C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barrett-Jackson circus

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:35 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by zero11
It’s fun to watch but it’s a joke. It’s people with I call stupid money. As was said it’s guys with too much money proving they can get what they want.
I'm going to sound like a bleeding heart liberal (which I'm not) but with all the hunger, pain and suffering around the world, it's rather appalling IMO.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:48 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I'm going to sound like a bleeding heart liberal (which I'm not) but with all the hunger, pain and suffering around the world, it's rather appalling IMO.

jump in, the water's fine.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

They raised over $6.2 million dollars for charity.
The following users liked this post:
Z0SIS (01-31-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 06:55 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Too bad you find it so appalling. You must not have watched the Saturday night auction of the the Corvette that sold for $1.4M, the entire amount including commissions, went to charity. Here is a quote from the article:

The car sold for $1.4 million. All of the proceeds will go toward the George W. Bush Presidential Center's Military Service Initiative, which helps post-9/11 veterans re-adapt to civilian life.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ns/1051480001/

This was one of several charity auctions held over the week.

As much as I am impressed with these millionaires wielding large sums of money around, I am also impressed with ANYONE who would pay $1.4M for a Corvette he easily could have purchased for less than a tenth of that in any Chevy dealership. But he paid that much for the charitable cause.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlindSpot:
Landru (01-28-2018), ONEBADZ (01-28-2018), Z0SIS (01-31-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Too bad you find it so appalling. You must not have watched the Saturday night auction of the the Corvette that sold for $1.4M, the entire amount including commissions, went to charity. Here is a quote from the article:

The car sold for $1.4 million. All of the proceeds will go toward the George W. Bush Presidential Center's Military Service Initiative, which helps post-9/11 veterans re-adapt to civilian life.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ns/1051480001/

This was one of several charity auctions held over the week.

As much as I am impressed with these millionaires wielding large sums of money around, I am also impressed with ANYONE who would pay $1.4M for a Corvette he easily could have purchased for less than a tenth of that in any Chevy dealership. But he paid that much for the charitable cause.
I didn't watch(no cable for me) that's great to hear. As you stated, I couldn't understand why anyone would pay 10 times more for something that could be bought at the dealership.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:44 AM
RonNSoCal
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There are many successful people who donate large sums to worthy charities out of generosity and the desire to give back, recognizing they have been fortunate. And there are wealthy charlatans who will donate when it serves their interests, like the guy who donated millions to prostate cancer research after being diagnosed with it.

You do not have to be a bleeding heart liberal to see a problem today with the distribution of wealth. For those of us willing to do a little research, it is clear that we are becoming more and more a country of the "haves" and "have nots", with the top controlling an unprecedented portion of the wealth of our nation. And this is why we now see a few spend what seems to be insane money on rare cars. As a car buff who is retired and with no mortgage and an adequate income, there was a time not long ago when I could have easily been able to buy a vintage Corvette but this is not so easy in today's economy. It is what it is.
LowRyter (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 09:59 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

The good thing about America is that in most cases, the "have nots" can become "haves" with some hard work and desire.
Landru (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:57 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by RonNSoCal
There are many successful people who donate large sums to worthy charities out of generosity and the desire to give back, recognizing they have been fortunate. And there are wealthy charlatans who will donate when it serves their interests, like the guy who donated millions to prostate cancer research after being diagnosed with it.

You do not have to be a bleeding heart liberal to see a problem today with the distribution of wealth. For those of us willing to do a little research, it is clear that we are becoming more and more a country of the "haves" and "have nots", with the top controlling an unprecedented portion of the wealth of our nation. And this is why we now see a few spend what seems to be insane money on rare cars. As a car buff who is retired and with no mortgage and an adequate income, there was a time not long ago when I could have easily been able to buy a vintage Corvette but this is not so easy in today's economy. It is what it is.
Well not to feed a political frenzy.....but Bravo and well said Ron, and very accurate. But be careful or we are gonna have to listen to all the "Haves" start preaching that all the "Have nots" think the "Haves" should feel guilty and start giving all their hard earned (in some cases) money away. You are spot on with your charity assessment with some being quite thoughtful, and others just looking out for themselves, or maybe a tax break. I got no problems with the rich, it's just when the rich feel the need to get richer and richer at the cost of others.....
LowRyter (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:22 PM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

In the history of Barrett Jackson they have raised $102 million for charities. Everyone there gets excited when they have a sale for charity. And a lot of times the rich people buying turn around and tell them to sell the car again. Happened 3 times on the log car that sold Thursday. BJ takes no commissions on charity sales. Like I've been saying in this thread it's a great event and experience. And so is Mecum.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 PM
bothred
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Barret Jackson sights

My favorite part of the auction was when the sold sticker was put on the windshield.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2018, 12:04 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

certainly Barrett jackson has left a bad taste for many car collectors and more would be car collectors. They've pretty much priced the hobbyists out. And when the car are worthless, when the rich guys die off, no one will be around to buy them.

Last edited by LowRyter; 01-31-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:16 AM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bothred
My favorite part of the auction was when the sold sticker was put on the windshield.
Agreed...why did they not do a profile on this woman?? The 'sticker girl'.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
...why did they not do a profile on this woman?? The 'sticker girl'.
Butt they did, using best profile possible.
bothred (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 10:10 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
MECUM = Great cars at Great prices!!

Barrett Jackson = Overpriced garage queens.
Same observation from here. Go to Mecum in Florida where they have twice the number of cars, just as nice, and at better prices
Old 01-31-2018, 11:14 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyter
greater fool theory.

and it doesn't look like the younger generations care much about cars. and in all honesty, those muscle cars weren't very good cars.
planned obsolecence. Those cars were only built to last 3 years because evertone got new pnes after 2-3 years. I had a couple and they were bad compared to todays cars. Thank the Japanese for forcing that issue.

Clif
Old 01-31-2018, 05:26 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

coffin's don't come with pockets s if you have it spend it!!!
Old 01-31-2018, 05:30 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z06clif
planned obsolecence. Those cars were only built to last 3 years because evertone got new pnes after 2-3 years. I had a couple and they were bad compared to todays cars. Thank the Japanese for forcing that issue.

Clif
Yea....I know what you're trying to say. But to be honest, maybe we could/should blame the Americans that got the ball rolling by buying the Japanese cars......

Get notified of new replies

To Barrett-Jackson circus

Old 01-31-2018, 06:19 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Yea....I know what you're trying to say. But to be honest, maybe we could/should blame the Americans that got the ball rolling by buying the Japanese cars......
Well this is a little off topic but to give the Devil his due, there really wasnt a market for what the Japanese were selling. We were hooked on our land yachts and fast in a straight line muscle cars. When the American Auto makers seen what was happening
They rushed to build some of the worst cars in history. Also the oil embargo caught us flat footed

Clif
Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I didn't go to Scottsdale this year; but a good friend of mine who does custom builds did. They got $357K for the custom '62 they auctioned; so if you were a seller, this was a pretty good year
Attached Images     

Last edited by Welker1; 02-01-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z06clif
Well this is a little off topic but to give the Devil his due, there really wasnt a market for what the Japanese were selling. We were hooked on our land yachts and fast in a straight line muscle cars. When the American Auto makers seen what was happening
They rushed to build some of the worst cars in history. Also the oil embargo caught us flat footed

Clif
WOOOA there. Are we suggesting that when gas went from 35 cents a gallon to somewhere around $1.50 a gallon that there was no market for what the Japanese were selling ??.....

Quick Reply: Barrett-Jackson circus