C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Deadening Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:10 AM
jmoney127
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Sound Deadening Z06

Looking at installing sound deadening in my z06. I plan to do the entire trunk as well as the floors, console and back wall. Undecided on if the doors would need it as well. I’ve been looking at the dynamat xtreme and dynapad. I was curious if anyone had used only on of the products, either of them, or combined both and what your experience has been. If I did both it would probably cost me close to $700 in material but not sure if that is worth it or not, looking for the best value and to get rid of road noise and hopefully a bit of exhaust noise/drone

Last edited by jmoney127; 01-29-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 AM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I used a combination of Noico 50 and 80 mil sound proofing from Amazon. It's a fraction of the price of Dynamat. I did the hatch area, behind the seats and inside doors. I also removed the inner fenders in the rear and used Peel and Seal from Lowe's. Under the car on the flat panels, I used the product from Home depot - I forget the name. I suggest taking the seats out, because a few spots started to come loose. My wife said, and I agree, the road/tire noise is reduced by about 40 percent. It's more like riding in a typical passenger car. The car just seems more solid too. When I have the NPP exhaust open, there is still a fair amount of noise. It's really nice on a trip with the exhaust closed - much better for listening to music. All this stuff added about 50 pounds to the weight of the car, but I can't feel the difference. Best regards

Last edited by montman; 01-29-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:44 AM
Megatronss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did everything except under the seats with 80 mil, definite made a difference. I’d say 30-40% as well. I used cheaper sound deadened all well from amazon. It was more like $100 if I remember correctly.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:47 AM
Old Man in a C
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 133 Posts

I went the whole route. Ditched the runflats too. Problem is, the elephant is still in the room. I'm constantly asking myself if I still hear "noise".
My advice: forget about it... it's a Corvette. If I want a nice quiet ride, I take my F150.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM
jmoney127
Pro

Anyone with experience with dynapad?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:25 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've sound-proofed and insulated two C5s and my 2013 Z06. In all three I used Raamat BXT-II and Ensolite.

I just finished the Z06 a couple of months ago. It made a difference, but not as much as I was hoping for. The rear wheel wells and sides are the main sources of road noise.

It's almost not worth doing until you've got rid of the stock Goodyear runflats.

Ensolite is a pretty good insulator. Using it around the tunnel significantly cuts down on console heat.

Materials cost about $400, but I had quite a bit of Ensolite left over. I probably could have done it for around $360.

Last edited by A Marsh; 01-29-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:43 AM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by A Marsh
I've sound-proofed and insulated two C5s and my 2013 Z06. In all three I used Raamat BXT-II and Ensolite.

I just finished the Z06 a couple of months ago. It made a difference, but not as much as I was hoping for. The rear wheel wells and sides are the main sources of road noise.

It's almost not worth doing until you've got rid of the stock Goodyear runflats.

Ensolite is a pretty good insulator. Using it around the tunnel significantly cuts down on console heat.

Materials cost about $400, but I had quite a bit of Ensolite left over. I probably could have done it for around $360.
Runflats are long gone, now it is mainly exhaust noise but also some road noise
Old 01-29-2018, 11:10 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Man in a C
I went the whole route. Ditched the runflats too. Problem is, the elephant is still in the room. I'm constantly asking myself if I still hear "noise".
My advice: forget about it... it's a Corvette. If I want a nice quiet ride, I take my F150.
Best and most sound advise your gonna get. I know this is the land of all opinions matter.....but just having a hard time understanding why we keep buying sports cars where we basically sit down and in between the much wider than average tires and then we complain about road noise......
Old 01-29-2018, 11:57 AM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by windyC6
Best and most sound advise your gonna get. I know this is the land of all opinions matter.....but just having a hard time understanding why we keep buying sports cars where we basically sit down and in between the much wider than average tires and then we complain about road noise......
I’m fine with the road noise in a stock corvette, mine is more of the added sound from the exhaust
Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=montman;1596473691I used a combination of Noico 50 and 80 mil sound proofing from Amazon. It's a fraction of the price of Dynamat. I did the hatch area, behind the seats and inside doors. I also removed the inner fenders in the rear and used Peel and Seal from Lowe's. Under the car on the flat panels, I used the product from Home depot - I forget the name. I suggest taking the seats out, because a few spots started to come loose. My wife said, and I agree, the road/tire noise is reduced by about 40 percent. It's more like riding in a typical passenger car. The car just seems more solid too. When I have the NPP exhaust open, there is still a fair amount of noise. It's really nice on a trip with the exhaust closed - much better for listening to music. All this stuff added about 50 pounds to the weight of the car, but I can't feel the difference. Best regards[/QUOTE]

I agree. It makes the car feel more solid and is a lot less fatiguing on a long drive.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:13 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 885 Likes on 575 Posts

Does lining the under hatch area cause any problems with the nav unit? I had a roll of aluminum foil in the back and the nav quit working (lost GPS) until I found a different place to put it.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:29 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Just another option...

Rather then permanently glue down a lot of weight to your car, take a look at the BLOCKIT.

It takes about 60 seconds to install. Its a 3 piece kit thats pre cut to fit perfect and it lay on top of your factory carpet!
One pre cut piece for the cargo area and one piece for behind each seat.
Its removable so you can take it out for a for a track event. Toss it back in for the ride home!

The top layer is a texture tough black urethane which looks pretty good and still allows you to use the cargo area. You can put an aftermarket carpet over it if you already have one.

Do a search on the forum you will see overwhelming positive results.
Now this will not turn your car into a cadillac. BUT, it will absolutely take the edge off tire/road and exhaust, allow you to talk to a passenger and use your blue tooth easier without ripping apart your car.
Heres a link to learn more.
http://www.tkoperformance.com/05-13-...pe_p_1083.html

Check out all our sound solutions..
http://www.tkoperformance.com/2005-2013_c_4753.html

Last edited by TKO Performance; 01-29-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:36 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by TKO Performance
Just another option...

Rather then permanently glue down a lot of weight to your car, take a look at the BLOCKIT.

It takes about 60 seconds to install. Its a 3 piece kit thats pre cut to fit perfect and it lay on top of your factory carpet!
One pre cut piece for the cargo area and one piece for behind each seat.
Its removable so you can take it out for a for a track event. Toss it back in for the ride home!

The top layer is a texture tough black urethane which looks pretty good and still allows you to use the cargo area. You can put an aftermarket carpet over it if you already have one.

Do a search on the forum you will see overwhelming positive results.
Now this will not turn your car into a cadillac. BUT, it will absolutely take the edge off tire/road and exhaust, allow you to talk to a passenger and use your blue tooth easier without ripping apart your car.
Heres a link to learn more.
http://www.tkoperformance.com/05-13-...pe_p_1083.html

Check out all our sound solutions..
http://www.tkoperformance.com/2005-2013_c_4753.html

If I do it, I’m going to do it right..
Old 01-29-2018, 01:46 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Go to Lowes/Home Depot..buy two rolls of duct insulation....foil back on one side, sticky on the other, about $18 a roll. You will have some left over. I did the complete rear compartment of my 2006 Z06, behind the seats, entire console. Took a couple of hours. Easy to cut with a pair of scissors. Definitely cut down on the noise, but more important, made a big difference in heat in the console.

If you want to make a major difference, you must do inside the rear wheel wells. Thats where the majority of sound is coming from.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM
montman
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

[QUOTE=jmoney127;1596475892]
I’m fine with the road noise in a stock corvette, mine is more of the added sound from .

Does your car have the optional dual mode exhaust? If so, maybe it's staying open all the time. This can be a very easy, inexpensive fix in most cases. I don't think insulation will cut down on exhaust noise much, maybe 10 percent, since it is a lower frequency and higher energy than road noise. If it's really bugging you, work out the muffler issue first, then go on to insulation.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:45 PM
jmoney127
Pro

[QUOTE=montman;1596476953]
Originally Posted by jmoney127
I’m fine with the road noise in a stock corvette, mine is more of the added sound from .

Does your car have the optional dual mode exhaust? If so, maybe it's staying open all the time. This can be a very easy, inexpensive fix in most cases. I don't think insulation will cut down on exhaust noise much, maybe 10 percent, since it is a lower frequency and higher energy than road noise. If it's really bugging you, work out the muffler issue first, then go on to insulation.
I have kooks headers, x-pipe and Borla Atak Mufflers so it is quite loud. I am exploring my options with a different muffler setup but think sound deadening may also be necessary.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:49 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by montman
I have kooks headers, x-pipe and Borla Atak Mufflers so it is quite loud. I am exploring my options with a different muffler setup but think sound deadening may also be necessary.
Well there's your issue. The Atak system might as well be dumps. Change that to a more sensible setup like the Borla Touring or at most Borla S-Type and you'll be much happier. The people around you will be happier too!

Last edited by 98Pace; 01-29-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sound Deadening Z06

Old 01-29-2018, 05:56 PM
jmoney127
Pro

Originally Posted by 98Pace
Well there's your issue. The Atak system might as well be dumps. Change that to a more sensible setup like the Borla Touring or at most Borla S-Type and you'll be much happier. The people around you will be happier too!
It sounds great but my ears were ringing after my 1000 mike trip home
Old 01-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I treated my entire Grand Sport to the Dynamat and DynaLiner treatment. The difference was very significant, with a 7dB drop in noise at 70 mph. The car is very quiet inside now, similar to a friends BMW 7 series. Here are a couple of photos:

Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I did it on my 08 and I also noticed a big improvement. I used Crazy Cowboy's product. I always had a door panel squeak afterwards I couldn't get rid of and I heard it a lot better.

In my 11 GS Vert and 13 GS I didn't do it. Vert's main noise was from the top so insulating the "bottom" would just make that noise more noticeable. With the 13 I installed TKO's mat product mentioned above. It did help with rear tire noise and the main reason why I would consider either is that it keeps your trunk cool. Lets just say you don't want to pack liquids in the trunk on a hot day if the car sits. Top Flight Reproductions has some good products for the center console and drink holders. Will I insulate the 13? I don't know but I'm getting older with bad joints so I can live with the noise right now. I will probably buy the TKO mats for the trunk heat. Just remember that it will amplify noises that are not covered by the mat and for me the door panels were noisy.

Non run flats will improve things the most, especially coming from Goodyears. But that said I just put RF AS3+s on my 13. They are relatively quiet and since we can do 80 here the exhaust starts making noise at that point anyway.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Z06