy it; and the sound is a big part of it...
Old 03-08-2018, 09:31 PM
G8Pumpkin
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I have JBA tri Y with there catted mid pipe and it bolts up to the NPP stock pipes just in front of the axle works really good has a much nicer sound. With my ported MSD and the exhaust and tune picked up 100 ft/lbs torque and 70hp

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Exhaust + LT Headers / Z06

Old 03-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I have the exact setup and retained my NPP with M2W remote. I did the Kooks 1 3/4" with Hi flow cats and 3" X-pipe that's steps down to 2.5" so that's it accommodates the OTA pipes.
I will forewarn you that you will have DRONE when the NPP is open, especially with windows up. Now for me I don't mind it plus with the windows down it sounds AWESOME, pretty loud in fact, here's a little sample. And you are correct, just close the flap if you want quiet
NSF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3HQBOLPVQ
Hum..My 08 with cam,LT's,intake,Borla Stringers and custom tune is 3/4 times louder then your setup and i don't get any Drone at 75 plus mph.I think it is the npp that causes the drone with the higher pitch.I've been in a couple of vettes with npp and the windows down and my ears would ring.??

Last edited by Cherokee Nation; 03-08-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

You will not pass the Ozone test in Ca with LT's.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by G8Pumpkin
I have JBA tri Y with there catted mid pipe and it bolts up to the NPP stock pipes just in front of the axle works really good has a much nicer sound. With my ported MSD and the exhaust and tune picked up 100 ft/lbs torque and 70hp
Please share more info on the ported MSD and JBA tri Y similar to yours. Those are some amazing numbers...

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
You will not pass the Ozone test in Ca with LT's.
Huh? So nobody in CA gets LT headers? I am sure they do...

Quick Reply: NPP Exhaust + LT Headers / Z06