C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to buy an 06 today, major fail

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:11 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by salt6
... it was a thousand more than the salesman offered.
I can assure you that happens at every dealership, everyday, everywhere. Stealing a little of the trade is part of the business. Some dealers are generous enough to split it 50/50 with the salesperson, some take more.Their mistake was they weren’t on the same page with each other and inadvertently showed you.

Last edited by 919cw313; 01-08-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

I was in the market last year to buy a new Ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4. My only hard requirement was limited slip and 3.92’s. I found one about 30 miles away and went over to look at it. I get Affiliate pricing so I knew my numbers already. I also was pre approved at my CU for 2% financing for 60 months.

When end I got to the dealer a salesman came right up showed me the truck I wanted. We drove it and I gave him my affiliate PIN number and my CU name and said write it up. Well next thing I know the manager comes in and wants to talk. So I prepare for the BS. Well turns out he wrote a deal coming in 500 less on the truck without using the Affiliate PIN and sense he was a network dealer with my CU he got my rate down to 1.75 %.

All this his and I get free inspections for life and oil changes for two years free. Now that’s service. Wish all dealers were like that.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
...In addition, my time is valuable to me. Whether I'm shopping for a new vehicle, washing machine, whatever, I'm not going to waste hours to save some relatively small amount of money. ...
But I'll drive 2K round trip to pick a new Corvette at the museum any week.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

When I bought my C-6 we walked into a dealership and asked if they had a new black C-6 in inventory. The salesman looked at me with a puzzled look and said "That's one of those big ol'e trucks ain't it?" We left.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

A few more thoughts on this:

Yes, the car dealers need to run their businesses so as to not lose money. From what I've read, and what I've been told, there's not that much profit in the sale of a new car; the sale of a used car has the potential for a much higher profit margin.

However, the sale of any car represents a potential revenue stream in terms of service and accessories. I have to admit that I'm no longer in the business of doing routine oil-changes - it's more hassle than it's worth. I can do brakes, but not tires. And, I've found that the local chevy dealer is more or less trustworthy who I figure won't drop my car off of the lift, or put too much oil in, with a service adviser that I can work with. So, I end up there on occasion. Just listening in (eavesdropping if you will) as people get presented with their bills, they are often $500 and up. I usually hear figures over $1000. We could argue all day whether or not these are fair prices, but the point is that they make a lot of money on service.

The point that follows is that if you are not local (i.e. you drive in with an out of state plate, or have some other non-local sticker), they know you are not coming back. Maybe I give them too much credit, but if I was running their business, I'd certainly try to get the sales force to sell to local customers (i.e. within a reasonable distance) where possible, with a manner that would entice them to come back for service. So, if they were getting a lot of action on a particular car, they might wait a bit to try to sell it locally, and discourage the visitors. If they were that organized.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Cygnus
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
The point that follows is that if you are not local (i.e. you drive in with an out of state plate, or have some other non-local sticker), they know you are not coming back. Maybe I give them too much credit, but if I was running their business, I'd certainly try to get the sales force to sell to local customers (i.e. within a reasonable distance) where possible, with a manner that would entice them to come back for service. So, if they were getting a lot of action on a particular car, they might wait a bit to try to sell it locally, and discourage the visitors. If they were that organized.
I certainly get that logic, however without obvious signs that the potential customer was an out of the area buyer, they would have to take a minute to ask some basic questions. Maybe something like, "so where are from".

Now maybe I simply think a bit differently. If I were a car salesman, and someone drove up in a Corvette and asked about another Corvette, my first thought would be "this should be easy". I wouldn't have to spend any time "convincing" the buyer about the advantages of a vette.

From my experience, most vette people tend to know other vette people. If I were a car salesman, I would think that it would be in my best interest to make a good impression. A happy customer might just tell others about their experience. They might take pics of their new car, share it on facebook or whatever, brag about it a bit and I might get even more customers as a result.

Maybe it's just me, but a happy customer seems to be a much better investment of time and effort.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:49 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero_6
Two years, I went to Cosmo Motors in Hickory,NC. I knew they had a good amount of C5's and C6's. My friend and I started to look around outside first then inside. We spent a good amount of time looking around and not one single person came to us to see if we needed any help. They clearly saw us. Along came a few white folks and they were greeted with open arms and smiles. I was so disgusted and we left to never return. No wonder I didn't seen any "yellow" vettes while I was there. I had another similar experience with Everett Chevrolet of Hickory. I came inside the building to look at a red C6Z and not one person approach me. A few weeks pass and I found my garage queen on CarMax. That experience was a bad too. I paid to have my corvette shipped to CarMax in Hickory. On the day of arrival the salesperson told me that if I didn't buy it that day, it may not be there tomorrow. I was mad and came close to cussing him out. Did the paper work and rushed to my bank to get a loan before it and carmax closed. My first time driving a vette was when I drove mine home.
Well that's because Cosmo sucks. He knows his business, and it's selling online. Unless you know someone there, you don't exist if you're in person. Even if you do, you only half exist. Lots of people just stop by there to look at the fancy cars.

Everett only wants to sell trucks. That's what they sell, that' what they make money on. There's a few guys there that sell vettes, but you have to reach out to them. Easier to sell a truck than a Vette really.

Carmax, I've never had issues with them. They dongonthrough a lot of cars there, especially sports cars for some reason. He was probably just being honest with you, I've seen cars only be there for a day before.

Hickory is a weird market. Small town that sells a TON of cars. The Dodge dealer is the worst, they basically only do business online. They're good at that, but they don't do walk in really. But the days of uncontacted, walk in sales are long gone. People who walk in aren't serious buyers, serious buyers come in online or phone.
The following users liked this post:
amtronic1 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 04:08 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
People will be hard pressed to admit it, but this problem pretty much stems from the customer wanting everything at rock bottom prices and internet shopping several states to get it. The result is not a lot of profit in new cars and these sales jobs for the most part, have turned into low paying professions. As always, you get what you pay for.

This forum is a perfect example of everyone wanting the world but not willing to pay for it. There's thread after thread after thread of everyone driving hours to save a few bucks or bitching their local dealer is ripping them off.
So true. The worst part is that these cars and owners are so particular, it costs way more time to sell to them. As a business they'e going to make way more money ignoring the picky vette buyer and selling several suv trucks or more mundane cars.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Cygnus
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FAUEE
So true. The worst part is that these cars and owners are so particular, it costs way more time to sell to them. As a business they'e going to make way more money ignoring the picky vette buyer and selling several suv trucks or more mundane cars.
In general terms I would agree with you, but when someone shows up to see a specific car that a dealership has been posting online for a month, there isn't a lot to be picky about.

It isn't like we weren't perfectly clear in our intention. We were there to see 1 car with cash in hand.

It had all the options the wife wants, the mileage, and even had some extra little things like a spoiler package that was just a bonus.

This would have been a 30 minute deal if they had bothered to care even a little about selling the car.

As long as it ran right and hadn't changed in some major way since they took the pics, this vette would have come home with us. No question about it.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:42 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess I'm just a little surprised that someone with the intention of buying would not have called ahead considering it was a two hour drive...yeah the service was lacking but you could have saved yourself the trouble by calling ahead and arranging an appointment to meet with someone specifically in regards to that vehicle...oh well good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FAUEE
...But the days of uncontacted, walk in sales are long gone. People who walk in aren't serious buyers, serious buyers come in online or phone.
Yes!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:20 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NYC-Style
I guess I'm just a little surprised that someone with the intention of buying would not have called ahead considering it was a two hour drive...yeah the service was lacking but you could have saved yourself the trouble by calling ahead and arranging an appointment to meet with someone specifically in regards to that vehicle...oh well good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:46 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob K
Two years ago my wife and I took our daughter out looking for a new car. My wife had decided on Subaru Impreza. We went to a local dealer (Fred Beans) and asked to see one. We were told “they are around the back”. A little stunned the three of us walked around back and saw a few that we were interested in. We went back to the showroom and waited 5 minutes while the salesmen talked sports. After being ignored, we left and went down the road to Colonial Subaru. The salesman met us as we got out of my 2015 Tahoe LTZ. He showed us the available inventory and asked if my daughter had ever driven one. She hadn’t, so we took a test drive. She loved the car so we went back to the showroom and talked color/options. She wanted Blue, and he found one at another dealership. We provided the down payment and he got her approved for a loan on the balance.

I had a business at the time and referred quite a few people to Colonial. They were great to deal with.

My other experiance was with Bryner Chevrolet in Jenkintown, Pa. In October I went shopping for something to replace my ‘10 GS Vert. They had a ‘16 Admiral Blue on the lot. The salesman (Joe) was great to work with and I left that afternoon with the ‘16. Two months later they got a ‘16 Black Z51 that I liked better. Joe worked with me and was very fair on the trade/price. They even gave me a discount because i’m a member of the Corvette Club of Delaware Valley.

My wife deals with Thompson BMW in Doylestown, Pa and they treat her royally, both Sales and Service.
I also did not have a good experience the first, and only time, that I went to Fred Beans Subaru in Doylestown. Sounds like things haven't changed much since I left the area. I remember being treated very fairly at Fred Beans Ford at first, before he and Thompson started buying up all the other dealerships in D'town.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:45 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

This story is near unbelievable. I have never experienced this from a dealership. They are usually sharks fighting one another to get a sale.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:10 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd find another dealer. There are a lot of them out there and the variance between them is surprisingly wide. I've interacted with three local Chevrolet dealers recently with very different experiences. When I was shopping for a car Dealer 1 was somewhat disinterested, made me stand around waiting even though I had an appointment, and then finally showed me a car that didn't match their ad. After I bought a car (not from them, but privately), I called Dealer 2 to try to find out service and recall history - they were unhelpful, disinterested, and rude. When I called Dealer 3 they were friendly, helpful, and even excited about my car. You don't have to guess which dealer will have my business in the future.

I have been driving for many years and have never owned an American car before my Corvette. Other than the Corvette I've only driven a GM vehicle maybe 3 or 4 times and all but one time were rental vehicles (the other was a Cadillac track day). My first experience with these dealers will not soon be forgotten and I was certainly surprised with the lack of customer service discipline displayed, especially since they should know that a Corvette owner is usually an enthusiast.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 01-09-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Cygnus
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NYC-Style

Here is my logic. We went to look at 3 vettes on this day. All were within spitting distance of each other. All 3 had been online for more than a month, all are base models, and all roughly priced the same.

Maybe in some other areas of the country 06/07 base models sell fast, but here they tend to sit for a bit.

If the 1st dealer had bothered to act like they wanted to sell the car, or had sold it prior to us arriving, no one would have ever heard about this interaction.

The 2nd dealer treated us very well, we simply passed on the car, no hard feelings.

The 3rd dealer treated us very well, they were in the process of selling the car when we arrived, again no hard feelings.

On top of that, this past Saturday was quite beautiful and gave us the opportunity to pull the top off and enjoy a nice long drive.

While I am hoping to get the wife another vette of her own sooner rather than later (so she won't be driving mine daily) it isn't the biggest deal in our life.

Now if we were out looking for another numbers matching show car, the way we'd go about it would be different, but we are simply looking for a run of the mill daily driver.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:20 PM
flyercatz77
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Kia purchase

Originally Posted by pagosawingnut
Had nearly the same experience while trying to buy a 2017 Silverado. Called the dealership that I've done business with for 15 years and left a message with the salesperson. When he called back, I was in a meeting and I called him back 3 times that same afternoon. No response. I ended up buying from a dealer out of state and got a better deal from them than I would have with the nearly local dealer. However, their service department is outstanding and takes care of my every need. Find a different dealer.
Must be an epidemic. Trying to buy the wife an 18 Kia Sorento. Talked to the salesman/sales mgr. about what I want and and say they will call back and never do. I to have cash in hand. Strange times we live in.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:12 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnus
Got up bright and early this morning, drove 2 hours south to buy a clean 06 coupe only to find out the Chevy dealer had no interest whatsoever in taking my cash.

First the salesman couldn't bother to even introduce himself, but we did manage to ask about the 06. After looking around the lot, he simply decided he couldn't see it and therefor it must be gone.

So I asked several times if he could check and see if it had been sold. Finally he walked into the dealership and found that the car was across the street getting serviced.

He had no idea what was being serviced and didn't care. So after several times asking if he could bother to pick up the phone and call across the street, he finally sighed and made the call.

They told him that the car was being serviced (he had the phone on speaker) and he said thanks and hung up. He never bothered to ask why or how long it might take.

So at this point, I asked if there was anyone there that might want to sell a car this morning.

He looked around once again and said everyone was busy.

I've never in my life had a salesman (of any kind) be so uninterested in making a sale.

If someone had told me that it was possible to be ignored at a car dealership, I wouldn't have believed it.

So in the end, I stuck the cash back in my pocket and walked out. No one even bothered to say goodbye or thanks for stopping in.
I had a highly similar experience with a local dealer, Mark's Casa Chevrolet. It had a nice C6 on the lot. I called but nobody had any idea of details or price.

So I went in to be told only the used car manager could handle this deal. Still no price or info on condition. It looked ok to me from the outside.

I was told manager would get back to me. A day or so later, nothing so I called. Manager busy but will be right back with you. Nothing.

I ended up buying the following day at CarMax and for me, if it's a dealer it'll be CarMax only from here on. Beats me how these places stay in biz.

Last edited by dryadsdad; 01-10-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Tried to buy an 06 today, major fail